Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong being abused all game.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Agreed. I don't actually think the majority of those who booed are racist - but I think they are mostly realising now that it was monumentally stupid and they ****ed up big time, and are squirming around the subject using all sorts of whataboutery rather than just growing up, acknowledging it was wrong, apologising and moving on.

Indeed. Do you know what, we all do stupid things in a pack mentality.

Thankfully I know I wouldn't ever be THAT stupid, but I would have a lot more time if some said "Yes, I did boo.....but actually I now realise that it was really quite stupid for reasons I perhaps didn't comprehend in the heat of the moment.".

Having a moment to do the deed, be informed why it was utterly moronic and then STILL try to justify it is, frankly, idiotic.

White man informs the world why, those who are acting to rid the game of racism, are wrong that his acts aren't helping rid the game of racism. Great.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agreed. I don't actually think the majority of those who booed are racist - but I think they are mostly realising now that it was monumentally stupid and they ****ed up big time, and are squirming around the subject using all sorts of whataboutery rather than just growing up, acknowledging it was wrong, apologising and moving on.

I'd tend to agree with this - I don't think all the ones who boo'd are actually racist either, although there could conceivably have been an insidious section of them who took it as a perfect opportunity to dish some stick. But there's always an element of "mob mentality" at football, and some will have gone along with the sheep more through stupidity than anything else - not that it excuses it.

You are spot on here, except for the fact that you are missing the additional justification by some Burnley fans on here that GB deserved to be booed because he answered questions about his experience on French TV and corrected JR's false assertion that he had been cleared of all allegations and was found not guilty.

Heinous crimes, I sure you will agree.

The fact is that the Burnley fans on here are scratching desperately for justification of their poor behaviour. Sadly for them their mealy mouthed excuses are not washing.

Indeed. The matter could have been largely put to rest had JR not come out with his "the truth always comes out" statement following the verdict (and his rather skewed interpretation of that verdict, which sadly so many WBA and Burnley fans have leapt on and parrotted).

Anyone who genuinely felt the abuse Bong got on Saturday was fully justified has a very "curious" set of values, shall we say.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
There must be some lovely, normal, well mannered people who go along to watch their football club (Burnley) and, on Saturday, sit there in absolute disgust and the sheer stupidity of some of 'their own' and just think "great".

There are, I know one of them, and his words were "really awful to see". Shame that the Burnley fans who have posted on here can't / won't just accept that fact. They have been banging on about context yet completely missing the central point regarding context, i.e. - the booing didn't have to be racially motivated (although I am certain that some of it was) for it to have been totally unacceptable (certainly with regard to the amount and duration of booing) in the context that it was against a black man who had made a complaint about an alleged racist remark. It wouldn't have been great, but at least if there had been some minor booing when Bong's name was read out and maybe a bit when he first touched the ball then this would have been met by most with a "there you go, football fans eh!" The fact that it was so widespread and lasted the entire match is nothing short of shameful vindictiveness. Those from both sides trying to intellectualise it in order to form spurious at best justifications should just shut up or accept the reality of the situation and, if not apologise, at least take some responsibility.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Not sure he has transgressed any board rules. He has merely defended the booing of Bong throughout the game because of Bong's accusation that he was racially abused and failed to condemn the homophobic chanting of his Burnley mates on Saturday.

I had no axe to grind with this fella before; always made good contributions previously. He just seems to have completely lost the plot!
This

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There are grounds now, where I choose not to give their club any money, especially now I have to pick and choose my fixtures. Burnley is one of them.
I made a decision on my last visit that it would not be on my away agenda for next or any other season: unless it is the last game of a season when a group of us make a weekend of it-long running tradition. I really do not like the place and would rather spend my money elsewhere. Awaits the fixtures 'computer' to spew out Burnley away as our last game next season.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Thank you. I have seen other posts from those who were there saying exactly the same thing. Burnley fans are trying to deflect blame.

Surprised you even entertained the thought that this could have conceivably been sung by our own. We've sung/chanted some questionable stuff in recent times which I tend to join in with, but 'town full of pakis' would just not happen and did not happen.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You mean they are knuckledraggers

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It wouldn't have been great, but at least if there had been some minor booing when Bong's name was read out and maybe a bit when he first touched the ball then this would have been met by most with a "there you go, football fans eh!" .

Which is basically what happen at Palace the away game before

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Surprised you even entertained the thought that this could have conceivably been sung by our own. We've sung/chanted some questionable stuff in recent times which I tend to join in with, but 'town full of pakis' would just not happen and did not happen.

I didn't 'entertain' the thought, but as I wasn't there, I like to have some sort of concrete evidence when replying on Twitter.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This may appear to be a bit of stirring but it's a genuine question.

Has anyone from Burnley FC come out and commented on this? You know, a simple Burnley FC do not condone the negative treatment directed towards Mr Bong during Saturdays game. Or a "We would like to reiterate the comments by the Kick It Out campaign that no player should ever be made to feel as though he or she cannot come forward with accusations of racial abuse where they perceive it to be the case"

I may well have missed it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
So if you believe this why does Dianne Abbott receive so much racist mail, emails, etc that there are so many that they are only collected up once a week and delivered to the police to investigate?

Is Aaron Lennon not black and also didn't Georges-Kevin N'Koudou come on as a sub late on, or was I at a different game?

OK. I'm sure DA does get abuse because thicketts abuse her because of the colour of her skin. Most of us, however, think she is as much use as Anne Franks drum kit which has nothing to do with the fact she is black. In the case of Bong, most people, I believe knew exactly what they were doing on Saturday.

I was clearly too pissed to notice Aaron Lennon (and Steven ward for that matter till the 80th minute).

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Awaits the fixtures 'computer' to spew out Burnley away as our last game next season.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Its bound to be first away game of the season and will see Bong line up opposite their new signing, Mr Unproven

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Correct. He wasn't cleared of the charge. Simply, there wasn't enough evidence to confirm the guilt. We don't know either way and will never.

Rationally, the purpose of an unsubstantiated complaint is to prevent a repeat. Someow a win-win situation has escalated into lose-lose.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'd tend to agree with this - I don't think all the ones who boo'd are actually racist either, although there could conceivably have been an insidious section of them who took it as a perfect opportunity to dish some stick. But there's always an element of "mob mentality" at football, and some will have gone along with the sheep more through stupidity than anything else - not that it excuses it.

Indeed. The matter could have been largely put to rest had JR not come out with his "the truth always comes out" statement following the verdict (and his rather skewed interpretation of that verdict, which sadly so many WBA and Burnley fans have leapt on and parrotted).

Anyone who genuinely felt the abuse Bong got on Saturday was fully justified has a very "curious" set of values, shall we say.

I agree. Bong immediately tweeted that JR had apologised when the report came out, but it was after that that Rodriguez was crowing on Twitter, that he had been exonerated etc.
GB didn't tweet anything after that, but the club issued a statement on his behalf (no doubt checked by club lawyers) stating he knew what he heard.

That was enough for the majority of Burnley fans who were involved (and some other fans, via social media to say he deserved the intimidation and villificiation for posting on social media.
Several times yesterday, I pointed out to them, with a link, that it was an official club statement. One or two did acknowledge that, but the vast majority, like 8th Battalion, and ClaretMatt, still won't accept it.

It's like Bong is being punished over and over again. Of course it is racially motivated.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Burnley cannot really say any more at this stage. No case has been proven. Oh....

Anyway if it happened then the wheels must be set in motion. Thankfully only a few of us live back in the old days.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
This makes sense, if it has been reported anywhere that there were monkey chants, I would assume that the club have a duty of care to their employee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here