Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazing review of County Oak pub in the Argus

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
You either do reviews or you don't, can't sugar coat an abysmal visit. I doubt the puke incident and pissed up staff statements are made up, so surely a fair review?

I bet they are made up. The argus can very economical with the truth when it wants to write a story a particular way.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If true, the main point seemed to be locals being aggressive and threatening to anyone they didn't know. If true, then no sympathy

Quite. Plus somebody chucked up over the bloke's shoes before he'd even set foot inside the door. Some bennies on the Argus comments saying not to judge a pub on the strength of one visit, but, with all the bars in all the world, why on earth would somebody who'd walked in off the street want to pay this one a second visit? We've all done similar in writing off pubs. Great review!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Having played darts there a few times as part of an away team this seems a very accurate review

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
These sorts of pubs are few and far between in Brighton these days. I'll have to give the place a visit.

Only other pubs in town that I know of which are in this mould would be the Branch, the Bat and Ball and the Freshfield Inn. There's a ropey looking one on Lewes Road I've never been in too, the Franklin perhaps? But I can't comment as I've never braved it.

The Rosehill used to be a bit of a dive but that's long gone now. The Charles Napier is rough by Hanover standards but that's only because the Spreadeagle closed down so the local ne'erdowells had to relocate.

The Golden Cannon is probably Kemptown's most "working class" boozer, with horses on the telly all the time, but it's generally friendly and tidy, and it serves good beer, so I wouldn't put it there with the likes of the Branch et al.

I don't often venture north of Preston Park though, so perhaps there are some Hangleton drinking holes I'm unaware of that could fall into the same category?

Any more for any more?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
These sorts of pubs are few and far between in Brighton these days. I'll have to give the place a visit.

Only other pubs in town that I know of which are in this mould would be the Branch, the Bat and Ball and the Freshfield Inn. There's a ropey looking one on Lewes Road I've never been in too, the Franklin perhaps? But I can't comment as I've never braved it.

The Rosehill used to be a bit of a dive but that's long gone now. The Charles Napier is rough by Hanover standards but that's only because the Spreadeagle closed down so the local ne'erdowells had to relocate.

The Golden Cannon is probably Kemptown's most "working class" boozer, with horses on the telly all the time, but it's generally friendly and tidy, and it serves good beer, so I wouldn't put it there with the likes of the Branch et al.

I don't often venture north of Preston Park though, so perhaps there are some Hangleton drinking holes I'm unaware of that could fall into the same category?

Any more for any more?

Grenadier might fit that category.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I bet they are made up. The argus can very economical with the truth when it wants to write a story a particular way.

The words "Argus" and "Truth" in the same sentence. Now that's a first.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Any more for any more?

The Stanmer Park used to have an interesting clientele but I gather it's gone a bit upmarket these days. The Jolly Brewer never lived up to its name and The Hollingbury wasn't the sort of place to order a chorizo and rocket focaccia ... but I haven't been in any of those for about 12 years (actually about 30 years since I was last in the Brewer).

The Hiker's was one until it closed: I gather that when it reopens, it's going to have a completely different look. But that rebranding hasn't harmed the Bevy, which is a pretty decent pub.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The Stanmer Park used to have an interesting clientele but I gather it's gone a bit upmarket these days. The Jolly Brewer never lived up to its name and The Hollingbury wasn't the sort of place to order a chorizo and rocket focaccia ... but I haven't been in any of those for about 12 years (actually about 30 years since I was last in the Brewer).

The Hiker's was one until it closed: I gather that when it reopens, it's going to have a completely different look. But that rebranding hasn't harmed the Bevy, which is a pretty decent pub.

Yeah the Hikers will have a completely different look alright, I've heard it's to reopen as a Chemists!!
:rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here