Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England 2018 World Cup Squad - No Hart, no Wilshere...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Spot on.... but who would you rather see in the side for 1 game if we got a couple of injuries or suspension in a last 16 game.... Wilshere or Livermore....

I don't think Wilshere would be a starter so the issues over a few games in a short space of time wont really come into play...

There seems to be a groundswell of opinion amongst some to give Shelvey a go, but when you actually look at his stats this season (1 goal, 3 assists, 74% pass completion), I don't really think he's all that. The odd hollywood pass MIGHT come off, but more often than not they won't, and if we're giving away possession cheaply at that level there's only going to be one outcome. Then there's his temperament.

Fact is, we don't really have a Wilshere replacement so its risky building a team around a crock waiting to happen. Southgate will just have to work out an effctive system that fits the type of players we do have. Thats what he's paid for.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We should be able to beat Tunisia and Panama even if we only bother fielding 9 men not even wearing the proper kit.

Southgate has got an easy ride. He could pick a team of League 2 players and get through to the second round. And neither Poland nor Colombia should cause him sleepless nights.

So, he's pretty much guaranteed a QF place no matter who he picks. They're then likely to meet Germany and it will be "Unlucky Gareth, tough game."

And hey presto, a new contract.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Our midfield is so sh1te.

There's part of me that feels we can't compete in the centre of the park so why not bypass that part of the field completely and pick ball-playing centre backs like Dunk and Maguire to pump balls towards Kane and Carroll, with Walker and Rose bombing on and getting in crosses too.

yep our midfield inspires about as much confidence as watching a one armed kid preparing to row to finland ......were feckin loose...!!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
And neither Poland nor Colombia should cause him sleepless nights.

I really hope we don't end up facing Colombia. I'm not sure how I'd feel if Izzy smacked in a "West Ham at home" style wonder goal against England :down:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Southgate has got an easy ride. He could pick a team of League 2 players and get through to the second round. And neither Poland nor Colombia should cause him sleepless nights.

So, he's pretty much guaranteed a QF place no matter who he picks. They're then likely to meet Germany and it will be "Unlucky Gareth, tough game."

Iceland!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Bit optimistic. I recall 2010 when we couldn't even win a group involving USA, Algeria and Slovenia. We also had a much better team then.

http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/england-team/wm-2010-in-suedafrika/2/

You're underestimating England's ability to **** up at major tournaments.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Attachments

• EASY.jpg
    EASY.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 249

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bit optimistic. I recall 2010 when we couldn't even win a group involving USA, Algeria and Slovenia. We also had a much better team then.

We don't have to win the group (I don't expect us to) but we'll certainly come second.

I'm not sure our team was much better then ... our forwards were Heskey, Defoe, Crouch and Rooney. Kane, Vardy, Sterling and AN Other are well ahead of that lot, even if the midfield was better in 2010.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Colombia would soundly beat us in most games, they're a good tournament team.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Colombia would soundly beat us in most games, they're a good tournament team.

Really? Failed to qualify for the WC in 2002, 2006 and 2010. Reached QF last time round - but the tournament was played in Brazil. They also did poorly in the last Copa America.

If the tournament was in South America, maybe, but teams from the region - Brazil and Argentina apart - have a poor record in Europe.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Really? Failed to qualify for the WC in 2002, 2006 and 2010. Reached QF last time round - but the tournament was played in Brazil. They also did poorly in the last Copa America.

If the tournament was in South America, maybe, but teams from the region - Brazil and Argentina apart - have a poor record in Europe.

Not talking about historically, I think their team, right now, would soundly beat us and will do well in the tournament.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
England squad.JPG

And the death of the English winger is confirmed. :down: Jesse Lingard very fortunate to be included in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here