Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans United - 20 Years On...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
With respect [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION], I'll have to disagree with you there.
I've supported the club since the late 70's, I'll admit I was not around and there when the club was in turmoil, overseas in my defence.
Even with that, I'm sure that I can speak for a lot of others and myself, that all fans who support the club were most probably following the exploits of the Albion through the media and on forums like NSC, whether they were there or not.
One in, all in:albion2: :thumbsup:

Agreed. The last thing this club needs is any kind of elitist 'I was there' attitude. Any generation of Albion fans would have done the same and those that were there do not need any special medals.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I'd quite forgotten about how foggy it was. Are we really sure that it was Maskell who scored a hat trick?
A great day and one of the highlights of my football supporting life, despite it being the ultimate test for our club.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I was barely 7 years old. I had no idea what was at stake back then. Terrifying to think that if it wasn't for all those who went that day and pushed so hard and fought so long I wouldn't have had the rollercoaster of supporting BHA in my life these past 20 odd years. After reading Build a Bonfire and reading the stuff on here over the years I think I can speak for all the '90s kidz' and younger that we're truly grateful for everything everyone did.

Quick edit - Just because we were born too young to get involved in those days it doesn't mean we are any less of a fan, that line of thought it pathetic. Now, onto the promised land, TOGETHER.

Well said, young man. I have enjoyed reading the reminiscences of my battle hardened compadres of the dark days, but we were fighting for the future of the club and the right of future generations of Albion fans to enjoy the good times and the bad (is that from a song?) On that day I had one thought in mind, the survival of Brighton and Hove Albion; even in my wildest dreams I didn't imagine that we would be where we are today (thanks, Tony).

If I were to have one wish now, it would be that in 10 years time (or so) there will be a threads on NSC reminiscing about our first season in Europe, too.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I remember being in the queue for the north stand, when a fan came along and said he was going to pay to go through the turnstile, open the gates and let everyone in for free.
He was the same bloke who ran on the pitch at the Orient game prior to this to attack their players.
He was true to his word, literally hundreds of fans gained free access to the game.

Jan 30, 2008
I remember being in the queue for the north stand, when a fan came along and said he was going to pay to go through the turnstile, open the gates and let everyone in for free.
He was the same bloke who ran on the pitch at the Orient game prior to this to attack their players.
He was true to his word, literally hundreds of fans gained free access to the game.
I USED TO KNOCK ON A CERTAIN DOOR AND A STEWARD USE TO LET ME IN FOR FREE AT A NUMBER OF HOME GAMES, not what you know but who you know:wink:
regards
DR

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
:whistle:
I USED TO KNOCK ON A CERTAIN DOOR AND A STEWARD USE TO LET ME IN FOR FREE AT A NUMBER OF HOME GAMES, not what you know but who you know:wink:
regards
DR

Thats was the trouble in those days, the kids had no discipline, no sense of right or wrong.

I blame the schools.

D

Deleted member 2719

With respect [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION], I'll have to disagree with you there.
I've supported the club since the late 70's, I'll admit I was not around and there when the club was in turmoil, overseas in my defence.
Even with that, I'm sure that I can speak for a lot of others and myself, that all fans who support the club were most probably following the exploits of the Albion through the media and on forums like NSC, whether they were there or not.
One in, all in:albion2: :thumbsup:

Go on then, your okay you can head up the 'almost understanding Albion fans'.:bhasign::thumbsup:

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
no programme from that day... i had one... but gave it away to a couple from Norwich City who were behind us in the North Stand queue... least i could do!
quite prominent in many newspaper photos that day... continued the protest at the basketball in the evening... and .... quite possibly, allegedly ... may have decorated the front pillars of another of our loathed group's house late that night with some nice banners!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Was a great day traveled down from Croydon on the train which was full of an assortment of supporters from various clubs.

I remember the park was full of laminated messages of good luck, I think that's when I first realised that we had national support even from that lot up the road. It was amazing to see such support of the Albion and the sport. Actually it was great to have a peaceful protest.

I took my place in the North Stand and a couple of Palace fans and one in a Dulwich Hamlet pink shirt were stood in front I couldn't resist and asked them to move after an uncomfortable silence I told them I was only joking and thanked them for their support. At the time I lived in Croydon and had loads of good luck messages from Palace fans, in the main they wanted us to survive, how can you have a rivalry without a rival.

You could argue that Fans United was the beginning of where we are today.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Truly memorable day, still have a box of Eintract Frankfurt matches as a momento. Remember the go left go left chant lead by the Chelsea fan. It must have ended up being far more successful than Warren / Bisa could have ever dreamed.

The only disappointment was the lack of media coverage the following day. But in a way that didn't matter.

Shame the club highlights video didn't do it justice, dreadful voice over.

Looking back, it was perfect timing. Despite all the advantages of social media, I can't see football fans being galvanised enough to replicate fans united on the same scale. Too many teams have gone into administration or have dodgy owners, it's almost the norm

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here