Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR fiasco at Huddersfield

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don't see the problem. You could see Mata's knee was offside, even if it was only very slightly. But it doesn't matter - offside is offside - you could see he was slightly offside so it's clear and obvious. But all goals are reviewed for offside, irrespective of whether it is 'clear and obvious'. The lines not working correctly initially was a shambles, but they weren't used to make the decision (straight lines were), and the right decision was made. Not sure why you think it wasn't offside (or the BT commentators for that matter). With the straight lines that were eventually shown, you can clearly see it was.

It is marginal rather than clear. VAR is being brought in to correct obvious bad decisions. Surely if every marginal offside is going to be reviewed games will last for hours. Presumably linesman become irrelevant ?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It is marginal rather than clear. VAR is being brought in to correct obvious bad decisions. Surely if every marginal offside is going to be reviewed games will last for hours. Presumably linesman become irrelevant ?

As I said, all goals are reviewed for offside, and games haven't lasted for hours so far. It doesn't matter if it's marginal - you're either on or your off, and he is off. The 'clear and obvious error' is for things like penalties and red cards, which can be debated. It just seems the BT pundits don't know how VAR works.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Again I have to disagree, Tennis has natural breaks in play between points, football at its best should flow.

Rugby is a better example where television reviews are used by referees quite liberally........I don’t think rugby fans are universally supportive of it.

It’s bad enough when a goal is disallowed for a tight offside, without having the introduction of a pause between celebrating or not celebrating. It’s like the football equivalent of the dramatic pause that is now used in shows before a contestant is booted off.

No thanks.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've always thought VAR was a shite idea for football. I still haven't changed my mind on that.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can certainly see the yanks doing it. In fact, I can't see them not doing it. 'This decision is being reviewed by Crunchy Crunch, the crunchiest crunch there is'.

Doesn't FIFA have enough money already?

I wish you were wrong, but it's a pretty valid concern. We need to do our best to not accept it (any ads that creep in, rather than var).

Funnily enough, people/companies/organisations that clearly have too much money, rarely seem to think they have enough. Greed cvnts the lot of 'em!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Sorry - but I don’t think it was off inside either. And was so marginal that the attacking side should be given the benefit of the doubt.

If there had been no VAR I don’t think anyone would have moaned if that goal had been given. No fan of it all - just adds unnecessary complexity, slows down the game and gives tv pundits more opportunity to criticise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I don't like it ,because the flow and debate will have been altered.OK decisions will be a lot better,but wrong decisions are (were) part of the game.I realize than i am old school,and will become a minority....

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Sorry - but I don’t think it was off inside either. And was so marginal that the attacking side should be given the benefit of the doubt.

If there had been no VAR I don’t think anyone would have moaned if that goal had been given. No fan of it all - just adds unnecessary complexity, slows down the game and gives tv pundits more opportunity to criticise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it's so marginal that you cannot tell if it's offside, then yes the attacking player should be given the benefit of the doubt. But you can clearly see it's offside. All goals under VAR are reviewed for offside. Therefore, they can hardly just ignore it and say 'it was tight, we gave the attacking the benefit of the doubt'. That would be wrong, because it would be the wrong decision, because the player was offside.

In real time, without the lines, it looks more offside than it actually is, so I expect Huddersfield fans wouldn't have been too happy.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Again I have to disagree, Tennis has natural breaks in play between points, football at its best should flow.

Rugby is a better example where television reviews are used by referees quite liberally........I don’t think rugby fans are universally supportive of it.

It’s bad enough when a goal is disallowed for a tight offside, without having the introduction of a pause between celebrating or not celebrating. It’s like the football equivalent of the dramatic pause that is now used in shows before a contestant is booted off.

No thanks.

Perhaps they can get Ant & Dec on the pitch and go through the entire first 11.

Anthony Knockaert.. *pause* you were ONSIDE.
Glenn Murray.. *pause* you were OFFSIDE I'm so sorry .. *crowd jeers*

****ing circus act this VAR.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There's VAR are the World Cup, its gonna be crap

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Perhaps they can get Ant & Dec on the pitch and go through the entire first 11.

Anthony Knockaert.. *pause* you were ONSIDE.
Glenn Murray.. *pause* you were OFFSIDE I'm so sorry .. *crowd jeers*

****ing circus act this VAR.

In the grounds VAR will be like the cricket........no doubt some sponsors logo spinning around on the big screen while the hum of earnest debate permeates around the stands.

On TV the view the viewers will get an advert of a group of young multi ethnic lovelies going down to bingo, with Tom Daley and his recently purchased offspring pulling out the numbers.......he will pull out a ball and pronounce “six and nine......ooooh that’s a mouthful matron”.......the audience will descend in to rapture.......paddy power bingo will pop up before it cuts back to the ref at a game who will say through a microphone.......no score.

Brilliant.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Teething trouble doesn't make it a bad idea.

It does if you're on the receiving end of a wrong decision in a game that actually matters.

Even if it is only used for yes/no decisions, it will disrupt the flow of the game. Goal-line technology is good, but using VAR to scrutinise various subjective decisions - like was there enough contact to merit a penalty - is a poor idea. I no doubt will be proved wrong and it will go from strength to strength over the coming years though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It does if you're on the receiving end of a wrong decision in a game that actually matters.
No it doesn't. It's likely to mean there are less teams on the end of wrong decisions.

Even if it is only used for yes/no decisions, it will disrupt the flow of the game. Goal-line technology is good, but using VAR to scrutinise various subjective decisions - like was there enough contact to merit a penalty - is a poor idea.
I disagree. The flow of the game is generally disrupted when there's a penalty, they might as well get the decision right.
I no doubt will be proved wrong and it will go from strength to strength over the coming years though.
Let's hope so. I assume there will always be those that don't like it. Just keep adverts and delays away.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here