Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nights out in Brighton on the Late 70s - Early 80s

Oddsocks

May 1, 2012
This is very sad - remember Heinz, the glass collector of Druids Head (he is still there as far as I know)? Well he only ever got paid cash and never banked his money. I heard he got robbed of everything he ever earned collecting glasses, other than what he'd spent.....He must have been at the Druids for circa 30 years!!!!!!!!! There's probably not a generation that doesn't know him.

He was/is a Brighton icon and deserves a statue in his honour in that square, he didn't deserve to be robbed!

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
kenny lynn ?

Top Rank - wasn't that the awful Phil Leppard? (nick named Phil Leppar by us, due to his out of touch music often, a naff moustache, twice as old as the patrons, and wouldn't play requests due to his intransigence overt his music choices...i.e. Rock the Boat, years after it was popular).

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That was in the Kingsway Court. Saw the Albion in there many times led by Fossie and sometimes with Jimmy Melia and his ex-model wife/gf. That was before he got fired obviously.

Yeah that was the original Scotty's, but then for a time it either moved to or opened another, not at the beach level arches but those half way up further East.

A little shout for Zipperdeedoodars !!

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Yeah that was the original Scotty's, but then for a time it either moved to or opened another, not at the beach level arches but those half way up further East.

A little shout for Zipperdeedoodars !!

Remember (through a drunken haze) there in the early 1990's.
Low budget decor, but fantastic cold bottled lagers.

Now flats.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
re hienz at the druids,
he was an old mate of mines dad, and wasnt actually robbed, he used to carry all his cash with him, and one day he left it on the bus home...

Last edited:

AndyKingsDaughter

Jul 26, 2012
Hi,
I just stumbled on this thread and had a very happy hour reading all the reply's and remembering my own happy clubbing days. Starting in 1974 and finishing about 1990 I had 16 years of hardcore pubbing and clubbing. I was out on the razz most nights of the week. As I remember it:
Top Rank at the bottom of West Street housed, The Suite which became Oceania. That had the Syd Dean band playing half the night and a DJ called Phil Leppard in the 70,s/80's. Around the front of the building was Jenkinsons cabaret bar with resident band Bobby Samson (they were socks down his trousers). That went on to become Coasters with the dancing on the bar barmaids and the very gay DJ Rory and his tranny mate Biba. Next to that and down stairs was The Revolution. The Rev became Metro and then Busby,s. This was one of my favourites. DJ's Dougie Mac, Martin Jay, Andy King all kept in line by the managers Pat Shevlin and Big Pete in his white jacket. There was also cinemas, an ice rink and a roller rink in there.
Across the road was Sherrys, in my opinion the best club in town. DJ's Chino, Kenny Lynn, the go-go dancers, the live bands, the fights, the bouncers. WOW what a place. It had a lot of student nights on quite nights for EF language school. Lots of lovely scandinavian crumpet! We thought EF stood for EASY F***. Moving up West stree a couple of yards you came to the Queen Anne with Swifts night club and the box basement. Always rammed packed on a Friday before the clubs. A few more feet and you had Fawas's kebab and burger place and Harry Brigg's Pool Parlour. Both were full of Brightons villains and dodgy geysers and I loved going to em both. A few more feet and stumble in to the Bosun for a few drinks and a punch up then cross the road to the downstairs Bentley's club which later became marilyns.
Going west along the front would take you to Midnight Blues club under the Grand hotel and on to the Abinger pub, The Mardi Gras, The Bonsoir club.
North of West Street you had the drinking club in Queens Square, Sloopys up Dyke Road and the William Tell pub in Queens Road. Through the lanes/East street area you could find. The Pavilion Tavern (Pav Tav), Shades, The Sussex, The Druids Head, Deryck Carvers, the Clarence Wine Bar, Hennekys, The Cricketers, Bath Arms, Pump House, Golden Fleece, The Sea house in Middle Street and The Smugglers (with Night Fever Disco above) with the limping curly haired King Gerry on the decks . The Seven Stars in Ship Street was always packed. Move on back to the sea front and turn left, passed the curtain club (gay), the Alhambra/The Inn place and the Kings 1 before reaching The Pickwick. This pub at the end of East Street and next to the ABC cinema was owned by Michael and Freddie Forte and had 3 seperate venues. Downstairs was a dingy club, Fagins wine bar and cocktail lounge was on the ground floor, and up stairs was the best soul/funk club in Brighton TOPPERS with the amazing DJ Martin Jay. Around the corner you could grab a granny Junction club in the old steine and another great club was the Papillion underneath the Albion hotel. Cross the road to the Hungry Years and the Savanah/Escape/Revenge and Buccaneer.
Obviously these were at different periods of my party life and not all one one evening. However and werever you had been you had to end up at one of the greasy spoons. The Aqua in the Old Steine (Big Liz and her equally large daughters) for a plate of grease or the Market Diner at the Fruit and Veg market for a Gutbuster. Sorry for the long response I hope it jolts some memories.

Andy King is my Dad!!!

hbh1

Jan 5, 2009
First pub I ever got served in Brighton was William IV. Then Friday nights used to be Shades with the BHASVIC crowd. Saturdays were usually Sea House (playing pool upstairs), then Fagans (downstairs). Clubbing used to be the Suite or The Metro (changed to Busbys). Sometimes we went early to Valmonellas for half-price "happy hour" whisky & cokes or even (and I have no idea why we did this) Pernod & blacks - what were we thinking??? When I was at school, I used to go to an under 18s club at the bottom of Dyke Road - think it was called Snoopy's, or something like that?

Now living in Eastbourne, I was delighted to find last week (after being here since 2005) an Uncle Sams here! Now that's a burger!

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Always started in the Whitehawk,round the corner to the Clyde,then the Rock.
Maybe a few more through Kemp Town where we maybe wouldn't go these days?
Then the Bosun,Lamb and Flag or Pump House and through the Lanes.
I remember a massive kick off in Sherrys one night when think it was Chelsea got in and there were people being thrown off the balcony.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
A nostalgia thread.

Me and the 'boys' used to meet up most Fridays and also some Saturdays to discuss topics current and partake of ale and fine wine.

Now we had a set route as a form of tradition.

This is as follows:

The Volunteer
Shades
The Sussex
The Druids Head
The Deryck Carver
Hennekeys
Busbys or Pink Coconut.

Question were you a face around the pubs in those days - what tales do you have of these extablishments.

A well trodden track from east to west, couldn't move in Shades, always so busy and then crossing down via the other pubs ending up in one of the three or four night clubs that the town at that time had. Most distinct memory was the stink of cigarettes on your clothes the following morning and seeing the haze across pubs in those days, some things have changed for he better!

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Top Rank Suite on Monday nights in the summer - 1978-80? - Radio One DJs would regularly be the guest DJs. None of the foreign students of course had a clue who they were! I remember one Monday night, a huge fight broke out on the dance floor at the beginning of David 'Kid' Jensen's set.....so The Kid, trying to be unfazed, says in his cringeworthy way amidst flying glasses and chairs....'and now it's not quite what we've got on the dance floor right now, but let's hope for 'Love is in the Air' - it's what John Paul Young's singing about...... cue more fights, lights full up and police arrive mob handed.

After a burger at Grubbs (the waitress was my guilty pleasure) by Hills of Hove, we'd head on to Pips Wine Bar - on the corner opposite the Town Hall in Prince Albert Street.

Happy days indeed.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here