Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2018

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Calexico - 'The Thread That Keeps Us'

The traditional Tex-Mex sound that has been their signature for so long has almost been abandoned in this 22 track affair (if you opted for the deluxe edition). In fact it isn't until well into the album do you get anything remotely resembling a Latino beat. Instead they've opted for some rockier and stadium-friendly tunes which despite the bigness of the tracks, still manages to feel personal and warm. A lot of the tracks do sound like Crowded House at their very best which is no mean praise at all, I genuinely have a lot of affection for Crowded House and consequently this album. This is their 9th album and so I guess a change had to come in order for them to keep on keeping on and I do like this new direction.

There's something reassuringly comfortable with this album, it's quite MoR for sure but in a very good way and there's excellent tracks to get stuck in your head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M21ALoLPbH4

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking forward to hearing how they were live. Got to wait until end of February to see them. Should be a good day as Swansea at home in the afternoon first. I have to say though that I prefer the sound of The Hum album to the new direction.

I’ll keep it brief as I don’t want to potentially spoil the gig in any way so all I’ll say is the gig centered on the new album and it works very well live. They were great. Yes it’s a new sound but it’s a sound I really really like and they seem really at ease with it. The victory over Swansea will set you up nicely. Enjoy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been listening to the new Nils Frahm album and I've got to say it's quite beautiful. It's by far his most ambitious collection to date yet still retains his trademark understatement. There's a real mixture of styles from techno to jazz to the more familiar classical piano and the whole album fits wonderfully. Although an out and out instrumental album he does make fair use of choral voices as yet another musical instrument. Stand-out tracks include 'Human Range', mainly an oboe led piece and the title track and deep house techno tune 'All Melody'. It's the kind of tune that you could listen to forever. Great stuff.

Here he is performing the very tune at the Montreux Festival last year. It's life-affirming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J44C184Dd7c

I’m really looking forward to listening to this.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I’ll keep it brief as I don’t want to potentially spoil the gig in any way so all I’ll say is the gig centered on the new album and it works very well live. They were great. Yes it’s a new sound but it’s a sound I really really like and they seem really at ease with it. The victory over Swansea will set you up nicely. Enjoy.

Thanks. I did think it would probably a shortish set based around the new album. It’s at Patterns so pretty intimate which is always good. Glad you enjoyed it.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Well 2018 has started extremely well for me on the album front. Nils Frahm and Fire continue to evolve beautifully.
Although I'm still to finish it, Freedom's Goblin is a wide-ranging yet coherent bunch of joy, indicating the extent of Ty Segall's (power) pop sensibliity.
My first spin of Hookworms' new one has just finished, and it's right up there in AotY territory. Gutted that I haven't got a ticket for their show later this month -- if anyone's got a spare, or better two, do let me know.
The Hookworms album is brilliant. So impressed. Will be a great atmosphere at that gig I imagine, they have a lot of good friends down here.

I might come across something. If I do I'll give you a shout.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Lucky you. Sold out round these parts. I saw them c3 years ago at GDS, which was cracking, and had a freaking-out Alexis Petridis in the audience.
And the show at The Haunt that Soft Walls supported the Jabberwocky weekend (just before 'The Hum' came out) was immense.

Are you sure that GDS gig wasn't more like 5 or possibly 6 years ago? I was defintely there and thought 'Pearl Mystic' had just come out?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
And the show at The Haunt that Soft Walls supported the Jabberwocky weekend (just before 'The Hum' came out) was immense.

Are you sure that GDS gig wasn't more like 5 or possibly 6 years ago? I was defintely there and thought 'Pearl Mystic' had just come out?

I'm far more sure of your date than mine.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You know how I wasn't blown away by the LCD record last year. I think the new Hookworms is a better record than 'American Dream.'

*awaits flaming.
I've really enjoyed Hookworms too but think you're being a bit unfair because it's not quite comparing like for like. I think the album dips slightly in the middle but rescues itself towards the end very well.

Ive also been listening to Rhye's new album and love a few tracks from that. Also Rae Morris and hopefully can get a few reviews up here for them.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've really enjoyed Hookworms too but think you're being a bit unfair because it's not quite comparing like for like. I think the album dips slightly in the middle but rescues itself towards the end very well.

Not just that but my opinion on this one may not be the most objective. I do genuinely believe it though. Perhaps the higher points are higher on 'American Dream' but I think 'Microshift' is a stronger record.

I think there's a piece about trajectory here as well. 'American Dream' is a noticeable decline from previous work, 'Microshift' is a step up (and I love the other 2.5 albums Hookworms have done)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Pleasantly running through the new GoGo Penguin record, A Humdrum Star. Electronica, obvious classical influences and jazz ensembles alongside indie bands, blending acoustic and electronic techniques.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ive also been listening to Rhye's new album and love a few tracks from that. Also Rae Morris and hopefully can get a few reviews up here for them.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Not just that but my opinion on this one may not be the most objective. I do genuinely believe it though. Perhaps the higher points are higher on 'American Dream' but I think 'Microshift' is a stronger record.

I think there's a piece about trajectory here as well. 'American Dream' is a noticeable decline from previous work, 'Microshift' is a step up (and I love the other 2.5 albums Hookworms have done)

Numerous people are making the LCD comparison and I must admit don’t fully agree with it. I think my age plays a part here as my reference points go straight to Neu and Kraftwerk and skip past LCD.

What all three of us agree on though, is Hookworms new album is a stonker. I really hope this album takes them to the places they deserve to be in.

And if the think the album is good please please see them live. You will not regret it, this new stuff is just fantastic live.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You know how I wasn't blown away by the LCD record last year. I think the new Hookworms is a better record than 'American Dream.'

*awaits flaming.

PS I really like American Dream.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been listening to the new Nils Frahm album and I've got to say it's quite beautiful. It's by far his most ambitious collection to date yet still retains his trademark understatement. There's a real mixture of styles from techno to jazz to the more familiar classical piano and the whole album fits wonderfully. Although an out and out instrumental album he does make fair use of choral voices as yet another musical instrument. Stand-out tracks include 'Human Range', mainly an oboe led piece and the title track and deep house techno tune 'All Melody'. It's the kind of tune that you could listen to forever. Great stuff.

Here he is performing the very tune at the Montreux Festival last year. It's life-affirming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J44C184Dd7c

This has been given a number of spins now. My Friend The Forest.... beautiful stuff.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Numerous people are making the LCD comparison and I must admit don’t fully agree with it. I think my age plays a part here as my reference points go straight to Neu and Kraftwerk and skip past LCD.

What all three of us agree on though, is Hookworms new album is a stonker. I really hope this album takes them to the places they deserve to be in.

And if the think the album is good please please see them live. You will not regret it, this new stuff is just fantastic live.

Make that four. My references were New Order and Factory Floor, but I can see where you're coming from with the krautrock link.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here