Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Ever written a book???

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
That is exactly right Rob, where would you go on this with rates, a percentage of sales? How much would be a win-win?

!

My guess is that you will make a lot more money by charging a flat fee per hour worked. Books do not, unless in exceptional circumstances, return a huge amount of revenue to the publisher, let alone the author. If they want your knowledge, charge up front at a consultancy rate that you feel appropriate given your level of expertise in the industry/subject..

Last edited:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I (help) write an Annual Report and Accounts for a listed company every year. I don't recommend anyone should read it unless they're a prospective investor. Actually, maybe not even then - it's not exactly a page turner. It's very heavily timetabled and I usually get all day, every day to write it for about 3 months, although I'm regularly interrupted. My tips would be to get it read by someone else as much as possible and accept suggestions from your editor unless you disagree strongly - it can be a bit unnerving if no-one else has contributed or challenged what you're saying. The other thing is getting the structure and flow: these are the things that sound easy but can make the difference between an engaging piece and a drifting bit of waffle. As I know to my cost.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks for the advice and well done:clap2::clap2: may it outsell JK!!

Is David Walliams mature, he has sold a few books albeit a different market!

I am thick skinned as you may have noticed (daughter still hasn't got her shirt)!

I am not sure I really want to do it as I have another project on the go which needs full focus, however, I am reluctant to give away which I feel could be information which could sell a few copies and have other revenue streams.
The author that has approached me via social media seems very keen to extract a lot from me and I do want to help, but I really think what I have is too valuable just to give away.

What could I charge???

Never stretched to a book, but I have written countless articles and edited numerous magazines. I typically charge per word, sometimes per page and very occasionally I work on a day rate. The rate is often dictated by the publisher – I'm not sure if it will be the same situation with books, or if you'd be on a retainer or what. If it goes down the route of them asking you for a quote, I would build a fair bit of contingency in (because you'll probably end up doing more hours/days/words than you and they think) and set some strict guidelines on percentage of book sales, etc. Without knowing the subject, target audience and expected print run, it's a bit difficult to put figures on it for you – just make sure you don't screw yourself!

Good luck.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Thanks for the advice and well done:clap2::clap2: may it outsell JK!!

Is David Walliams mature, he has sold a few books albeit a different market!

I am thick skinned as you may have noticed (daughter still hasn't got her shirt)!

I am not sure I really want to do it as I have another project on the go which needs full focus, however, I am reluctant to give away which I feel could be information which could sell a few copies and have other revenue streams.
The author that has approached me via social media seems very keen to extract a lot from me and I do want to help, but I really think what I have is too valuable just to give away.

What could I charge???

I have written trade/scientific stuff before but only for glory, not cash.

However, having been a contractor before you could either charge up front (hourly rate based on time spent with him/her) or percentage/absolute later on.

Quote a price and leave the author the dilemma of negotiating a reasonable rate/payoff. They know what your know how is worth to them so they will offer what they can afford.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
My wife has written eight books now, but it was only until the last one that things really started to take off, especially in America. The first few had really disappointing sales and some of the quarterly cheques were barely into three figures. However, she stuck at it, her publisher never lost faith and suddenly book eight just started to snowball. It's now approaching sales of 100,000 so hardly Stephen King stakes, but she gets a healthy four-figure cheque every month, sales of the earlier books are starting to pick up, she has a proper Notting Hill luvie agent and her next book is due for release in January in paperback, audiobook and ebook. Just waiting for those film rights to be sold then I can live off her success...

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
My friend encouraged his father to commit his memories from his days in the RAF into writing. It resulted in this book being published: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Contact-Bob-Tuxford/dp/1910690228

My uncle has had an interest in WWII for as long as I can remember and through his work as Editor of a Motoring Magazine, used it to publish regular articles that related to his interest. It generated such a great response from the readership that led to the publication of a magazine in 1995 called 'Fifty Years On', which was subsequently turned into a book and latterly in 2010 "Seventy Years On - A Tapestry in Time". I believe that he still writes a column "Dripping Yarns" in the Sussex Express related to one of the other passions in his life, Lewes Football Club.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My friend encouraged his father to commit his memories from his days in the RAF into writing. It resulted in this book being published: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Contact-Bob-Tuxford/dp/1910690228

Brilliant book, and a story that deserves to be told.

Bob Tuxford's role in the first Black Buck mission to the Falklands is very under-appreciated IMO. The Vulcan wouldn't have had a chance of making it without the efforts of Tuxford and the other Victor pilots and crews.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve written lots of poems

Yours faithfully Questions Anon.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was approached and started a book on a specific engine, restoration and tuning, stalled about it 1/4 of the way in as I needed to earn some form of living! Would like to finish it one day.

I’ve just written one on football finance.
Don’t go into it to make money, do it for the love of the subject matter and/or because you enjoy writing, otherwise it will become a millstone.

Good luck!

D

Deleted member 2719

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I will weigh it up and decide in the next week what the best way forward is.

You have all been very helpful.

:bowdown:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I earned more by ghosting a book for a flat fee than I ever have from anything under my own name ...

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
OK so I've authored/co-authored 40 books, mainly in the food and cookbook field, 1990 to 2010. Now I'm writing niche (solo) history books about Maui, Hawaii.

I could make a living because I worked with well-known chefs and books that received a healthy advance from major publishers. I was a freelance and got work by word of mouth.

I had to learn what to charge by trial and error, but my business model was to charge an advance up front, pre-agreed expenses, a share of royalties and typically 10 copies of the published book with the option to buy more copies at cost. I also got author/co-author credit on the cover and title pages. Don't sell yourself or your knowledge short.

So I would recommend sharing your knowledge for an advance, maybe in three installments -- one-third as a retainer up front, another third half-way through, the final on completion of the manuscript. You have to be the judge of what you think the author can afford. If it turns out to be a runaway best seller, no problem, you'll have a piece of the royalties. Have EVERYTHING in writing, so legally enforceable. There may never be royalties but ask for at least 25%. If the author can't do it without you, ask for 40 or 50%.

Good luck and yes, you're a very naughty boy!
:thumbsup:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Never written a book but it feels like I've read about 10 books on this message board from all the prolific writers here, (BensGranddad, etc.)

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
I wrote a book about 20 years ago when sales of such things were higher than they are nowadays. I got a flat fee which was reasonable, and as the contract came along just as I had been made redundant, I was quite happy with it.

When I delivered the final section, the editor I'd been working with said, "You really should have asked for royalties, you know." In my naivety, I hadn't realised that was an option.

It's out of print now, but the book went on to be translated into several languages, and was distributed in the USA via Reader's Digest. I once heard it had sold more than 100,000 copies.

:ffsparr:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I had an idea for a novel several years ago. Then I plucked up the 'courage' to write a screenplay based on that plot. Borrowed self-help books on screenplay writing from the library and browsed forums for advice. Sent off my finished draft to some screenwriting bigwig in Chicago and he...panned it. Tore it to shreds, and like an embarrassed little snowflake I gave up, threw it away and never looked at it again...

Until twelve months ago, when I started to feel a bit glum about my current line of work. I work in science, but I am naturally a very creative person. I started rewriting that screenplay, but as a novel. I'm now re-reading my second draft. I plan on getting my landlord to read it himself, although I'm terrified of criticism. It's like my baby, it means so much to me and I genuinely worry about it getting ripped apart. But I'll persevere, just so I can look back and say "yes, I did write a feature-length novel in my life. It sold precisely four copies, but I'm chuffed with the achievement of writing it." I also recently submitted a short story to a writing competition, and I've got the early brainwaves for another four or five novels to write in the future.

I'm just posting here mainly so that I can revisit this thread easily, if there's any other useful advice added.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. I would post the Amazon link, but I don't know how to do it and include the NSC affiliate details, so out of respect to Bozza I won't. (Also it's eleven years old now).

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I had an idea for a novel several years ago. Then I plucked up the 'courage' to write a screenplay based on that plot. Borrowed self-help books on screenplay writing from the library and browsed forums for advice. Sent off my finished draft to some screenwriting bigwig in Chicago and he...panned it. Tore it to shreds, and like an embarrassed little snowflake I gave up, threw it away and never looked at it again...

Until twelve months ago, when I started to feel a bit glum about my current line of work. I work in science, but I am naturally a very creative person. I started rewriting that screenplay, but as a novel. I'm now re-reading my second draft. I plan on getting my landlord to read it himself, although I'm terrified of criticism. It's like my baby, it means so much to me and I genuinely worry about it getting ripped apart. But I'll persevere, just so I can look back and say "yes, I did write a feature-length novel in my life. It sold precisely four copies, but I'm chuffed with the achievement of writing it." I also recently submitted a short story to a writing competition, and I've got the early brainwaves for another four or five novels to write in the future.

I'm just posting here mainly so that I can revisit this thread easily, if there's any other useful advice added.

Good luck. Even if its crap, its subjective and an achievement

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know we have some artistic types and grammar police on here so I thought this may be a good place to ask.

Have you written or co-written or work in this industry?

I have been approached regarding my knowledge in a subject by an author and I am unsure of what to do and need some advice, can I charge them? How much?

Do I open this up to more authors, do I need Glenn Murray's agent!

Any help appreciated.

I have written (or co-authored) several. In my experience an author gets ten percent (or their share thereof) of sales. This is standard for text book types things with sales of a few thousand a year. If you're famous and likely to sell more you can start negociating upwards but I am not sure by how much. :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here