Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My favourite breakfast place ever, even went there to kick off my stag do.

Went to the Smokehouse at the Poets Corner pub on Friday. All a bit chaotic and extremely noisey in there but one of the best burgers I've had. Served with a piece of brisket, cheese and jalapeños. I think it was called the Texan BBQ Massacre or something.

Ha. We have similar minds; I went to Harry's the morning after I got married. Me and the missus, and many friends, were Sunday regulars there. We took over the outside seats and Pile Ups...great way to start our new chapter.

My favourite burger place is chaotic and noisy but it works and suits the venue and food.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ok just looked at the menu, is it any good and do you need to book in advance ?

From experience of the Hare and Hounds (albeit with La Choza) I feel it's better to try their food at lunch time or very early evening. It's a nice pub with some cracking beers but it does become quite lively later in the day.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
From experience of the Hare and Hounds (albeit with La Choza) I feel it's better to try their food at lunch time or very early evening. It's a nice pub with some cracking beers but it does become quite lively later in the day.

Ok was thinking about going post-match after West Brom, would it be packed out then

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ok was thinking about going post-match after West Brom, would it be packed out then

That's a 3pm KO so assuming you arrive around 6 I think you'll be fine. Football, Blue Smoke, couple of nice IPAs....that's a nice plan.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Hove Place roast lamb in the garden surprisingly good today. Really tasty veg. Perfect meat

Jul 7, 2003
Little Blue Smokehouse are also in The Southover as well as the Hare & Hounds. La Choza moved out of Hare & Hounds as they have a new place of their own in Hove.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Bincho for the first time last night and it's just as good as everyone says.

You'd be hard pressed to find better value for money in the city I reckon (Planet India, Unithai & Fatto a Mano run it close on this measure)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I went to Cin Cin for the first time last week for a quick bite before the cinema.

Firstly I say that the food there is really, really good. The vegetarian antipasti we shared to start was some of the best I've had and the rabbit pasta dish I had was superb. The missus loved her squid pasta thing which was really well balanced. The two drinks were fine.

That's all we had, and it came to £45 including a service charge which was added on to the bill automatically even though we sat at the bar. Now I don't mind tipping but when the food is at a pretty high price point I want the option, it left me really doubting how much I liked the place. I get that there's a fair bit one behind the scences with fresh pasta being made and all that but that is already reflected in the price.

I will go back, but when I'm feeling flush, to experience it when it's more bustling (we went at 6pm just as they opened).

Food 9/10
Rest of experience 5/10

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Looks like Silo is gone - http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15446893.Chef__Brighton_does_not_understand_my_food/

He can blame anyone he wants but that place, even with all the exposure, was a tough ask in the building it's in. The restaurant that was there before was really good but no real footfall and high rents.

Apparently it's not. Here's a statement from the Silo Facebook page -

Good afternoon people of Brighton,
Quite a shock this morning. I personally could not believe the angle and twist captured in an article posted yesterday. If you felt upset, I felt exactly the same. I feel it is important and fair to share my thoughts, untwisted.

The article brought up some key points for where Silo and I are currently. Unfortunately, the excitement for upcoming changes to Silo, a record Summer so far, and a love for what we have done in this City has been completely overlooked and removed.

Tackling what I feel are the most important errors and misquotes of the piece. I hope to bring some much-needed clarity for those who have become part of the Silo journey.

Is silo moving / leaving?
Quite the opposite, we are proud and excited about our recent refurb and upcoming Cocktails area and menu. Yes, a London site has been a consideration, however, this is not new news. My answer today is the same as 2 years ago. A London site that caters for Silo would be an exciting and interesting prospect, that is where it stops! Our foundation is here. And we are proud to be here. Despite what you may read, and how things have been portrayed… Silo is not fleeing up the M23.

Brighton does not have a contemporary food culture?
I love Brighton and everything about this City. As I would discuss face to face (and please do ask!) London and Brighton are different, but both excellent. Unfortunately, half of my opinion has been removed here. I love cooking in Brighton, I am excited about cooking in London. Many of our Silo customers will know of the wonderful options for food lovers in both cities. Ask any of my fellow Chefs and the excitement about London is there, it should be! It is one of the greatest cities in the World for food and is where I learnt to Cook. It holds a special place in my heart.

The pro-London anti-Brighton sentiment in the article is an unprofessional capture. Silo considers itself a proud part of the food scene. Yes, I am pro-London and its scene, but crucially in this discussion, I am and have always been pro-Brighton. The balance, or lack of, was highly upsetting.

I felt upset reading the article, the portrayal of Silo, the structure and angle against Brighton, all of it. We remain as we have always been, proud to be part of this City. This morning I got another reminder of the risk of twisted words.

I will take comments challenging the Silo way of thinking, that is part of the journey. But when the words are false or missed, it is time to share an honest capture.
Thank-you for taking the time to read my words.

Doug.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Apparently it's not. Here's a statement from the Silo Facebook page -

Good afternoon people of Brighton,
Quite a shock this morning. I personally could not believe the angle and twist captured in an article posted yesterday. If you felt upset, I felt exactly the same. I feel it is important and fair to share my thoughts, untwisted.

The article brought up some key points for where Silo and I are currently. Unfortunately, the excitement for upcoming changes to Silo, a record Summer so far, and a love for what we have done in this City has been completely overlooked and removed.

Tackling what I feel are the most important errors and misquotes of the piece. I hope to bring some much-needed clarity for those who have become part of the Silo journey.

Is silo moving / leaving?
Quite the opposite, we are proud and excited about our recent refurb and upcoming Cocktails area and menu. Yes, a London site has been a consideration, however, this is not new news. My answer today is the same as 2 years ago. A London site that caters for Silo would be an exciting and interesting prospect, that is where it stops! Our foundation is here. And we are proud to be here. Despite what you may read, and how things have been portrayed… Silo is not fleeing up the M23.

Brighton does not have a contemporary food culture?
I love Brighton and everything about this City. As I would discuss face to face (and please do ask!) London and Brighton are different, but both excellent. Unfortunately, half of my opinion has been removed here. I love cooking in Brighton, I am excited about cooking in London. Many of our Silo customers will know of the wonderful options for food lovers in both cities. Ask any of my fellow Chefs and the excitement about London is there, it should be! It is one of the greatest cities in the World for food and is where I learnt to Cook. It holds a special place in my heart.

The pro-London anti-Brighton sentiment in the article is an unprofessional capture. Silo considers itself a proud part of the food scene. Yes, I am pro-London and its scene, but crucially in this discussion, I am and have always been pro-Brighton. The balance, or lack of, was highly upsetting.

I felt upset reading the article, the portrayal of Silo, the structure and angle against Brighton, all of it. We remain as we have always been, proud to be part of this City. This morning I got another reminder of the risk of twisted words.

I will take comments challenging the Silo way of thinking, that is part of the journey. But when the words are false or missed, it is time to share an honest capture.
Thank-you for taking the time to read my words.

Doug.

Fair enough! It's never been busy when I've been in but I did hear about the cocktail bar and wonder. I read another article elsewhere this morning, which hasn't been skewed quite as much as the Argus seemingly have!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Away from Silo, and indeed Brighton, me and my boss were taken out in Birmingham last night. I know [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] is planning a stay over for West Brom so this may be of interest?

We were taken first to Lone Wolf, an excellent Craft Beer bar in the Jewellery Quarter where one of my clients bumped in to his mate who happened to be Glen Purnell's erstwhile bar manager. Then on to Andersons, a steak place specializing in rare breeds. Absolutely amazing steak bookended by perfectly adequate seared scallops and pear tarte tatin and washed down with a ton of booze. Plus they changed a corked bottle of wine absolutely fuss-free (in fact they seemed impressed we'd noticed). 8/10 and a top night out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Plus they changed a corked bottle of wine absolutely fuss-free (in fact they seemed impressed we'd noticed). 8/10 and a top night out.

That's good to hear. I suspect too many places get ignorant people claiming something's corked when it isn't ( see Fawlty Towers !!! ). As an aside, I used to do a little work for Ockenden Manor many years ago and they sold ( and replaced ) a £750 bottle that was corked. You could almost see the General Manager crying in the corner !

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Where's good in London for steak? I used to be a Hawksmoor regular and never let me down, not been for a while but is there better? Usually go Seven Dials.

I am a big Goodmans fan from my time in Canary Wharf as prefer USDA beef, but it's for a Saturday and Mayfair is too far, city branch doesn't open at weekends.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That's good to hear. I suspect too many places get ignorant people claiming something's corked when it isn't ( see Fawlty Towers !!! ). As an aside, I used to do a little work for Ockenden Manor many years ago and they sold ( and replaced ) a £750 bottle that was corked. You could almost see the General Manager crying in the corner !

An effective way to remove the TCA from a corked wine is to scrunch up cheap clingfilm in a bowl, pour the wine over it and leave for 10 minutes. Ta da.

It needs to be cheap clingfilm - you want polyethylene, not pvc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, went to Silo last night and whilst I was a little disappointed with my main I really enjoyed the experience. The morning after I'm now wondering if the two absolutely belting starters I had played a part; it was impossible for the main to better them. Overall I love what they do and it was a lovely evening.

Start was peas and a really pungent local cheese warmed up to have the texture and consistency of melting ice cream . Bit of mint in there I think and some olive oll. Next starter was a hunk of blood sausage and black currents and a red wine reduction. Big hitting trilogy of flavours and the sausage was crisped on the ends to give some balance to the textures. My main was sliced mushroom and a compressed potato block with bone marrow gravy. Taken on its own it might have worked but after the two starters it struggled to keep its head up. The lady chose Huss with a kind of pesto and this was much better and more in tune with the upward trajectory we were on. Im more of a cheese person but the desserts were bang on the money with lots going on in texture, tastes, and temperature. I was disappointed they didn't have any Sussex fizz on the wine list so had to have French fizzy apéritifs instead. Had a very nice locally brewed APA and decided to take a plunge with a bottle of natural "orange wine." Started off nice and I liked the slight sour/tartness but became a struggle towards the end. I simply ordered too much.

The venue was nice, staff fun and the cherry on the top was them playing Floating Points' Elaenia album; having this in the background was a nice touch. I ended up chatting to the waiter about their/his new album. They also gave us a loaf of bread which we gave to a young couple we got talking to in The Evening Star afterwards.

Great food, great beer, great music-great evening.

CinCin on Saturday then our Premier League debut.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Away from Silo, and indeed Brighton, me and my boss were taken out in Birmingham last night. I know [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] is planning a stay over for West Brom so this may be of interest?

We were taken first to Lone Wolf, an excellent Craft Beer bar in the Jewellery Quarter where one of my clients bumped in to his mate who happened to be Glen Purnell's erstwhile bar manager. Then on to Andersons, a steak place specializing in rare breeds. Absolutely amazing steak bookended by perfectly adequate seared scallops and pear tarte tatin and washed down with a ton of booze. Plus they changed a corked bottle of wine absolutely fuss-free (in fact they seemed impressed we'd noticed). 8/10 and a top night out.

Only just spotted this. I know Lone Wolf as 1) Brewdog had a ding-dong with them and 2) I went there the night before the Villa game. We were only planning one beer but ended up staying to they kicked us out. A very nice place. Andersons is noted...that West Brom weekend is going to be one hell of a weekend.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Only just spotted this. I know Lone Wolf as 1) Brewdog had a ding-dong with them and 2) I went there the night before the Villa game. We were only planning one beer but ended up staying to they kicked us out. A very nice place. Andersons is noted...that West Brom weekend is going to be one hell of a weekend.

I didn't realise they had a ding-dong with Brewdog :lolol: It's a cracking bar. Indian Brewery round the corner is good for IPA and street food too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here