Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Cows milk

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Oh how wrong you are ....

The father of my son-in-law [to-be] is a farmer and he keeps a male-only herd of cattle - apparently, they make for jolly nice steaks at 2 years and fetch a few bob at market - so no shooting male calves at birth up this way as they are seen as a valuable asset.

I understand that there are exceptions, and by no means do all male calves get shot. Lots of them go for beef, which frankly is probably better than being a female cow.

There are around 2 million calves born in the UK each year. Let's say half are male. Of these, there is about a 50/50 split between pure dairy breeds and beef/dairy mixed breeds. Around half of the pure dairy breeds will be reared for beef, low quality stuff but at least they get to live in a shithole for a year before they are slaughtered. The survival rates aren't that high because there isn't a lot of financial incentive to keep them well looked after. Still, they're only cows.

If you break it down, there are around 125,000 bull calves shot almost immediately upon birth each year. I suppose it's not a massive number to many of us, but I find the whole thing shocking. The dairy industry is the worst of them all. It's disgusting.

I was a massive milk drinker and despite everything I have watched and read, it doesn't stop me missing milk. I don't 'feel sick' looking at milk or watching other people drink it. I don't judge other people because it's all too easy to not know about these things or not think about it. But because I do know and have seen it, I try to keep it in mind when I;m annoyed that I can't have a bowl of Shreddies at two AM.

:moo:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
With over 75 percent of humans on the planet unable to properly process it, it is evidence enough that we are not doing what is natural and in accordance with our bodies.

Fully agree with your whole post. The other evidence for me is that we are not cows :) You don't see people harping on about the benefits of rat milk, or dog milk. But it's no different - it's just another mammal that isn't a human. Why don't we milk chimps?

Imagine the fury in this country if someone started up a dolphin farm and kept them constantly impregnated to produce tasty fish milk. Slaughtering the young males as there wasn't a market for their flesh? I bet there would be total outrage, without a single shred of irony. It's amazing how disgusted people are when the subject of the Japanese whaling or dolphin cull is discussed. Yet that practice goes on here in immense numbers every day, just with a different mammal.

Cows and Blue Whales have very similar brain to mass ratios and are reckoned to have similar intelligence levels.

The British dairy industry spends well over £100m a year on advertising, which probably helps reinforce the positive message.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I love milk, thank you. Drink semi-skimmed now on medical advice, but I do remember how wonderful farm fresh milk tasted when I worked on a farm in the school holidays when I was a lad. No intention of giving it up, and impervious to any arguments telling me I should feel bad about it. I don't!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I love milk, thank you. Drink semi-skimmed now on medical advice, but I do remember how wonderful farm fresh milk tasted when I worked on a farm in the school holidays when I was a lad. No intention of giving it up, and impervious to any arguments telling me I should feel bad about it. I don't!

That's fair enough really, it's entirely your decision what you do and whether you feel bad about it or not. I can't say I blame you, I drank it for the vast majority of my life so far and loved it, didn't ever feel bad about it.

This is always a laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN7EYMhMyu0

"Would you drink that madness" :D

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've given cow's milk alternatives a go.

I wished I liked coconut because that milk was nice and light. Hate almond, so could never like that one. Oat milk is fine but the winner is cashew for me.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I understand that there are exceptions, and by no means do all male calves get shot. Lots of them go for beef, which frankly is probably better than being a female cow.

There are around 2 million calves born in the UK each year. Let's say half are male. Of these, there is about a 50/50 split between pure dairy breeds and beef/dairy mixed breeds. Around half of the pure dairy breeds will be reared for beef, low quality stuff but at least they get to live in a shithole for a year before they are slaughtered. The survival rates aren't that high because there isn't a lot of financial incentive to keep them well looked after. Still, they're only cows.

If you break it down, there are around 125,000 bull calves shot almost immediately upon birth each year. I suppose it's not a massive number to many of us, but I find the whole thing shocking. The dairy industry is the worst of them all. It's disgusting.

I was a massive milk drinker and despite everything I have watched and read, it doesn't stop me missing milk. I don't 'feel sick' looking at milk or watching other people drink it. I don't judge other people because it's all too easy to not know about these things or not think about it. But because I do know and have seen it, I try to keep it in mind when I;m annoyed that I can't have a bowl of Shreddies at two AM.

:moo:

Top of the food chain! :clap:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Losing it's way? it's totally lost it's way here in Cowfold. Like most families we uised the services of the local milkman in times gone by, but certainly here it is impossible to get milk delivered now, even if you want it.

Just around the corner from my house is a dairy originating from late Victorian/early Edwardian times. It is the ground floor of a house but the shop and dairy is still in its original condition with glazed green tiles and the name above the window in gold leaf, out the back is the dairy with the doors where they would have loaded the huge churn onto the horse and cart for delivery to the local houses. It is not used for anything but I love looking at it everyday, I have not seen another one anywhere.
I know this has got F all to do with anything but I thought I would mention it.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
One problem with a lot of milk alternatives is that many of them contain crap like stabilisers, sweeteners etc. Oatly and Rude Health are two that I'm fairly sure don't, not sure about any others.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One is always best returning to the nearest natural source. Butter, cows milk, whole grains. Far better for you than any of these fancy fad alternatives.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes I'm sure if we put you in a room with a lion or a bear, or in a pool with a great white or a crocodile you'd come out top of the food chain. #GoodTimes

Back in the world we currently live in............

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Big Cat Top of the Food Chain

How many people are killed each year by cats, bears, sharks and crocodiles combined? Now tot up the reverse numbers. The human race is currently at the apex of the food chain whether you like it or not.

By the way, more people are killed here every year by horses, than by crocs, snakes, spiders and sharks combined.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Who else do you think cows milk is for?

If you pop down the supermarket [with your glasses on] you'll see racks of the stuff being bought by humans ....

I've also heard many cats are partial to a saucer of cow's milk too.

Couldn't say with absolute certainty but I reckon the new-born's at e.g. zoos [and lambs on farms] that are rejected by their mothers are hand-reared on bottled cow's milk too.

Or have I caught your hook?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I am in a group of Caucasians from Europe who are 'lactase persistent' and happily tolerate,and enjoy,cows milk.Apparently we are a minority grouping of about 25% of the human population,according to the latest research.:cheers:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If you pop down the supermarket [with your glasses on] you'll see racks of the stuff being bought by humans ....

I've also heard many cats are partial to a saucer of cow's milk too.

Couldn't say with absolute certainty but I reckon the new-born's at e.g. zoos [and lambs on farms] that are rejected by their mothers are hand-reared on bottled cow's milk too.

Or have I caught your hook?

They may be 'partial to it,' but you shouldn't give cow's milk to cats, especially not adult cats. You should only ever give them a bowl of water, as per dogs.

Most cats are lactose intolerant. This means that they don't have the enzymes needed to digest the lactose in milk. Lactose is a type of sugar found in milk. When cats drink cow's milk, they can end up with painful stomach cramps and diarrhea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here