Votes: 44 42.3%
  • Knee jerk bedwetting of epic proportions

Votes: 60 57.7%

• Total voters

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Why do we accept the away form is acceptable? It's not, it's a joke. What was that performance today? Was that any better than the various losing performances from this and last season? Why don't we show any ambition or game plan away from home? We accept defeat as inevitable and hope that we might make something happen, or that our opposition will be so bad that they can't take advantage of how disinterested we are.

We played with no purpose, no identity, no desire and no intensity today. And that was before the red card. Even with 10 men, we should have had enough to beat Cardiff (R) who are, let's be honest, absolutely pathetic. It's appalling that we've added losing to this season's joke club to last season when we managed to be the only team to lose to Alan Pardew's West Brom shambles. Pathetic.

Yes, we're 12th. Yes, we're well placed. But have we progressed? No. We're still uncompetitive in 50% of our fixtures and that's totally unacceptable. If Chris Hughton, a man we all respect and admire for the job he's done, can't progress this squad further than he already has then perhaps it's time to review the situation and start thinking about who is next. I'm not saying sack him and I don't think there's any chance of it happening. But it should be clear to him that we're not a club who wants to sit on its hands and merely plod along. We want to progress, develop and improve. If the end of the season comes around and we haven't made more of an effort in away games and shown more of a purpose to our play then I think it's time we look to bring in someone who can help us to progress.

a passing coach and a putting the ball in the net coach........these international breaks are a load of old arse as well .

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Fans have the right to be pi**ed off after that. Playing 6 defenders against the worst side in the division. I really admire those who spend a whole day and their hard earned going to away games and watching that kind of hyper defensive dross served up as entertainment.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Two sides who have bottom six budgets in the division play a scrappy match which is settled by a controversial goal. Hacked off with the result? Yes. Particularly surprised about it? Not really given where we and Cardiff are in the pecking order in this division.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Disquiet? No as I think the ref’s decisions robbed us of a point, I didn’t expect more before a ball was kicked. A point away is always good enough for CH and he sets us up not to lose. What I am really worried about is that we are playing more like the away team in home games now. There is minimal entertainment on offer and I do question whether CH has reached his ceiling. Of course we will stick with him but I don’t expect us to do any better than survive and we won’t be entertained on the way which to me, is quite depressing.

We are in the best place that we have been for decades and that in the grand scheme of things is all that matters.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
There is minimal entertainment on offer and I do question whether CH has reached his ceiling. Of course we will stick with him but I don’t expect us to do any better than survive and we won’t be entertained on the way which to me, is quite depressing.

We are in the best place that we have been for decades and that in the grand scheme of things is all that matters.

It's important to be in the Premier League from a financial point of view, but the majority of fans go to be entertained as you have noted. It's only our second season and we can't expect to be pulling up trees, but apathy seems to be spreading throughout the squad, is it management style or are certain players realising they are not up to the standards required. I think it's a combination of the two factors.

It appears the minimum requirement for Chris is to finish no lower than 17th, if achieved. job done. But current turgid performances / playing style are mostly boring the pants off the paying supporter.

So in a nutshell, Chris is out of his depth and is incapable of coaching/motivating players to improve year on year, or, the squad is severely lacking in 'quality' needed for Premier League football.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is it a case of CH reaching his ceiling or a case of the club as an entity within the football pecking order. Tony Bloom has spent £300 million of his hard earned taking the Albion from the bottom of League One at Withdean to presently 12th in the Premier League. He probably feels that the clubs should be self financing at this level and as such pragmatism overrides taking risks on the pitch.

In the Championship we had a competitive budget in terms of being able to invest in the squad thanks to Tony's benevolence and consequently had three playoff places and an automatic promotion in six years in that division.

In the Premier League we are less money than most as a result of stadium size, commercial contracts and sponsorship, and this is reflected in how the club competes in the transfer market. We were missing two of our most influential players and simply don't at this stage of our history in this division have the resources to replace them with players as good.

Yesterday's team included a left back signed on a free from Wigan, a midfield pairing from Celtic Reserves and Charlton, a second striker from Lewes and a 35 year old leading the line. The result was disappointing, but IMO we were the better team until the red card, defended well and counter attacked with promise in the last 10-15 minutes.

Cardiff, whilst favourites for relegation, are going to win some matches this season, and yesterday proved to be one of them, they had a couple of lucky breaks and made the most of it. They still had £10 million signings to come off the bench and influence the result, as well as some refereeing which went against us, as it will go for us at other times during the season.

Personally I loved the matches against West Ham and Wolves where we defended heroically and won both 1-0, just as much as I enjoyed the victory against Manchester United. All three of those sides had either greater resources than us and in the case of two of them far more PL experience than the Albion but we achieved victories. That didn't make us world beaters no more than defeat yesterday made us 'pathetic' in the eyes of some.

I think yesterday's result does open up a debate as to where realistically we should set our ambitions in this division. Being an old codger who watched us 1979-83 there are parallels in terms of the expectations of fans versus the econcomic realities of competing in a division where mistakes are ruthlessly exploited, as we have seen at Anfield, at home to Spurs and the Etihad.

Fulham are playing an 'attack, attack, attack' style of football in this division and are backed to the hilt by their owner, and look where they presently lie in this division. If that's what people want then that should be communicated to the club, but those advocating such an approach should also have a plan for how the £15-20 million a year losses that are the norm in the Championship are going to be financed too, as it's unfair to expect TB to continue to bankroll such an indulgence.

We will be relegated from this division in due course, there's a certain inevitabilty about it, but until then I'm loving every minute as it won't last forever. Whether that is after two years or four or ten, the idea of hosting some great clubs, travelling to iconic stadia and getting one over on the footballing establishment now and then are moments to savour, and getting turned over at the likes of West Brom, Huddersfield and Cardiff are part of the price to pay.

Whatever happens Chris Hughton is not the problem, as if you want an alternative he would have to be better, not just different, as the likes of Allardyce, Hughes, Pulis and Pardew are not going to turn us into world beaters playing silky football either.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I thought a few ales and a good nights sleep would be a fix, but I'm just as angry and pissed off this morning.

I'm off to stand in the wind and rain In the shithole that is Hollingbury and watch my son and a load of u14's play, its guaranteed to be better than yesterday's game.

Currently supporting the Albion is painful. A massive waste of time and money, but we don't matter as the PL is too much of a cash cow.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Justified gripes or knee jerk reactions? It is, as ever, more complex and nuanced than that. Of course there are people who are lashing out in anger at the loss, there are also justified gripes, some that maybe could be handled differently, some that are gripes that people don't actually expect to change, they just want to note it, like an annoyance in an otherwise great film - the film has been made and there isn't really any changing it, and you generally are happy with the film, but that one scene...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Currently supporting the Albion is painful. A massive waste of time and money, but we don't matter as the PL is too much of a cash cow.

In this calendar year we've beaten Manchester United and West Ham twice, and Arsenal once. If it's a massive waste of time and money for you, then perhaps Tony Bloom was the worst thing to happen to this club as it was his money that has brought us to the Premier League, where perhaps we shouldn't be?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
like an annoyance in an otherwise great film - the film has been made and there isn't really any changing it, and you generally are happy with the film, but that one scene...

I have many movies in my private collection where I feel similarly minded.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I thought a few ales and a good nights sleep would be a fix, but I'm just as angry and pissed off this morning.

I'm off to stand in the wind and rain In the shithole that is Hollingbury and watch my son and a load of u14's play, its guaranteed to be better than yesterday's game.

:facepalm:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We played for 55 minutes with 10 men and they only just beat us.......

With an offside goal.
Football is always going to throw up ridiculous results like that.
I can remember similar moans & whinges when West Brom beat us last season.

Fickle fans blame the manager. It was ever thus.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
With an offside goal.
Football is always going to throw up ridiculous results like that.
I can remember similar moans & whinges when West Brom beat us last season.

Fickle fans blame the manager. It was ever thus.

hello....i don't blame the manager for our failure to be able to hold onto the ball and or string more than 4 or 5 passes together , march , knock, izzy, stephens and kayal , are all guilty of giving possession away with ridiculous frequency.......needs addressing.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
hello....i don't blame the manager for our failure to be able to hold onto the ball and or string more than 4 or 5 passes together , march , knock, izzy, stephens and kayal , are all guilty of giving possession away with ridiculous frequency.......needs addressing.

Quite.
We indulged these players in the Championship because we were generally winning and their inaccuracy was excused. At this level, it is exposed. Knocky is far and away the worst offender but gets a free ride from many fans. The others mentioned are also culpable and we have to face facts that they are not going to improve. Over a period of time, we have to replace these players with those who can exec ute to a more accurate level. As our ability to play quick, simple, accurate football improves, so will our chances of prolonging our stay in the PL.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Our pass completion rate is one of the lowest, if not the lowest, in the division. Has to get better

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here