Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nothing to cry about.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You're right nothing to cry about, but plenty to be frustrated about.
I hate it when games go that way, we know that when everything is right we are a very good team, capable of beating Newcastle away.
But with a few injuries to key players the Dale Stephens saga and maybe some tactical errors it just did not go right for us today at probably our biggest away day of the season.
It was a real chance to throw the gauntlet down and show the rest of the league that Brighton mean business again and we can beat anyone.
I just get so frustrated when I know it could and should have been better than it was.
I am sure that when we get to full strength with competition for places and the window is shut we will be fine again, but we only play Newcastle away once.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You're right nothing to cry about, but plenty to be frustrated about.
I hate it when games go that way, we know that when everything is right we are a very good team, capable of beating Newcastle away.
But with a few injuries to key players the Dale Stephens saga and maybe some tactical errors it just did not go right for us today at probably our biggest away day of the season.
It was a real chance to throw the gauntlet down and show the rest of the league that Brighton mean business again and we can beat anyone.
I just get so frustrated when I know it could and should have been better than it was.
I am sure that when we get to full strength with competition for places and the window is shut we will be fine again, but we only play Newcastle away once.
Good post. I'm sure it's good to point out to some on here that we can be disappointed with the result (and to some extent the performance - although both Newcastle goals were good) without having to go into meltdown calling for the heads of Stockers, Sidwell, Skalak, Bong, Baldock, Hughton, Barber, Bloom et al to prove ourselves to be passionate fans.
We just lost a match. I wanted us to win, and I wanted three points. OK, it didn't happen today. Just occasionally, it doesn't!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How? I thought Dunk was faultless and Duffy had a good game.

Sidwell conceded both free kicks which lead to the goals, with Bong losing his man on the first.

Who was marking Lascelles to allow him to get a free header? There was a gap in the wall for the second goal too, although it was curled so well, it didn't make much difference.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
How? I thought Dunk was faultless and Duffy had a good game.

Sidwell conceded both free kicks which lead to the goals, with Bong losing his man on the first.

Actually, Kayal conceded the first one I'd say. Sidwell made a clean tackle which meant the referee then blew because Kayal had clearly pulled the player back. Ref was trying to play advantage.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Here's my take:

We weren't very good, but the game was very even, they stopped us playing, but neither team deserved to be winning at half time.

How many fouls did Newcastle make? Not saying it isn't a part of the game, but nearly everytime we had the ball we were fouled. I admit a couple of our players made a meal of a few of the challengers, but they were fouls and didn't result in any Newcastle players getting sent off.

Looks like we could've had a penalty when the United player controlled the ball with his arm. We were starting to get on top, then we hit the crossbar.

The ref totally ruined the game with that sending off. Shouldn't be one in a million years. Baldock's gone to close him down, hasn't even left a trailing leg and the keeper's gone down like someone's shot him from the Space Station that is the away end, and the refs bloody fallen for it! Unbelievable. From then on we no chance.

In the first half Newcastle were much the better side and could have easily been 2 or even 3 up. We were out fought and out thought in the middle of the pitch. Our passing, such as it was, was poor and we created next to nothing. We picked up a little in the second half and Knockaert should have equalised before the red card which effectively killed our chances just at a time when we looked capable of scoring. Shelvey's free-kick was a wonderful goal. But we didn't play well for the second away league game in a row. I'm not too concerned. It's early days and Newcastle will be promoted almost certainly as runaway Champions but A worry for me is that Albion never seem to play well in big games. If we're going to be real contenders again, that habit must change.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As they showed on the analysis of the 1st goal it was the fault of the 2 CB having no understanding and dropping too deep too soon had they held their ground Lascelles wouldnt have got a clean head on it. It was a lack of understanding that will be put right on the training ground. What may not is the needless free kicks we give away in dangerous areas just outside of the box. We have got to stand up and tackle cleaner that goes for all of the back four and midfielders.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Not to worried as long as sidwell and skalak are back to the bench as they seriously weaken us...Think bong has improved a lot on last week.
Not the end of the world and we'll click again soon I'm sure :)
Yep this is correct.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bong let Lascelles have a free header, lost his man.

Bong was not marking Lascelles as we do not do man marking, which I think is one of our problems and if we did we would conceed less from set pieces CH prefers zonal marking and for the first goal the area was left unguarded by the whole defence dropping off too early. DS as the keeper should have been shouting to them to hold their line.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Bong was not marking Lascelles as we do not do man marking, which I think is one of our problems and if we did we would conceed less from set pieces CH prefers zonal marking and for the first goal the area was left unguarded by the whole defence dropping off too early. DS as the keeper should have been shouting to them to hold their line.

Old school I may be but I hate zonal marking, switch off and you are f****d.
I was a central defender back in the day ( and captain) I insisted on man marking and at set pieces had almost everyone back marking right up tight and two on each post. We won everything.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Old school I may be but I hate zonal marking, switch off and you are f****d.
I was a central defender back in the day ( and captain) I insisted on man marking and at set pieces had almost everyone back marking right up tight and two on each post. We won everything.

I worked my way back to sweeper in my day as I got older. I was the only one that didn't have to mark (sweeper, blame everyone else)... but at corners and set plays you have to mark someone. You just have to. This zonal stuff never happened when CH was playing so I don't get why he does it? But... big, big but... it wasn't a free kick in the first place.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I worked my way back to sweeper in my day as I got older. I was the only one that didn't have to mark (sweeper, blame everyone else)... but at corners and set plays you have to mark someone. You just have to. This zonal stuff never happened when CH was playing so I don't get why he does it? But... big, big but... it wasn't a free kick in the first place.

No it wasn't you are right, but to leave space in open play is unforgivable, ok you may get beaten but at least be there to give yourself a chance of getting the ball.
It's almost like zonal marking in open play, if you see what I mean.

I tend to think it's a necessary wake-up call to the board. Breaking up the Stephens Kayal partnership will have big consequences - if it's going to happen then Hughton will need more help to reproduce the over performance of last season

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In some ways it would have been better had this match been when we played Reading as it showed our failings and CH would have had more time to adress it as it is he has 3 days. It could of course harden their resolve not to sell anybody.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
In some ways it would have been better had this match been when we played Reading as it showed our failings and CH would have had more time to adress it as it is he has 3 days. It could of course harden their resolve not to sell anybody.

I think Reading showed our 'failings'

But I also believe any potential targets were identified before the start of the season. I don't think there will be any knee jerk reaction signings. Even with Pritchard going to Norwich, we would have a back up plan to fill that position. Whether we can sign the target is a whole other ball game.

A good example is Stephens, if he does go then Norwood will be his natural replacement, if he doesn't then Norwood will be a satisfactory stand in, if and when needed. I think all is calm at Amex Towers, its just the fans that are panicking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here