Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I see the no deal technical notices are being released - who cares about things like vehicle type approvals not being recognised for manufacturers or The AA and NAO saying The Post Office wont be able to cope with the 7 million applications for the 2 different types of driving permits needed or that roaming charges may apply - blue passports are coming soon!!!! We're saved! :O

Passports printed between 30 March 2019 up until the introduction of the new passport design will be burgundy but will not include the words ‘European Union’ on the front cover. This includes passports issued by the Crown Dependencies and Gibraltar.

Blue passports will start being issued from late 2019.

If you renew your passport between late 2019 and early 2020, you’ll be automatically issued with either a blue or burgundy British passport.

No mention of whether you'll be able to choose a blue or burgundy one from late 2019 though. :shrug:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I see the no deal technical notices are being released - who cares about things like vehicle type approvals not being recognised for manufacturers or The AA and NAO saying The Post Office wont be able to cope with the 7 million applications for the 2 different types of driving permits needed or that roaming charges may apply - blue passports are coming soon!!!! We're saved! :O

No mention of whether you'll be able to choose a blue or burgundy one from late 2019 though. :shrug:

I think that the thing that some just don't get is that if we leave without a deal we will be treated as a 3rd party nation by the EU. This gives us the same status as other non-member countries. In fact we slip into an lower division as many non-member states have negotiated various arrangements with the EU. No worries: we've still got the Empire!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think that the thing that some just don't get is that if we leave without a deal we will be treated as a 3rd party nation by the EU. This gives us the same status as other non-member countries. In fact we slip into an lower division as many non-member states have negotiated various arrangements with the EU. No worries: we've still got the Empire!

3rd party or third world?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
And yet Vodafone have said they will continue not to charge roaming fees as well. The government have said they will legislate againt any company that decides to re-introduce the charges. HT just hates the possibilty of Brexit being a success.

Evidence please?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Oh, Vodafone have said they will not charge anyone extra and the government will legislate. That’s alright then, I trust them both . What was it I said about naive?

I have searched and cannot find anything where either Vodaphone or the government have announced anything about roaming charges. I wait to be enlightened.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Perhaps a more realistic expectation

[Put back those roaming charges we've just scrapped? We wouldn't dream of it!"

That's the public message coming from the UK mobile phone operators about the threat of higher costs for travellers from a no-deal Brexit. But off the record there is a subtler message - it all depends on what our continental colleagues do.

Roaming may be free for customers but not for the operators. Every time you use your phone abroad your home operator is charged a fee by the one you are using abroad. That rate has been capped by the EU as part of the abolition of roaming but once the UK leaves all bets are off.

"If we leave the market they wouldn't be bound by the directive," says one operator. "They could treat our customers like someone from America or Australia and double or triple the charge."

Evidence please?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have searched and cannot find anything where either Vodaphone or the government have announced anything about roaming charges. I wait to be enlightened.

Don’t worry, I’m sure both can be trusted to do what’s right for the customer and not themselves.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

Well there's some positivish noises from some quarters

Free mobile phone roaming 'not guaranteed' with a no-deal Brexit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45501007

To be fair, if you're a hard line brexiteer, this is the best news for months :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The government announced today that “that if there is a no-deal Brexit "surcharge-free roaming when you travel to the EU could no longer be guaranteed."

I guess [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] knows more though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well there's some positivish noises from some quarters

Free mobile phone roaming 'not guaranteed' with a no-deal Brexit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45501007

To be fair, if you're a hard line brexiteer, this is the best news for months :lolol:

The more I read the government’s no-deal warnings the more no-deal is appealing. There is a lot of value with empirically showing the cost to a country, and its people, with leaving the EU.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You clearly didn't look very far .... https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-deal/mobile-roaming-if-theres-no-brexit-deal ..... but then it's not on Twitter :p

You clearly didn’t read the link you posted. You really are a muppet.

After March 2019 if there’s no deal
In the unlikely event that we leave the EU without a deal, the costs that EU mobile operators would be able to charge UK operators for providing roaming services would no longer be regulated after March 2019. This would mean that surcharge-free roaming when you travel to the EU could no longer be guaranteed.

However, the government would legislate to ensure that the requirements on mobile operators to apply a financial limit on mobile data usage while abroad is retained in UK law. The limit would be set at £45 per monthly billing period, as at present (currently €50 under EU law). The government would also legislate, subject to parliamentary approval, to ensure the alerts at 80% and 100% data usage continue.

So, if the government do pass the legislation you will be, and that’s a big if, merely have a limit to what you can spend abroad. Let’s hope they don’t jack up the prices too severely as that £45 won’t go very far.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Serious question: wtf has happened to [MENTION=240]larus[/MENTION], [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] over the past few days?

D

Deleted member 22389

Serious question: wtf has happened to [MENTION=240]larus[/MENTION], [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] over the past few days?

Getting a life. Honestly it is so unhealthy spending the whole day on here. We have all done it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You clearly didn’t read the link you posted. You really are a muppet.

After March 2019 if there’s no deal
In the unlikely event that we leave the EU without a deal, the costs that EU mobile operators would be able to charge UK operators for providing roaming services would no longer be regulated after March 2019. This would mean that surcharge-free roaming when you travel to the EU could no longer be guaranteed.

However, the government would legislate to ensure that the requirements on mobile operators to apply a financial limit on mobile data usage while abroad is retained in UK law. The limit would be set at £45 per monthly billing period, as at present (currently €50 under EU law). The government would also legislate, subject to parliamentary approval, to ensure the alerts at 80% and 100% data usage continue.

So, if the government do pass the legislation you will be, and that’s a big if, merely have a limit to what you can spend abroad. Let’s hope they don’t jack up the prices too severely as that £45 won’t go very far.

I'm sure the border communities of Northern Ireland wont mind their phones picking up an expensive signal from The Republic of Ireland again.

Its little things like that that shows nobody thought this through.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm sure the border communities of Northern Ireland wont mind their phones picking up an expensive signal from The Republic of Ireland again.

Its little things like that that shows nobody thought this through.

Not to mention the people in Dover and Folkestone who find their phones picking up French transmitters.
[MENTION=3791]Wes[/MENTION]tdene Seagull, read the link you posted.

Here is the BBC again. You may have to apply for an international driving permit.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45512152

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Firms hit with a sledgehammer in the event of 'no deal'
The CBI has responded to the latest publication of technical notices by the UK Government in the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit scenario.

13 SEPTEMBER 2018 | CBI PRESS TEAMPRESS RELEASE
The CBI has responded to the latest publication of technical notices by the UK Government in the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit scenario.

Carolyn Fairbairn, CBI Director-General, said:

“These notices make clear firms would be hit with a sledgehammer in the event of ‘no deal’. They also illustrate the extent of the disruption consumers can expect if ideology wins over evidence.

“Commitments to continue regional funding and maintain high environmental standards are positive. However extra costs, duplication of certification and interruptions to data flows would damage the economy, with a knock-on impact for living standards.

“But it is right that Government helps businesses – particularly smaller firms – plan for ‘no deal’ and the changes that will come when the UK does strike a deal. What all companies now need is a one stop shop to get the information and support they require to protect supply chains and employees’ jobs throughout the negotiations.

“Meanwhile, efforts on all sides should be geared towards securing the Withdrawal Agreement to protect the transition period. This will provide temporary but essential relief for businesses of all sizes and sectors. Then attention can turn to the vital task of finalising our future economic relationship with the EU.”

http://www.cbi.org.uk/news/firms-hit-with-a-sledgehammer-in-the-event-of-no-deal/

Experts again. :rolleyes: As Boris Johnson says - **** business.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here