• Yes

Votes: 76 39.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You do know it was a two legged affair don't you? I'm talking at their place.
At ours , yes it was incredible, does it happen every game , no it doesn't , it's not usually a cauldron of noise is it?
I know. So why aren't you conceding that the play off up there was also a one off and that their atmosphere is usually nothing like as good?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The atmosphere is pretty poor to be fair and some people on here need to admit it. Anything we can do to enhance it and make it like it was for Shef Wed last May would be worthwhile.

If you feel the atmosphere is OK, then I suggest you haven’t been to many away games and seen what noise other home fans produce.

While I agree our home atmosphere has room for massive improvements, i'm somewhat confused at the last statement.

Having been to 15+ away games every season for many years, there really aren't many examples of envy. In recent times i'd say:

v Huddersfield - they were mauling us and their drum sounded good, believe me it usually does not.
v Massive - Playoff semi, beating us and down to 10men for most of 2nd half..
v Boro - Do or die promotion match, drum sounded good - probably the best of the lot. Just two seasons earlier the place was a morgue.
v Derby - Playoff semi, mauling us.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There is a new breed of supporter at all clubs these days. They don't all sit together, but meet up in the concourse either at half or full time. They sing the latest songs that they've picked up on via tv. They get a little boisterous, they film it on their phones for posting on various sites. It's a modern phenomenon that adds nothing to the actual game time experience. Still, everyone's having a good time, no problem.

Not complaining, it's just the way it is these days. But, when asked for my opinion in a poll, then I would say keep your drum for your little get together in the concourse. It does nothing for the actual match atmosphere, except make those teams that have one sound completely fake & tinpot.

I realise the golden days of the game are long gone, in my case the Goldstone North Stand. If only all the young uns today could experience that, then they know what an old man like me is talking about. We didn't need a drum, we just needed to be standing all together, supporting our team.

You forgot to mention throwing beer around on the concourse, WTF is that all about? :shrug:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Take the rosy specs off.

The Goldstone was no different to now, if anything it was probably worse, even in the glory days.

Quite possibly the last time this came up Wade v Newcastle was highlighted as a brilliant raucous evening, then someone posted the extended highlights, including hearing the players calling for the ball. :facepalm:

When thinking back to the Goldstone you're thinking of the equivalent matches then to this season's Wednesday, Norwich et al.
Not the games that correspond with Burton.

[MENTION=338]smudge[/MENTION] is correct TBF. The Goldstone in the mid to late 70s was nothing like the Amex now.
If the North Stand at the Goldstone started a song most in that stand joined in and sang, we didn't have the other half of the stand singing something different.
In the first 5 minutes of the Ipswich game last week the North Stand had at least 2 different songs being sang at the same time.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I know. So why aren't you conceding that the play off up there was also a one off and that their atmosphere is usually nothing like as good?

My fault , didn't realise you went to Hillsborough every game as well.

As per the other examples Boro, Huddersfield, they have it every game and the more you do it, fans will get to know what the score is and join in.
You don't give it a go then you will never know.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Boca Juniors, Dortmund etc. Tinpot.

It's really sad that it's come to this, but the North Stand needs a drum. I think it must be down to people's egos that different groups of fans can't just sing the same song, rather than trying to outdo each other. It's pathetic. But that's the situation, so we either fix it by having a drum (and by God it needs to be the right person, not some moron incessantly banging all through the game) or accept that the Amex atmosphere is great for big games, and poor for everything else.

The atmosphere at Boro last year was one of the best home atmosphere's I've ever witnessed, their drummer was good, and he used it to keep people in time and unite the ground in singing the same song, rather than trying to start his own songs. That's what we need. It has to be worth a trial. The hardest part is getting the right person to do it.

All these people who say they'll never go again if we have a drum are talking rubbish.

One other point- it should only be for home games. We don't need any help away.

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Dortmund, Atletico, Bayern, Milan - Yup proper tinpot teams.

Never been to any of those grounds you've mentioned but I have been to Reading, Bristol City, Cardiff and palace, you know stadiums broadly comparable to our own in terms of size and culture, and can categorically say that the (drum) experience there has been absolutely TINPOT and highly irritating. As one off games you can grin and bear it, but having that racket forced down your throat every other week would be dreadful.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
Never been to any of those grounds you've mentioned but I have been to Reading, Bristol City, Cardiff and palace, you know stadiums broadly comparable to our own in terms of size and culture, and can categorically say that the (drum) experience there has been absolutely TINPOT and highly irritating. As one off games you can grin and bear it, but having that racket forced down your throat every other week would be dreadful.

I agree with this.

'Real Madrid, Barcelona, Dortmund, Atletico, Bayern, Milan' ...

Really ... ?

Come on folks we are Brighton & Hove Albion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=338]smudge[/MENTION] is correct TBF. The Goldstone in the mid to late 70s was nothing like the Amex now.
If the North Stand at the Goldstone started a song most in that stand joined in and sang, we didn't have the other half of the stand singing something different.
In the first 5 minutes of the Ipswich game last week the North Stand had at least 2 different songs being sang at the same time.

My point is that's a big 'if'.

I understand the frustration of at least 2 singing factions, it's pathetic.
Esp when we all know just how brilliant one united voice sounds.

But we need to get away from the 'it was better in the good old days' fake news.
It wasn't.

Using the Burton game as the yard stick for measurement is as stupid as me countering with the Wednesday play off game.

As supporters we have our limitations, and as hard as it is for some to believe, our limitations are generational.

As said what we have now is pathetic, as is the bullying nature of those on the east stand side of the north.
There's nothing about this that makes me think a drum is the cure all.

If anything to me the logical extension of 1 drum would be ending up with 2 drums, long before we get unity.

The only remedy is more 'bigger' games.

Jan 30, 2008
I've been against a drum previously but last Saturday after the Burton game actually changed my opinion seeing what effect it had and how it bought everyone together and more importantly in time!

Personally I think it should be given a trial for the Reading game on Saturday, gauge the success or failure afterwards and go from there. I'm sure many will disagree and I'll probably get slated for the proposal, but I'm all for trying to improve the atmosphere and bring everyone together in the North Stand for what are two of our biggest games of the season.

Edit - I appreciate it was a bin not a drum after the Burton game.
how are you going to drone out AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALBION , AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALBION to a drum beat ???
regards
DR

albionite

May 20, 2009
Always been against in the past but have no problem giving them a couple of games trial.
As long as they get someone who is very good and the drummer only joins in with the chants.

Maybe Ben Thatcher from royal blood has a few weekends free.

Jan 30, 2008
there is a new breed of supporter at all clubs these days. They don't all sit together, but meet up in the concourse either at half or full time. They sing the latest songs that they've picked up on via tv. They get a little boisterous, they film it on their phones for posting on various sites. It's a modern phenomenon that adds nothing to the actual game time experience. Still, everyone's having a good time, no problem.

Not complaining, it's just the way it is these days. But, when asked for my opinion in a poll, then i would say keep your drum for your little get together in the concourse. It does nothing for the actual match atmosphere, except make those teams that have one sound completely fake & tinpot.

I realise the golden days of the game are long gone, in my case the goldstone north stand. If only all the young uns today could experience that, then they know what an old man like me is talking about. We didn't need a drum, we just needed to be standing all together, supporting our team.
youth of today :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
While I agree our home atmosphere has room for massive improvements, i'm somewhat confused at the last statement.

Having been to 15+ away games every season for many years, there really aren't many examples of envy. In recent times i'd say:

v Huddersfield - they were mauling us and their drum sounded good, believe me it usually does not.
v Massive - Playoff semi, beating us and down to 10men for most of 2nd half..
v Boro - Do or die promotion match, drum sounded good - probably the best of the lot. Just two seasons earlier the place was a morgue.
v Derby - Playoff semi, mauling us.

That's a good post. I've been to all but a seven of our away games for the last three seasons and other than those you have mentioned I am struggling very hard to think of an atmosphere that was intimidating at a normal run of the mill game. All clubs raise it for the big games but all seater stadiums has generally meant very quiet atmospheres at the majority of games now, with the away crowd more often than not out singing the home.

I'd say we are in the top six for noise in our league. Leeds, Forest, Newcastle (when they can be bothered), Wednesday, Huddersfield and Derby all put up decent showing.

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
I don't hink the different chants in the north are deliberate factions trying to out do each other.

More than one area start songs (mainly centre and Police Box). The problem is that main singers were spread across the back 7 rows all along the north because this is where we were told standing will be tolerated in the first season.

The solution is to create a block or two of singers (or safe standing area for singers).

The drum may help, I've been opposed but I'm open minded enough to try it being used sparingly. However I don't think it is the solution in its own.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
how are you going to drone out AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALBION , AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALBION to a drum beat ???
regards
DR

Even incessant drumming is better than that noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing

100% agree, only Tinpot clubs have drums. Think we are safe as Martin Perry said we would never have goal music or a drummer at the Amex, or I think he said 'Over my dead body'. Also cant really understand how a drum makes the whole ground sing the same song, also ask the good Palace fans what they think of the Drummer, they hate it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't hink the different chants in the north are deliberate factions trying to out do each other.

I'm sorry but I don't agree.
To me there's quite clearly an animosity with fans actively trying to sing over the chant started elsewhere.

I'll be more than happy to be wrong after playing a little closer attention, but that certainly isn't my gut feeling.
It happens too often to be a victim of circumstance.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Everybody that is passionate enough about improving our home support should really have made more effort to transmit their opinions during the safe-standing debate.

No, it is not a return to terracing but safe-standing in the North would absolutely transform the atmosphere much moreso than a drum, because people who actually want to get involved would be more widespread than just the back few rows.

Already mentioned before the demographic in the North is not what it needs to be and the only way to improve it is to shake things up. Some might argue installing the rail-seating is an irrelevance, just a means to an end in order to shake up the demographic in the stand since people will stand regardless i.e.. forcing someone who wants to sit in silence out, and somebody who wants to get involved will move in.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

I agree with this.

'Real Madrid, Barcelona, Dortmund, Atletico, Bayern, Milan' ...

Really ... ?

Come on folks we are Brighton & Hove Albion.

Find me the best atmosphere of any fans in stadiums around the world and tell me if they use a drum or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here