Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applauding away supporters

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Nobody's suggested this, i sit close enough to the away end to see the absolute derision with which this is greeted, you carry on doing it though, sat there with your bobble hat and flask , blissfully unaware of the contempt that this ''lovely'' gesture'' is held.

I've a couple of friends of opposition teams who are normal fans (no sign of a bobble hat or flask) who thought it was a decent thing to announce the away fans, and the response from the Brighton fans who applauded the announcement is also decent. For what it's worth they are are Leeds and Weds :laugh: fans.

Personally I give a 'languidly cynical' [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] style response to the announcement.

V

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
To be honest I can't make out if people are clapping the attendance in general or directing it at the away fans, I tell myself they are doing it in in general.
There were times in the first 3 seasons or so when it was definitely about self-congratulation on another impressive Amex attendance all round... More recently, as 24K+ has become our "normal", I think the people that clap are actually mainly applauding the away fans.

My view is that The Amex dimensions and acoustics contribute to this strange phenomenon.

The majority of those in the ground hear very little from the away fans during the match and cannot really see them as individuals. So, away followings at The Amex generally come across as fairly benign and irrelevant - why not give them a clap for making the effort?

My guess would be that there are fewer clappers in the southerly areas of the ground.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
Ive been to a few games where we have taken a huge number and sung our hearts out and the even though we won, we were clapped for our support. Don't see why not, as a previous poster said, They are spending their cash and their time to come down and support their team increasing our revenue and boosting our attendance. I have no issue with applauding supporters that make an effort.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I mostly clap if we're beating them, and boo them if we're behind. I'm pretty fickle, to be honest.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Personally I'm indifferent but it amuses me that it bothers some people so much.

Who cares? You're Chelsea. :lolol:

And you're a simpleton.

See? :clap2:
Your words are like an arrow piercing my heart :down:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Your words are like an arrow piercing my heart :down:
:lolol: I do almost consider you Albion, to be fair.

In all seriousness, how anyone can get worked up over this is beyond me. There are so many bigger issues in football that need to be addressed. This is remarkably trivial and really isn't all important. And I don't think clapping 450 Huddersfield fans is especially pitiful really.

By way of contrast, I'd say the most pitiful thing I've ever seen at the Amex are the sad cluster of Millwall fans acting like utter nobs for the sake of it. I'm not talking about the proper scary 200 coked up Grant Mitchell lookalikes you wouldn't want to get in the way of, I'm talking about the skinny scraggy tossers who look like they've never eaten a vegetable and walk behind them acting like twunts, knowing that they'd get a proper well deserved slap if it wasn't for the fact they could just shout "Miiiiillll" and the 200 Grant Mitchells would turn round and wade in on their behalf.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yes that old chestnut....why do people feel the need to do it , gets on my goat. Invariably, as was the case last night, they make tasteless chants ie 'stand up if you're holding hands'......perhaps a real supporter can say if the same happens when we go to away matches (applause) :clap2:

Best response to that is that the whole stadium stands up holding hands :)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
So, we say well done to Huddersfield fans for travelling the length of the country to attend a game. What's wrong with that?

All we need is a put down chant for the away fans that seek to make something out of it. We're all fans. We're the antithesis of Millwall. I'm happy with that.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
I clap because
- I respect other fans until they lose that respect from me
- I'd like us to be known as a club with class and dignity
- I'd love to create an environment where we can share a beer and a chat with some of them afterwards
- Most fans of most clubs are completely normal people - I even have friends who support Milwall and FC Croydon
- Some of the best away game experiences I have had have been mixing and chatting with other fans

This is no way means that we shouldn't have every inch of competitiveness on the pitch to win a game.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

In all seriousness, how anyone can get worked up over this is beyond me. There are so many bigger issues in football that need to be addressed. This is remarkably trivial and really isn't all important. And I don't think clapping 450 Huddersfield fans is especially pitiful really.

By way of contrast, I'd say the most pitiful thing I've ever seen at the Amex are the sad cluster of Millwall fans acting like utter nobs for the sake of it. I'm not talking about the proper scary 200 coked up Grant Mitchell lookalikes you wouldn't want to get in the way of, I'm talking about the skinny scraggy tossers who look like they've never eaten a vegetable and walk behind them acting like twunts, knowing that they'd get a proper well deserved slap if it wasn't for the fact they could just shout "Miiiiillll" and the 200 Grant Mitchells would turn round and wade in on their behalf.
I agree , if you look at my posts on this thread I havent got worked up at all , I've simply stated my view that its pretty pathetic , I've been ACCUSED of getting worked up by people seeking to paint me as a danny dyer wannabe and using tedious ''pwopa nawty'' style language to do it, in their attempt to justify themselves.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

what about my eldest , 15 now , brought up as chelsea and really was a fan, but in his second year as a season ticket holder told me he was a brighton fan first and foremost , can you be a true fan if you started somewhere else ?

As an aside my youngest met Kayal and Hemed yesterday along the seafront , got selfies etc.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Interesting image...

I applaud them for making the effort to come down and support their team and – more importantly – putting money into Brighton and Hove Albion by purchasing their tickets, beer, pies and burgers. I couldn't give two hoots what they are chanting, because invariably when away teams chant something at us, we chant something back at them. Sometimes we don't need them to start the tasteless chants; we start them ourselves.

Hope this helps and I'm sorry if that doesn't qualify me as a 'real' supporter.

Spot on.

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
Are the people who are concerned with this the same people who dislike the club putting up the posters in the away end thanking the opposition fans for making their journey of xxx miles to attend the game? Anytime someone uses the argument that something either the club does or the fans do makes 'us' look 'tinpot' or is 'cringe-worthy' smacks massively of insecurity in my opinion. Some opposition fans will dislike us no matter what we do or don't do. Some opposition fans do like how they are welcomed by our club.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Are the people who are concerned with this the same people who dislike the club putting up the posters in the away end thanking the opposition fans for making their journey of xxx miles to attend the game? Anytime someone uses the argument that something either the club does or the fans do makes 'us' look 'tinpot' or is 'cringe-worthy' smacks massively of insecurity in my opinion. Some opposition fans will dislike us no matter what we do or don't do. Some opposition fans do like how they are welcomed by our club.

Never thought this would make so many pages tbf. I'm no concerned, just don't understand the need for it. As has been stated earlier, not all away supporters travel from the town/city their team are from. For example, I travel 115 miles for home games...do I deserve applause ?

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
Never thought this would make so many pages tbf. I'm no concerned, just don't understand the need for it. As has been stated earlier, not all away supporters travel from the town/city their team are from. For example, I travel 115 miles for home games...do I deserve applause ?

No you don't.

Some fans leave early for whatever reason, some stay to the end. Some fans sing, some don't. Some leave the game after 40 minutes to get a pint at half time, some don't. Some fans wear replica shirts past the age of 40....whatever. I don't care. Some fans clap the away fans attendance announcement, I'm like you in that I'm not concerned. It was the 'tinpot' and 'cringeworthy' comments I was addressing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here