Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Tony Bloom spent £274 million on the Albion

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As a fan, we alll want Tony Bllom to receive a return on his investment but will he ask or accept it. The risk for him would be a lack of investment in players needed to establish ourselves? 3-5 yrs in the EPL would lead to the debt being repaid. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Does anyone think he's seriously looking for a return as his top priority ? He's very, very smart commercially - so he wouldn't be investing in football if he was in it for the money.

He's 'lucky' that he's so successful as a businessman he can indulge in something he very obviously loves. We're almost unique in that these days - a local 'man and boy' owner who does it for the love of the club, and because he can. May be wrong but I don't think a commercial return on his investment is a driver for him.

****ing hell we're blessed to have him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
El Pres - do you think the club will be able to budget to repay the loan from TB at say £15m annum?

The club's income for 2017/18 will be £130m, up from £25m last season. (Benchmark - Southampton's was £121m in 2015/16 with £90m of TV money).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He won't get his money back.

This season I anticipate losses (after paying bonuses) in excess of £40 million.

The club will benefit by at least £100 million next season IF we make the Premier League, but the average wage bill there is £111 m compared to £23 m in the Championship. Add in the extra spent on players, and we will be doing well to break even in the EPL.

View attachment 84131

View attachment 84132

The median rather than mean average wage bill is more relevant to Brighton. The latter is distorted by the giants. It appears that a maximum payroll cost of £80m is our range. But that cost won't happen overnight. The say 18 retained current players won't get a 400% pay rise!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Spending loads of money on players is not necessarily a recipe for success. I don't expect us to go crazy but take five loanee players such as Tomori and Tammy A. (from bristol city) who will fit in with what we have and won't cost a huge amount of wages. Keep the majority of the squad and see where we are in January. This will depend on both Stephens and Stockdale staying. If not replacements for these will cost 10 million or so. This is a conservative approach but I also think i it is sensible. Burnley seem to have done ok without spending huge amounts whereas Middlesborough took the other route and are likely to pay for it. We have seen in the championship that big spenders don't produce the best teams.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Spending loads of money on players is not necessarily a recipe for success. I don't expect us to go crazy but take five loanee players such as Tomori and Tammy A. (from bristol city) who will fit in with what we have and won't cost a huge amount of wages. Keep the majority of the squad and see where we are in January. This will depend on both Stephens and Stockdale staying. If not replacements for these will cost 10 million or so. This is a conservative approach but I also think i it is sensible. Burnley seem to have done ok without spending huge amounts whereas Middlesborough took the other route and are likely to pay for it. We have seen in the championship that big spenders don't produce the best teams.

Agree with that, the squad will have to have some additions, but the core should remain from the squad that got us there. Don't think you can overestimate the togetherness of this squad, indeed the whole club, and how that has driven us to have such a successful season. I have every confidence that Hughton/Bloom/Barber/Winstanley will have a policy of evolvement of the squad, not revolution

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Its not all about P&L. TB has an asset of significant value. swansea sold 60% for £110m a year or so ago. His asset is up to £200m. I suspect he thinks he can make a small profit as well

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Burnley's squad has cost £51m.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Its not all about P&L. TB has an asset of significant value. swansea sold 60% for £110m a year or so ago. His asset is up to £200m. I suspect he thinks he can make a small profit as well

This is what is suspect will happen TB will allow investment in the club repaying a sum of his outlay whilst retaining majority control

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
TBH just not having to cough up £30-40m next season must be as good as any repayment.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
TBH just not having to cough up £30-40m next season must be as good as any repayment.

Assuming that's the loss for this season,would we be compliant,had we stayed down,assuming of course we are going up...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I thought teams were only allowed TWO loanees in the PL ?

So, I reckon we'll get the 2 loans, and 3-4 full transfers ( depending on Stockdale and Stephens, and perhaps including Pocognoli ).

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
£274 million...jeesus wept

Do you think your Infrastructure will keep you up next season ....serious question

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here