Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'toughness' of the Championship 2015-16 edition

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Think we'll be hard to beat and Hughton will have us very organised.

We do have more competition across the back 4 and with the keeper(s) - all good. We do have more competition in midfield (Crofts returning and Stephens with a full pre-season) and more quality with Kayal who looks like a real player.

Attacking third and heading has been bolstered by Israel's no.10 - but he's unproven and the rest of our forward players must reinvent themselves after a hopeless 2014/15.

Don't the experts say that 18 clubs set out with realistic ambitions of achieving success in this division? It is bloody tough but also very unpredictable.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
We've got no chance of challenging for the top 6. At the moment, I'm more worried that I can't many teams we are capable of finishing ahead of. Maybe Rotherham?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It's not looking good for the Albion as things stand. Our bestest team may be able to compete a bit but once the injuries, suspensions and lack of form kick in the current squad is going to be making a beeline for the bottom of the division.

I suppose we have to "keep the faith" and hope that we do actually land some decent creative and pacey front men before the window closes. Get the impression we'll be left with the dregs and rather average loans again if we don't make our moves soon though :down:

Very unlike you Icy Gull. You even remained positive when we were playing dire football under Oscar .

I think we might be surprised and we'll do okay.........

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Think we'll be hard to beat and Hughton will have us very organised.

We do have more competition across the back 4 and with the keeper(s) - all good. We do have more competition in midfield (Crofts returning and Stephens with a full pre-season) and more quality with Kayal who looks like a real player.

Attacking third and heading has been bolstered by Israel's no.10 - but he's unproven and the rest of our forward players must reinvent themselves after a hopeless 2014/15.

Don't the experts say that 18 clubs set out with realistic ambitions of achieving success in this division? It is bloody tough but also very unpredictable.

Good post. I think our squad is not as bad as others make out, especially in defence (where we need another centre back to challenge Greer -- unless Rea is that man) and midfield. Where we're weak and we really need one or two shots of real quality is up-front, where we need pace, guile, vision and finishing.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
We've got no chance of challenging for the top 6. At the moment, I'm more worried that I can't many teams we are capable of finishing ahead of. Maybe Rotherham?

Could you be more negative?! If I were you, I wouldn't even bother watching any games this season.

Hemed, Song, Rosenior, Stephens, Ince, Kayal, Baldock, Dunk, Crofts, March and hopefully two/three additional quality signings. I'd say that's the core of a very championship side.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It'll be Middlesbrough's year, especially if they do get Downing.

I think we're looking at midtable this season - IF Hemend turns out to be a diamond we might harbour a slight play-off dream but we are desperately short up top.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Not sure I agree with that. Each season has seemed much the same.

No it DOES get tougher, now that the Premiership is even more the Loadsamoolah League. The rewards of getting promotion, even for a season, are incredible compared to say 10 years ago.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Could you be more negative?! If I were you, I wouldn't even bother watching any games this season.

Hemed, Song, Rosenior, Stephens, Ince, Kayal, Baldock, Dunk, Crofts, March and hopefully two/three additional quality signings. I'd say that's the core of a very championship side.

Yes we have a lot of solid players and I'm sure we won't concede many goals (like last year) but we don't really have any exciting attacking options other than Lua Lua who never gets a consistent run in the team. Sign a couple of high quality creative players and my opinion will change but the club seem to be dragging their heals on that front.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There seems to be a fair few clubs 'going for it' this year. Off the top of my head, and to varying degrees...

Derby
Middlesbrough
Sheffield Wednesday
Brentford
Leeds
Reading

Additionally, you'd have to expect Burnley, Hull, Forest, Wolves and Ipswich to all be having a tilt at the right end of the table, whilst Bristol City arrive with a lot of positive momentum.

It's going to be tough, isn't it?

Blimey, just imagine the traffic on NSC if we all flock to a wrist slitting thread and then, all of a sudden, we make a big name signing.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Are Brentford spending "big" money? Genuine question, I've not paid too much attention.

The signings I've seen them make appear to have been more of the shrewd variety. Pricey, but not extravagantly so, and all likely to add value & quality to their squad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't care about anybody else, our squad is looking seriously THREADBARE
I don't think that's fair.

We only look threadbare in the opposition half of the pitch.

Is that actually important?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good point, well made. Those thirty sideways tippy-tappy-timid passes to reach the halfway line will see us through :thumbsup:

It's worked brilliantly for the last 4 seasons, one more can't hurt, can it? :dunce:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
People say this every season. It's rarely true. They said it last year too and it turned out that the 2014/15 Championship was choc full of mediocre toss. So, yes, some teams look to have bought well but that's no guarantee of success. Lets wait and see before getting our knickers in a twist about how fearfully tough the league will be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here