Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tonight's CUP Replays

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I may be wrong but thought they could only overrule if it is offside i.e. a matter of fact. Any other reversal of a decision means the ref needs to look at it again if the Video ref recommends it.

My understanding from listening to Mike Riley earlier is that they review all penalty decisions whether given or not. Plus they will overrule anything that is an obvious mistake.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No. If the VAR felt that the decision was obviously wrong, they would overrule the ref without the ref referring it.

It was a good decision. If VAR had overruled it, they may as well scrap the thing as that is exactly the sort of cheating that it is trying to eradicate.

Interesting that some say pen and others say dive. Is it for certain sure that VAR will correct a ref if his decision is wrong, though? My guess is if he jumps in all certain, like the one here, the VAR guys will leave it to save the embarrassment.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Interesting that some say pen and others say dive. Is it for certain sure that VAR will correct a ref if his decision is wrong, though? My guess is if he jumps in all certain, like the one here, the VAR guys will leave it to save the embarrassment.

As the commentators just said, var guys said it was not an obviously wrong decision so they won't over turn it. they could if it was obviously wrong and is in the penalty area.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Tonights CUP Replays

The only person that thinks it’s a penalty is the **** co-commentating. Coming out with that contact bollocks when it was Willian that caused the contact.

Edit. And the cocks in the studio.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Willian deliberately tripped over the defenders leg rather than the guy deliberately tripping him up. It would have been interesting to see if the VAR would have overruled it had the ref given it.

Shearer etc saying it is a shocking decision! Oh dear, there is no hope for this game.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Right......
I want to see the stripes come out the traps and get into these from the first whistle on Saturday. Not hung ho but have a proper go.
If we instead try to 'keep it tight' I think I'll lose my shit.......
Chelsea are NOT in the same league attacking wise as City, Liverpool or Spurs.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Willian deliberately tripped over the defenders leg rather than the guy deliberately tripping him up. It would have been interesting to see if the VAR would have overruled it had the ref given it.

Shearer etc saying it is a shocking decision! Oh dear, there is no hope for this game.

He didn’t deliberately trip over his leg, no way was that a dive

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My understanding from listening to Mike Riley earlier is that they review all penalty decisions whether given or not. Plus they will overrule anything that is an obvious mistake.

Ref is in charge they will advise him only. Offside is obvious but such as the penalty the ref maybe asked to look if var ref believes he’s made a mistake. The ref is entitled to stay with his decision

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Just checked the rules and you are absolutely correct. The ref can either take their word or look at it himself.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As the commentators just said, var guys said it was not an obviously wrong decision so they won't over turn it. they could if it was obviously wrong and is in the penalty area.

Arghh they can’t overrule it only advise the ref to look at it again

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

As I said earlier, if he had given it, he still would not have made an obvious mistake, so the penalty would stand.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Has Willian suddenly lost the ability to lift his foot three inches off the ground? He was on his way down before he even initiated the contact.

Contact was made therefore you can’t book him for diving. You can debate the penalty all you like.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
VAR will be a nonsense because every decision will be questioned and used to heap more pressure on the refs by the bunch of TRAINED cheats that exist in most of the top 10 EPL teams.
When you have the last generation of trained cheats as pundits it hardly helps.
Shearer is a reason on his own to almost welcome relegation back to the Championship. If his IQ is higher than about 50 I'd be staggered.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here