Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Idiot alert scores level after two legs...

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
We did it in 2004. The aggregate was 2-2 over the two legs. Swindon then missed two penalties (one hit the bar and Ben Roberts saved the other) Brighton scored all of theirs.

I'm pretty sure it hit the post, but because we were singing "Hit the bar, hit the bar", it's a better story that it hit the bar.

I hope it doesn't come to it, of course, but if it does, then on Monday it would be great if there was a massive chorus of "Hit the bar" when Wendy are taking their penalties.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can see where you are coming from . I would do it on points finished above awarded as goals . For every 3 points you finish above the lower teams gives you an extra goal . so we would take a 3-0 lead into game vs sheff .. It also stops the teams that have made play offs already putting out a reserve side in their last game which is meaningless . That way they would need as many points as poss to overcome the disadvantage

That would be utterly bonkers.

Keep it simple. I quite like the idea that the 3rd placed team should get a bye to the Final, with 4th - 7th playing off against each other to face them.

The only disadvantage is that the team who gets the bye to the Final will be sitting idle for a few weeks whilst the others are still in the "heat of battle". You could say they'd have the advantage of being well rested, but that's not always a good thing.

As it stands, it IS pretty ridiculous that we got 89 points, and could be turned over by a team that finished 15 points behind us, but that's just the nature of the current format, and we all know thems the rules when we set out in August. Palace went up on 72 points. Sake.

Nobody has given the correct information.

What happens is that, with a minute to go, the Albion are a goal down. So you get out of your seat and walk to the bus, where you will sit for AGES, wondering what the hell is going on.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
That would be utterly bonkers.

Keep it simple. I quite like the idea that the 3rd placed team should get a bye to the Final, with 4th - 7th playing off against each other to face them.

The only disadvantage is that the team who gets the bye to the Final will be sitting idle for a few weeks whilst the others are still in the "heat of battle". You could say they'd have the advantage of being well rested, but that's not always a good thing.

As it stands, it IS pretty ridiculous that we got 89 points, and could be turned over by a team that finished 15 points behind us, but that's just the nature of the current format, and we all know thems the rules when we set out in August. Palace went up on 72 points. Sake.

Why so ridiculous , it would certainly stop teams coasting that have made the playoffs fielding a reserve team ala WEDS on sat and would encourage you to finish with as most points as poss to give you the maximum advantage in the playoffs . It would also reward the 3rd place team who have finished considerably better than the 6th .

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I've always been pretty relaxed about how the play offs work.
At the start of the season, we all know that the top two teams go, because they have earned that right.

So that's IT. Season OVER.

Ahhh...but however, thankfully for the play offs, we've been given ANOTHER chance, and it's up to us to grasp that and prove again that we are rightfully the third best team in the league.

I don't buy this moaning that it's not fair just because we finished 'x' amount of points above the team in 4th, 5th or 6th, as it's worked in reverse for us on all previous occasions in the play offs.
Not once before have we ever finished third, and I don't recall many of us moaning about the play offs on those occasions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm pretty sure it hit the post, but because we were singing "Hit the bar, hit the bar", it's a better story that it hit the bar.

I hope it doesn't come to it, of course, but if it does, then on Monday it would be great if there was a massive chorus of "Hit the bar" when Wendy are taking their penalties.

I think Swindon had a couple of shots during the game that hit the bar. You're probably right about it hitting the post.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've always been pretty relaxed about how the play offs work.
At the start of the season, we all know that the top two teams go, because they have earned that right.

So that's IT. Season OVER.

Ahhh...but however, thankfully for the play offs, we've been given ANOTHER chance, and it's up to us to grasp that and prove again that we are rightfully the third best team in the league.

I don't buy this moaning that it's not fair just because we finished 'x' amount of points above the team in 4th, 5th or 6th, as it's worked in reverse for us on all previous occasions in the play offs.
Not once before have we ever finished third, and I don't recall many of us moaning about the play offs on those occasions.

You come on here Mr La-Di-Da with your sensible upbeat talk. Frankly it's an AFFRONT to all those posters in a terminal teenage sulk about how life is so unfair. [MENTION=139]Jam The Man[/MENTION] OUT! :moo:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Definitely hit the post. Gurney with the pen that hit the post. Mooney had his saved by Roberts. Hit the bar all came about because of the amount of times Mooney hit the bar (i think) and after he had his saved it seemed right to carry it on.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I think Swindon had a couple of shots during the game that hit the bar. You're probably right about it hitting the post.

It was in the first leg. They officially had no shots on target. In the post match interview it was pointed out to them that they had had no shots on target, which they replied but we hit the bar twice and the post. Of course if it hits the woodwork then it is not on target.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
You come on here Mr La-Di-Da with your sensible upbeat talk. Frankly it's an AFFRONT to all those posters in a terminal teenage sulk about how life is so unfair. [MENTION=139]Jam The Man[/MENTION] OUT! :moo:

Love it!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Its nothing to do with the money actually generated by the play-offs themselves. Its about keeping the season alive for two thirds of the league for most of the season.

I disagree it has alot to do with money generated by the FA for extra games at Wembley, that includes all the divisions involved, the kick backs and fees involved for tv advertisement etc....

Don't be fooled for a minute that it is not about money...

I am not a bitter fan, I have always felt third should go up even when we get in the play offs it's not fair.

Money... Money... Money....

So what if teams around the 10th position would have nothing to play for with three games left tuff shit, they would have done nothing all season anyway to warrant it, and probably at some point would have even been flirting near the relegation zone...

Rant over

Why so ridiculous , it would certainly stop teams coasting that have made the playoffs fielding a reserve team ala WEDS on sat
I'm confused. Wednesday are giving themselves an advantage because they will be selecting players who have missed recent games. And the Albion are at a disadvantage because we will have to be using players who have missed recent games.

How does that work?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm confused. Wednesday are giving themselves an advantage because they will be selecting players who have missed recent games. And the Albion are at a disadvantage because we will have to be using players who have missed recent games.

How does that work?

Our players have had two long journeys (even when flying) within 6 days. Players that already shattered from the season, and Sheff Wed have had the luxury of being able to rest players.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Our players have had two long journeys (even when flying) within 6 days. Players that already shattered from the season, and Sheff Wed have had the luxury of being able to rest players.

Personally I think resting players is not always a good thing. Would rather have a solid starting team.

I disagree it has alot to do with money generated by the FA for extra games at Wembley, that includes all the divisions involved, the kick backs and fees involved for tv advertisement etc....

Don't be fooled for a minute that it is not about money...

I am not a bitter fan, I have always felt third should go up even when we get in the play offs it's not fair.

Money... Money... Money....

So what if teams around the 10th position would have nothing to play for with three games left tuff shit, they would have nothing all season anyway and probably at some point even been flirting near the relegation zone...

Rant over

Who remembers the old Third Division (South), when only the team that finished first got to be promoted to the Second Division?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why so ridiculous , it would certainly stop teams coasting that have made the playoffs fielding a reserve team ala WEDS on sat and would encourage you to finish with as most points as poss to give you the maximum advantage in the playoffs . It would also reward the 3rd place team who have finished considerably better than the 6th .

I'm just not comfortable with the awarding of "ghost goals" at the start of what is basically a cup tie. Its a contrivance too far for me, and would warp the entire approach to the game that the teams would take. In your example for this season, if we started this tie 3 goals up on Sheff W, then what do we do, just park the bus for 180 minutes ? Or do we play our normal game that got us to this position in the first place ? What about the Final, does this goals-for-points ratio carry over to the teams at Wembley ?

Interesting idea, but it shouldn't be about giving 1/2/3 goal starts to the higher placed team, its STILL got to boil down to 90/180 minutes on the pitch IMO.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

It did hit the post and it was there main man who had the pen ( and I can't think of his name !!)

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here