Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Carlos Carvalhal

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Exactly what I was trying to say, probably badly.

I have no idea as to his competency, but he's good fun.

It was widely said that he'd been hired to manage them in the championship next year. So far, he's showing he might be able to do a better job this year, and he certainly doesn't seem to believe that.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That's likely to be next season. Of course they'll lose some this season, but there's barely enough time to go on a losing run long enough to get everyone against you, given the positive start he's had.

When they start losing and slipping down...he just might not be such a happy bunny ..hes yet to experience what thats like in the PL

I hasten to add he has to be given a lot of credit for turning things round

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm just grateful he went to Swansea.
That move alone all but guaranteed them filling one of the relegation places...

...oh.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Recall when he was appointed plenty on here were delighted thinking it was a terrible appointment.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Difference between him and Hughton is that we’d have been delighted with holding on for a point having got that deep into the game.

The difference between CH and Carvalhal is CH got Albion promoted from the Championship at the second attempt and Carvalhal didn't manage it with Wednesday. This was despite having a higher playing budget. He was sacked with his team 15th in the Championship.

I hope this clarify's the main difference between our fantastic manager and the one hit wonder at Swansea.

I also recall Albion scoring a last minute winner against Wednesday last season. This was despite being down to 10 men. Don't remember us holding out for a draw in that game.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Their good run has to end sometime. Personally I can't think of a better time than Feb 24. And at least our players won't treat them lightly.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It did seem a very bizarre appointment - especially as he was sacked from Wednesday only a few days before (though, that does seem a tad suspicious now). But he's done really well with Swansea, there's no denying that.

Maybe Wednesday really were awful, but he managed to make them look top half Championship.

With the money they spent and the wages they payed under his leadership he really has pulled up no trees. His coaching record is less than ordinary with his only real success being at Setubal. He got one small team promoted and had a good cup run one year with a 3rd tier team I think but really isn’t anything special. I expect him to fail miserably once this initial honeymoon period is over but like I said they may stay up this year especially if we fail to turn up in two weeks.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Beating massive twice last season was great fun

But despite this and play offs year before always quite liked CC as a manager - very honest in post match interviews and good sense of humour

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Their players look like they are really enjoying their football under him. I didn't see that when he was at Sheffield Wednesday but he in definately putting something in the tea at Swansea.

Let's hope they have an off day next week.

Or something’s rotten at Massive.

7 wins all season, that’s one per month, despite an expensive squad. (Wolves have 22 wins).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The difference between CH and Carvalhal is CH got Albion promoted from the Championship at the second attempt and Carvalhal didn't manage it with Wednesday. This was despite having a higher playing budget. He was sacked with his team 15th in the Championship.

I hope this clarify's the main difference between our fantastic manager and the one hit wonder at Swansea.

I also recall Albion scoring a last minute winner against Wednesday last season. This was despite being down to 10 men. Don't remember us holding out for a draw in that game.

Fair enough, last season we were the quality team in the division. When have we really gone for it away from home when drawing with 20 to go this season? Please remind me. Can you really see CH playing with three upfront when we are not losing? It may well go pear shaped for Swansea but you cannot away take that Carvalho’s boldness has dragged Swansea out of the relegation zone. Not saying he’s anywhere near as good a manager as CH but credit where it’s due for his boldness recently.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Fair enough, last season we were the quality team in the division. When have we really gone for it away from home when drawing with 20 to go this season? Please remind me. Can you really see CH playing with three upfront when we are not losing? It may well go pear shaped for Swansea but you cannot away that Carvalho’s boldness has dragged Swansea out of the relegation zone. Not saying he’s anywhere near as good a manger as CH but credit where it’s due for his boldness recently.

Swansea were at home yesterday.

Swansea are also in a more precarious position than us. Draws are not good enough for them. They have had to go for broke. Lots of time this season a draw has been a good result for us.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
When he was at Sheffield Wednesday I didn't take much notice of him, as I had him filed under "****" solely because of the club he was managing.

Turns out he seems to be quite a likeable sort.

I disliked him because, I can't remember if this was before or after they beat us in the playoffs, he made some comments about how even though we had finished something like 15 points above them, they were better than us.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I disliked him because, I can't remember if this was before or after they beat us in the playoffs, he made some comments about how even though we had finished something like 15 points above them, they were better than us.

Think he said something like: yes, Brighton deserve to be promoted... but we deserve it too.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
There's a touch of the Ian Holloways about him. The F1 analogy was well recieved and he seems to be dreaming up a different one each week to get some coverage at Sky sports HQ who no doubt lap all of this shit up.

I'd agree that he is coming across well at the minute but "breath of fresh air" turns to "bellend" quite quickly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here