Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] David Brent: Life on the Road

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Wasn't Chuck Norris only in Way of the Dragon?

My favourite scene.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed as classic. In my Top 5. Keith's appraisal is probably No.1.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Very much looking forward to this! Big fan of the office. I think gervais knows the difference with the office and doing too much with it.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
For those that are worried about this not being good because Merchant is not involved this time should remember that sit com he wrote about being in America (LA I think)
Parts of it were quite funny but I thought most of it was weak, I cannot even remember what it was called or if a 2nd series was made.
Generally though I find Merchant very funny.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
For those that are worried about this not being good because Merchant is not involved this time should remember that sit com he wrote about being in America (LA I think)
Parts of it were quite funny but I thought most of it was weak, I cannot even remember what it was called or if a 2nd series was made.
Generally though I find Merchant very funny.

It was called Hello Ladies, it was adapted from his stand up show of the same name. Never got a second series. I agree that while parts were quite funny overall it wasn't that good.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
New trailer out. Watch if you dare.

They're repeating the original series' on telly and I caught the '20 Questions' episode last night - just utterly magnificent stuff. This, however? What to make of this?

I know it's up to Gervais to do what he likes with Brent, and I know I don't have to watch the new film, but really, does he really need to make this film? It looks ****ing AWFUL.

[yt]2THODznVOt8[/yt]

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
David Brent
Okay, gather. Well there’s good news and bad news. The bad news is Neil will be taking over both branches and some of you will lose your jobs. Yeah, yeah. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon if you wanna. I know, I know. Gutting, gutting…

On a more positive note the good news is I’ve been promoted… so… every cloud.

You’re still thinking about the bad news aren’t you?

Woman in the office
Yeah.

Man in the office
There’s no good news David, there’s only bad news and irrelevant news.

David Brent
Yeah, that’s not a phrase though, is it? I couldn’t come out and go “Oh I got some bad news and some irrelevant news.”

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
New trailer out. Watch if you dare.

They're repeating the original series' on telly and I caught the '20 Questions' episode last night - just utterly magnificent stuff. This, however? What to make of this?

I know it's up to Gervais to do what he likes with Brent, and I know I don't have to watch the new film, but really, does he really need to make this film? It looks ****ing AWFUL.

[yt]2THODznVOt8[/yt]

Agreed - it does look poor. Had high hopes for this but, unless the reviews are positive, I'm out.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the character of David Brent will live on and continue to be successful provided Gervais can continue to come up with interesting supporting characters that push and pull the David Brent character around.

Alan Partridge and Mid-Morning Matters could have gone horribly wrong but in Dave Clifton and Sidekick Simon they cast brilliant performers in supporting roles that continued to bring out the occasionally lighter but mainly darker side of Partridge, particularly the bitterness caused by previous failures and his new-found jealousy of youth. What we got was a character in his mid-50s who was behaving like a man in his mid-50s.

The danger with the Gervais film is that the 54-year old character might still be exactly the same one as in 2001.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
The office is one of the best "modern" comedies. I cannot wait for this.

They did a great job on the xmas special which i thought couldn't live up to the series. I have a feeling this will be awesome too.

El vino did flow :)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Agreed - it does look poor. Had high hopes for this but, unless the reviews are positive, I'm out.

First trailer looked pretty good, second one and my expectations have plummeted. Looks awful now and like they'd used the best bits in the first trailer. Think I'll stick to watching Alan Partridge Scissored Isle again.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I wonder if "Gervais" is reading this thread & wondering if he's done the right thing?

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Myself and my mates are all big The Office fans but we are all rather wary of the potential for this film to be bad.

The Office is up there as my favourite ever comedy. I still remember tuning in for the first episode and and spending the first few minutes wondering if this was real or a sit-com. Both series' of The Office are excellent but I did find they took the cringeworthy level up a notch in the second series. This may have been down to Stephen Merchant as his Hello Ladies show was extremely cringey.

So the lack of Merchant this time round will be interesting and could drag the movie down. I sincerely hope not though as due to my love of David Brent, I am praying this will be good.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here