Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you have a favourite pause in music?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Phantom II - Justice. Remember Luke Slater playing this in Berghain and really messing with it, really building it up before the break then dropping it....best club moment ever by far.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Hard To Explain - The Strokes
Helicopter - Bloc Party
Like A Daydream - Ride
Cubik- 808 State
Voodoo Ray (Original Mix) - A Guy Called Gerald

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Couldn't Stand The Weather - Stevie Ray Vaughan. Third pause in the intro. Slightly longer than the first two. Very difficult for a band to pull off. He was the best guitarist though!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
The Jam - opening bars of 'Burning Sky' - Track 1 Side 2 of 'Setting Sons'. Reinforced years later by my son (without prompting) pinpointing the exact same moment as being a musical moment that made his spine tingle.

Stretching it a bit to call it a pause but the "1,2,3,4..." bit in "Born To Run". Live in concert pause was also Bruce and the E Street Band at Earls Court in 2002 - cracking live version of "Thunder Road", brief pause then "1,2..." and straight into the aforementioned "BTR".

Going back to the initial post saw Thin Lizzy at the Centre in early '80's - they did "Cowboy Song" as per "Live and Dangerous" but then Phil Lynott (up there as one of the greatest rock front men imho) wound the audience up a treat by claiming that they had forgotten "The Boys Are Back In Town"and they got bored playing it! ..Of course they played it!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
All I really Want - Alanis Morissette

"Why are you so petrified by silence, here can you handle this (3.01-3.11)

Couldn't Have Said it Better - Meat Loaf (ft Patti Russo)

"Just say nothing, don't say a word, silence is gold, don't say a word..." (3.12-3.26)

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Come up and see me ....

is both my favourite and second favourite pause

a few years ago Steve Harley was on R5 giving bad horse racing tips and stated that the Wedding Present did it best .......

....I reckon The Wedding Present get mentioned in at least as many threads on here as Bobby Zamora

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
"Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis", RVW. Riddled with suggestions of pauses. Glorious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here