Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last Minute Holidays

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just wanted to know peoples' thoughts experiences on these? Eg Teletext Holidays etc etc

From what I can see, these genuinely do save you a lot of £s?

We're looking to go away in July (probably first week of school hols unfortunately, possibly the week before if we get permission) 3 adults and a 4/5 year old. Don't really mind where as long as it's hot, near a beech, good for kids etc which I assume will go in our favour when searching our deal.

Happy to book it the week before we go even. Just wondered what NSC's experiences were..? :clap2::wave:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Go to a travel agent the day before you intend to travel and ask them what they have available.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Good thread, I've never been brave enough to risk it myself so would welcome other peoples experiences.

I've always assumed that the best hotels (in terms of reviews/ratings) would be long since sold out.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Isn't that a bit risky?!

Well you said you don't mind where it is etc. It's not as if they won't have any holidays left. I've never done it this way but a friend has and the savings are well worth the risk if you're unfussy with regards to destination.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well you said you don't mind where it is etc. It's not as if they won't have any holidays left. I've never done it this way but a friend has and the savings are well worth the risk if you're unfussy with regards to destination.

Yes mate - we're not that fussy but not sure I'd want to go THAT last minute as we'd have booked the time off etc and worst of all if I let my little girl down I'd be mortified :lol: and so would she!

I was thinking more online, the week before...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The choice is not as good as it was years ago as the travel operators are far more accurate in predicting demand in adavance these days. If you are in any way choosy you will probably get a better deal by booking early! But, if you really are flexible and happy to use what is left unsold at the last minute you can get a bargain, just do not expect 5 star at 1 star prices, it ain't gonna happen.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Yes mate - we're not that fussy but not sure I'd want to go THAT last minute as we'd have booked the time off etc and worst of all if I let my little girl down I'd be mortified :lol: and so would she!

I was thinking more online, the week before...

Give ice lolly a shout they're pretty decent with late deals.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Go to a travel agent the day before you intend to travel and ask them what they have available.

& they will probably say sod all.

You might get lucky I suppose, but as you want to go away in the school holidays, I fancy the chances are going to be slim.

Is there no way that you could try to book it a bit earlier? and are you restriced to those exact dates?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I book flights early for the cheap deals and then search the internet for self catering accommodation. Sometimes I make a booking on bookings.com that has a free cancellation until a few days before travel and then keep looking for cheaper deals.

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
I've used sunmaster several times and never had a problem but when you price it up on the Web the prices aren't live and normally be around £80 more when you go through to pay for it

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
In general terms you don't get the same deals as 10+ years ago particularly for Short Haul. The advent of the Low Cost Carriers providing a lot more capacity to short haul destinations and the now limited number of package companies who have reduced the number of aircraft they fly means that demand actually outstrips supply. Think of it in the way of the Low Cost model - seats are cheaper the earlier you book them - you are never going to get a "deal" 2 weeks before with an Easyjet/Monarch/Ryanair flight. That's how the market has changed..

These last minute deals are possibly still available with the Package boys but it's a high risk strategy, particularly in School Holiday time.

Gary Hart's Stalker

Jul 17, 2013
Gary Hart's Bush
A trick to getting a good price online is to not keep navigating away and returning to it. The more a holiday/flight (or anything of variable price) is clicked on, the more 'interest' flags it creates. If a holiday company believe there is more interest in something, they will put the price up. I experienced this first hand when myself and 3 friends were looking for a weekend in Munich. I sourced a reasonable deal and shared the link with them all. By the time all three of them had looked at it, the price had gone up considerably.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Sheebo, if you're looking for a decent family holiday, you could check out Menorca. Not sure what prices are like now for school holidays, but if you pm Supaseagull, he'll be happy to give you loads of info.

Oh, and btw, saw your Dad on Griff Rees Jones programme on the south downs & he looked extremely dapper in his morris dancing outfit!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here