Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robin Williams RIP

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As far as I am concerned, Awakenings is his finest work.

Suicide has been confirmed. He hanged himself. Horrible. How long did he stand there with the noose around his neck before doing it? He must have felt such pain and all alone.

That is just horrible. I often think how can anybody do such a thing and leave his children and wife heartbroken or not wanting to see them anymore and watch them grow up, see them get married etc it seems like such a selfish thing to do.

But that's because I do not understand chronic depression it must be a truly horrific and frightening place to be.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I've seen dozens of tributes on FB and Twitter to the point where I've just been 'liking' or fav-ing everyone else's. I wasn't a fan of his more mawkish movies but Good Will Hunting and Good Morning Vietnam are among my favourite movies of all time.

However his genius was stand up. His stand up was brilliant. Manic. Irreverent. Relentless. He was the original guy who made being funny cool as far as I'm concerned. To know that he was effectively killed by a hideous illness that is still sadly misunderstood is just tragic.

Perfectly said, agree completely.

People talk about Richard Pryor, or even Eddie Izzard: brilliant stand-ups, both. But neither can make me absolutely wretch with laughter like a Robin Williams DVD. I honestly think he's the best of all time.

What a p1ss-awful irony, to bring as much laughter as he did, and yet to kill yourself because of a disease which renders you artificially miserable. The mental image of that poor guy, of all people, hanging himself is too hideous even to contemplate.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That is just horrible. I often think how can anybody do such a thing and leave his children and wife heartbroken or not wanting to see them anymore and watch them grow up, see them get married etc it seems like such a selfish thing to do.

But that's because I do not understand chronic depression it must be a truly horrific and frightening place to be.

People that do this are not selfish. When you think about it, it takes balls of steel to do it. Not good for those left but I have never considered it to be selfish. So sad he could not overcome his Demons and the ******* Depression has claimed another victim

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Perfectly said, agree completely.

People talk about Richard Pryor, or even Eddie Izzard: brilliant stand-ups, both. But neither can make me absolutely wretch with laughter like a Robin Williams DVD. I honestly think he's the best of all time.

What a p1ss-awful irony, to bring as much laughter as he did, and yet to kill yourself because of a disease which renders you artificially miserable. The mental image of that poor guy, of all people, hanging himself is too hideous even to contemplate.

A thumbs up because I agree completely. Not because it's a good thing.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Patch Adams was a fantastic film. A doctor who helped cure illness with comedy.

I am truly saddened by this news, he starred in a lot of my favourite films growing up. Even to this day if i saw any film with him in it i would watch it. I hope he has found his peace now.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Insomnia was imo his greatest ever performance

Takes some doing to upstage Pacino. Ther has always obviously been a crossover between comedy performance and acting but Robin Williams was that rare beast. Absolutely outstanding not just at both but outstanding in all types of character acting. He has one over Pacino and De Niro there.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I still laugh at his comedy routine on men sharing the birth experience by being in the room at the time. Can't remember the exact line but something along the lines of "come back and tell me when you've passed a bowling ball"

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tried to slit his wrists and then hung himself. Tragic for such an inspirational Man to feel this was the only way out of his problems

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here