Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grand National 2017

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
I've been playing this since last April and the following four are my main bets to win nice amounts of cash:

Vieux Lion Rouge is the fav now but I have backed him at 33/1, 25/1 and 20/1. He's a worthy fav with decent form over these fences and he looks a different horse to last season as he's really seeing his races out, and he will need to here. He will be close to the pace I would think. If I had one pick it would be him. 12/1 now.

The Young Master was my long term bet for this and I've been backing him since he won the Whitbread last year at 33/1. He fell in the Bechers and then all but pulled up in a hurdle race but showed signs of life when 6th in a handicap at Cheltenham last time. The going will suit and he will be able to go with the early pace too. Still very backable at 22/1.

Cause Of Causes has won at the last three Cheltenham Festivals including the Cross Country this season and I backed him at 40/1 and 33/1 earlier this year. I am slightly concerned he will be left too far out the back by Codd and have too much to do. I wouldn't be rushing to back him at 16/1 now to be honest.

Raz De Maree at all prices from 60 to 50 on the machine. Before Christmas it won the Cork National for the second time in its career over 3 ½ miles and then was a strong finishing 2nd to Native River in the Welsh National and that horse went on to finish a very close 3rd in the Gold Cup. He is a solid jumper – has never fallen, he has been brought down once and unseated once when hampered and at the age of 8 jumped round here to finish 8th to Pineau de Re. He will also be staying on late.

I would urge everyone to take the price on the horse they fancy when they place the bet as the on-course bookies cut everything they can.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
As usual, I've backed a quarter of the field.
Cause of Causes, Definitely Red and Vicente the biggest players for me but Perfect Candidate is worth a look at 50s

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
As usual, I've backed a quarter of the field.
Cause of Causes, Definitely Red and Vicente the biggest players for me but Perfect Candidate is worth a look at 50s

Same here, well 10% !!

Vieux Lion Rouges
The Young Master
Pleasant Company
Highland Lodge

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I've gone Vicente, Pleasant Company, Last Samuri, Cause of Causes and Shantou Flyer

Decent shout, that one, for an outsider,.Was on my shortlist but I saw Cue Card breeze past it earlier this year so felt stamina might be its undoing.

waterhouse

Feb 22, 2009
somerset
£10 E/W & £20 on the nose for Saphir Du Rheu placed the bet at 22-1 fingers crossed for a big win on top of last nights great result and Newcastle and Huddersfield downfall

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I've had a bet but won't say who so I can upset the "expert" bores if I win!

Jul 7, 2003
Such an open race this year I have spread my bet around. Vieux Lion Rouge, Pleasant Company, Saphir Du Rheu, Shantou Flyer and of course Vicente.

Spending the winnings from picking up on Dineur on Thursday at 25-1

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Had money on Vicente and definitly red. Wonderful.

It was classic Vicente really

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Promised so much, but didn't last long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here