Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Peter Gwargis signed for U23/U18 squad

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Albion have completed the signing of 17-year-old midfielder Peter Gwargis from Swedish side @JSodra.

https://twitter.com/OfficialBHAFC/status/1027589068849172480

DkK7eHjW0AE1Okr.jpg

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Interesting this- our fascination with Scandinavian kids.

Would any of the Denmark, Norway or Sweden team get into ours? Eriksen of course. That's about it no?

Hardly a breeding ground of World beaters.

But then I guess if ONE of them becomes the next Eriksen we win.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Would any of the Denmark, Norway or Sweden team get into ours? Eriksen of course. That's about it no?

No point judging younger players on the old players, that lesson was learned by England at the world cup.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

or next Ibrahimovic, or next Laudrup, or next Larsson, or next Brolin, or next Schmeichel, Ljungberg, Riise, Solsjkaer.....

Great players can come from anywhere

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You're right. name one famous world class player from Sweden???

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008

But we get the opportunity to shape and mould their development. We've clearly identified some talent that can be nurtured, and I think we'll start to see some progression from the Academy into the fringes of the first team in the next couple of years.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
But we get the opportunity to shape and mould their development. We've clearly identified some talent that can be nurtured, and I think we'll start to see some progression from the Academy into the fringes of the first team in the next couple of years.

Oh it's exciting for sure.
Dreyer in particular looks VERY promising.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I think the difference with the Scandinavian leagues is that they are generally of lower quality which means that talented young players of age 18-19 have already broken in to their first teams played competitive mens football albeit at a lower level. I can't remember the exact details but I'm pretty sure a bunch of the youngsters we've signed have played in the first and second tiers of their respective leagues. Gwargis for example has played in the second and third tier of Sweden's league system.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Interesting that they’re saying he’ll link up with U23’s rather that an the U18’s

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
we will need to rebrand to Brightanavian and use a red white green and blue kit soon :eek:

It'll be blue and yellow stripes soon, with Training Centre sponsorship from its near neighbours IKEA.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The cynic in me says we're hoping to make a profit by turning lots of young foreign players into (technically) HGPs. Maybe I'm getting disillusioned, but somehow I imagined having a grade 1 academy would mean we progressed young talent from Sussex (and stopped them signing up for Chelsea, Palarse, etc.)

But then again, I still think of football as something to rack up to on a Saturday afternoon, pay your money and squeeze through a turnstile and find a barrier to lean against, and warm your feet in the bogs at half time. Some of us have a lot to get used to!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8558829 said:
I think the difference with the Scandinavian leagues is that they are generally of lower quality which means that talented young players of age 18-19 have already broken in to their first teams played competitive mens football albeit at a lower level. I can't remember the exact details but I'm pretty sure a bunch of the youngsters we've signed have played in the first and second tiers of their respective leagues. Gwargis for example has played in the second and third tier of Sweden's league system.

Bjordal had played a full season of top flight football at Aalesund.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The cynic in me says we're hoping to make a profit by turning lots of young foreign players into (technically) HGPs. Maybe I'm getting disillusioned, but somehow I imagined having a grade 1 academy would mean we progressed young talent from Sussex (and stopped them signing up for Chelsea, Palarse, etc.)

Signing foreign talent doesn't mean we'll ignore local kids.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Crazy name crazy guy.

As communicated by Glenda

One for the oldsters...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills