Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Test Match Special - 60 Years Old

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There are few things on Amazon that might be of interest....search 'John Arlott Audio'. No full test commentaries though sadly.

This is good - https://youtu.be/7ZUBzLJZdeA

Every home Test from 1946-1980 :bowdown: Considering he had a Hampshire dialect he must have conquered a few institutional obstacles in the earlier years.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
TMS has always been adept at renewing itself. Sometimes it can feel that once a name has gone then a corner stone is missed- but it's rarely the case.

I liked CMJ, a bit plain at times but overflowing with layman's knowledge that no former player of note could match. Brian Johnson's was a departure that really left a cake sized hole.

I think the TMS team know what radio listeners want. And those who have blazed the trail will always set the standard. There is too much history to pollute if they get it wrong- and they know it.

So thankfully none of the Sky school playground. TMS doesn't need to try to entertain- it just does.

Not Test Match, but cricket nonetheless - CMJ was commentating on the 2006 C&G Final between Sussex and Lancashire.

Son Robin was bowling, and fell over on his follow-through. CMJ: "If I didn't know better, I'd say my wife's orffspring did that on purpose..."

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think it's in good hands. Aggers has stepped up as the senior voice of TMS, ably supported by the irrepressible Boycott, Vaughn, Dagnell, Tufnell et al.

Likewise. I'm not sure anyone who thinks Boycott is irritating or a tosser really gets TMS. On the mic, he's a caricature of the grumpy, aged Yorkshireman. (The fact he might be like that all the time isn't the point). But he does know what he's on about, and offers praise where it's due.

Vaughan is precise, intelligent, witty and a delight to listen to. Skid always seems to go on about his family - which is nice. Tuffers always bring light humour - love it.

Charles Dagnall, Ed Smith and Simon Mann are all fine commentators. I don't see the problem with Dan Norcross either. Seems fine to me.

Love Blowers, but he is bowing out at the right time. And Aggers is the consummate professional.

Love it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
With the celebratory 106th Test at the Oval I must say that Alison Mitchell has done alright for a girl. Certainly enough airtime available for a female voice.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's in good hands with Aggers, he's been schooled by the veterans. Vaughan is technically brilliant and so insightful, like Boycott but without the ego, Tuffers is good for light relief but probably more technically knowledgeable than he gets credit for and they have some great guests.

All of this.

TMS has always been adept at renewing itself. Sometimes it can feel that once a name has gone then a corner stone is missed- but it's rarely the case.

I liked CMJ, a bit plain at times but overflowing with layman's knowledge that no former player of note could match. Brian Johnson's was a departure that really left a cake sized hole.

I think the TMS team know what radio listeners want. And those who have blazed the trail will always set the standard. There is too much history to pollute if they get it wrong- and they know it.

So thankfully none of the Sky school playground. TMS doesn't need to try to entertain- it just does.

I won't really miss Henry Blofield. For me he was part of TMS but a bit of an odd one out. Just there, harmless but a bit irrelevant. Aggers will hold the helm. I just hope that the attack on BBC by the political elite doesn't spoil this part of the institution.

And all of this.

Likewise. I'm not sure anyone who thinks Boycott is irritating or a tosser really gets TMS. On the mic, he's a caricature of the grumpy, aged Yorkshireman. (The fact he might be like that all the time isn't the point). But he does know what he's on about, and offers praise where it's due.

Vaughan is precise, intelligent, witty and a delight to listen to. Skid always seems to go on about his family - which is nice. Tuffers always bring light humour - love it.

Charles Dagnall, Ed Smith and Simon Mann are all fine commentators. I don't see the problem with Dan Norcross either. Seems fine to me.

Love Blowers, but he is bowing out at the right time. And Aggers is the consummate professional.

Love it.

And NEARLY all of this.

Dagnall simply does not fit at all, for me. Not sure why, but he seems out of step. Even some of the WOMEN :eek: are 'more' TMS than Dagnall.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Possibly - I might suggest - that he doesn't have a 'summery' voice. It's quite harsh and growly, not smooth or mellow.

It isn't that. Nobody could describe Tufnell's diction as smooth or mellow, and he's now part of the furniture.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The people have changed (and I DO miss the old guard and I will really miss Blowers), but the new lot are worthy successors. Still an essential and quintessential part of the English summer.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
February 1995 fourth day of The Perth Test. I was given 30 seconds notice from Pat Murphy to do the tea time slot. No audio survives. Thankfully.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Love it.

I don't have a problem with Boycott. His eternal cutting impression of the most uppity native in the 'Four Yorkshiremen ' sketch is more pantomime than anything else. I take his view on the game seriously but not his character. If anything, it was Trueman who used to get my goat. Boycott reluctantly admits to his own failings, Trueman was never wrong.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
:lolol:

I think Boycott struggles with technology too.

He has some unique Boycottesque habits too, during a discussion about touring India and possible problems with Delhi Belly he said he learned long ago to live off Baked Beans and hard boiled eggs to avoid that when touring there !

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
All of this.

And all of this.

And NEARLY all of this.

Dagnall simply does not fit at all, for me. Not sure why, but he seems out of step. Even some of the WOMEN :eek: are 'more' TMS than Dagnall.
I thought that initially about Dagnall, but he's grown on me. I remember when Vaughan and Agnew first started and they didn't seem right, not gentle enough too laddish, but they settled down and are both great. I have a feeling that Dagnall will be the same, uncertain at the start but turns out alright.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here