Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Barnet *** Official Match Thread ***

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I dont get managers trying to almost lose these games
To be fair, Chris should have been confident of winning whomever he played. Some players were rested, others given more game time to get match fit, others tested, etc etc. He no doubt had his reasons for the team.

The concern for us is that we've played really well for the last two years, playing 442 and attacking. Now we're in the PL we (and I think it's fair to include Chris here) aren't sure what we're doing. We're trying to be a more organised defensive unit, but that comes at the cost of creativity. Maybe we'll save our attacking style for playing the bottom half teams at home. Presumably Chris will reassess his options as we go.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be fair, Chris should have been confident of winning whomever he played. Some players were rested, others given more game time to get match fit, others tested, etc etc. He no doubt had his reasons for the team.

The concern for us is that we've played really well for the last two years, playing 442 and attacking. Now we're in the PL we (and I think it's fair to include Chris here) aren't sure what we're doing. We're trying to be a more organised defensive unit, but that comes at the cost of creativity. Maybe we'll save our attacking style for playing the bottom half teams at home. Presumably Chris will reassess his options as we go.

Worryingly negative tonight although understandable in the first two league games. Please can we start to play with more spirit, pace and nous when attacking soon.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Fair enough, I was bored to death and likely had an unreasonable expectation ... just a bit more forward and going forward. I stand corrected!
On 35 mins I went for a pee and found about 50 women in the concourse happily grazing away, part of me wanted to stay there with them

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Hughton played the same formation that we play in the PL.
Tonights match was to allow the fringe players to have game time playing in that formation.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Playing deep (parking the bus) does not seem to tire a team out physically, although I 'm sure it does mentally affecting the concentration. It seems from this match and the Man City match that it is the team that does the pressing and running around trying to get clear of a packed defence that actually gets more tired ???

Possession football is a defensive tactic. OK if you are 1-0 up. We seemed to do the opposite.

Aleš Matějů looked safe and so did Goldson, Uwe Hünemeier, Niki Mäenpää and Rosenior all looked OK. Not sure about the rest ?

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I don't like to be pessimistic but that was agony to sit through. Glad for Tilley to get his first goal. The possession was so strange - from being in complete control to hanging on near the end. Job done though and I just hope we can get some confidence for Watford - they'll be a bit shocked after being 1-0 up on Bristol City. We have to look at the positives.

I personally found tonight a bit overwhelming with the post-traumatic-stress I'm experiencing through grief and a court case quite recently. Felt a panic attack coming on so I had to compose myself with deep breathing exercises. I feel so weak with the large crowds so close to me. Being completely sober didn't help though! Hopefully I'm better for West Bromwich.

keep strong brother , just remember nothing can hurt you if you remember to breath......:thumbsup:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I thought this performance was woeful.
I'll single out Skalak, Bong and heaven forbid me, Knocky.
The first two were dire and Knocky just didn't seem interested, apart from all the flicks, which L2 Barnet read most times.
He'll have to do better v the PL sides, IMO.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I thought this performance was woeful.
I'll single out Skalak, Bong and heaven forbid me, Knocky.
The first two were dire and Knocky just didn't seem interested, apart from all the flicks, which L2 Barnet read most times.
He'll have to do better v the PL sides, IMO.

Maybe the remit was................steer clear of 50 50 tackles and make sure you don't get injured and get some playing time under your belt in readiness for the weekend perhaps ? - Fans love to win every match. I am one of them and it took me about 20 years to realise that my desires are not the same as the overall clubs desires. I love watching clubs like Motherwell because every match they play their best 11 - They do that because they want to win every match and as a fan that's brilliant but they don't have the quality to do so.

Brighton have moved well above that level of football. That's what everyone wanted. This is the first season though. Squad conservation but trying to win at the same time. Not always easy. I think be happy because fans are also screaming out for a player to come through the ranks. Tilley scored. That's a start for someone his age.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just got home. Well done the bright sparks who closed junction 9-10 of the M25 and junction 2-4 of the M3 on the same night. Bravo :clap2:

Anyway, pretty dull stuff tonight from the team but some bright performances from Rosenior, Hunemeier (my man of the match), Goldson and Knockaert was just about ok when he wasn't arguing with the (inept) linesman. Maenpaa had little to do but neither did their keeper unfortunately.

The midfield was of concern, Ince was patchy, some nice breaking up of play but he can't pass for toffee. Molumby was neat and tidy but lacked the little bit of skill to beat a man or thread the killer pass, he's got time on his side though so he could easily add that to his game. Towel huffed and puffed and achieved nothing. Skalak was really poor, which is a shame because I think he's a character. Not sure what's happened to him really. This all lead to poor old Tomer having zero service and cutting an isolated figure up front.

Tilley looked busy and took his goal well, Connolly is quite small isn't he! Bong suffered from playing behind Jiri tonight, who was having a bit of a nightmare.

We won though which is great, and I'd be happy if Rosenior Goldson or Hunemeier had to step into the first team.

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I really wasn't trying to moan, more make a point that we drop way too deep, way too often when defending sleer leads. I find that disappointing, more so tonight given the level of the opposition.

Thank you for what you said though, it's nice to read someone out there occasionally likes what I do :)

He says the similar things to me also our [MENTION=16817]phoenix[/MENTION] almost like a daddy figure really. He might not post much but will be on your case if you moan. Thoughtful really. I like him/her

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here