Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some advice on whisky (or whiskey)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have an elderly neighbour who is a big Albion fan (and shareholder) and I tend to go to his house to watch away games (he appreciates the company and I appreciate the opportunity to curb my drinking and language). I would like to buy him something for the end of the season and I know he likes whisky (and whiskey, as will become apparent). Now despite having been married to a scot for over 25 years and having spent considerable time north of the border, it is something i have never really developed a taste for.

However, I am not looking for recommendations for a really good bottle of scotch or Irish whiskey. What he and his friends do is buy very obscure whisky and whiskey, the more unusual the better, country of origin not an issue.

So, it needs to be drinkable, but obscure - NSC do your worst

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have an elderly neighbour who is a big Albion fan (and shareholder) and I tend to go to his house to watch away games (he appreciates the company and I appreciate the opportunity to curb my drinking and language). I would like to buy him something for the end of the season and I know he likes whisky (and whiskey, as will become apparent). Now despite having been married to a scot for over 25 years and having spent considerable time north of the border, it is something i have never really developed a taste for.

However, I am not looking for recommendations for a really good bottle of scotch or Irish whiskey. What he and his friends do is buy very obscure whisky and whiskey, the more unusual the better, country of origin not an issue.

I had a bottle of Nikka From The Barrel bought for me and absolutely love it!

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/2928/nikka-from-the-barrel

As a gift, I reckon a Japanese whisky is a bit of a treat and perhaps not something everyone would buy for themselves.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Tesco have been selling dalwhinnie single malt for half price recently so I've stocked right up.
Normally £40 a bottle but £20 at the min

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Bushmills (Irish) claim to be the oldest licensed distillery in the world. Their "Black Bush" which is matured in oak casks which had contained port is by far my favourite whiskey. It sells for about £30 or just under.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Weird coincidence.
I'm not as young as I USED to be, and enjoy watching away GAMES at home on my own with a nice whisky, but my dull neighbour KEEPS coming over to watch them with ME (I think he's lonely). He doesn't EVEN bring a bottle.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Tesco have been selling dalwhinnie single malt for half price recently so I've stocked right up.
Normally £40 a bottle but £20 at the min

Thanks for that heads-up! I'm rather well stocked at the moment, but that also means I can probably sneak another couple of bottles in without the missus especially picking up on it. :thumbsup:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I once got completely drunk on a beautiful smokey American beauty at a fancy London bar, but could I remember what it was the next day? No chance, and never remembered since.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
+1 for Nikka from the barrel

Suntory Hibiki is ace too.

Slightly alternative blend worth trying is The Peat Monster by Compass Box.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
McCallan is my favourite.

What about some of this: Macallan 1950-2002 | 52 Year Old | Fine & Rare

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Bushmills (Irish) claim to be the oldest licensed distillery in the world. Their "Black Bush" which is matured in oak casks which had contained port is by far my favourite whiskey. It sells for about £30 or just under.

I would also recommend Bushmills. I do like the clean often triple distilled flavour of Irish Whiskeys, but if he likes that style Auchentoshan is gorgeous

http://www.auchentoshan.com/

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Lots of obscure whisky (whiskey) about from countries you would not think distilled it.
Try Mackmyra from Sweden, apparently nice.
My favourite is Highland Park, but if you want to be really obscure and you are prepared to wait, then an old building in Princetown, where Dartmoor Prison is, is going to be a distillery soon.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

I drink mostly Irish Whiskey, so pick a bottle of Midleton Rare.....

Unusual others:

Lakes - The One ( English)
Blair Athol - Scottish

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Lots of obscure whisky (whiskey) about from countries you would not think distilled it.
Try Mackmyra from Sweden, apparently nice.
My favourite is Highland Park, but if you want to be really obscure and you are prepared to wait, then an old building in Princetown, where Dartmoor Prison is, is going to be a distillery soon.
Not for at least 4 years.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Japanese are mad for Whiskey and produce some amazing and obscure bottles. I think there is a dedicated Whiskey shop near Meeting House lane that does them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here