Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If you want to play this card....I’ll point out it wasn’t a legally binding and was merely guidance to the government at the time. That government is long gone....no one has any legal obligation to it now.

This has been done to death but just to remind you the then government said they would enact the result ... parliament voted by a huge majority to enact the result ... we also had a general election where both main parties committed to enact the result in their manifestos ... including the current government. The democratic and moral obligation to honour the outcome is overwhelming.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
This has been done to death but just to remind you the then government said they would enact the result ... parliament voted by a huge majority to enact the result ... we also had a general election where both main parties committed to enact the result in their manifestos ... including the current government. The democratic and moral obligation to honour the outcome is overwhelming.

It is. The democratic process is also still ongoing, it never stops, it wouldn't be democratic if it did. The democratic process may play out whereby it is democratically found that the democratic and moral obligation is that we don't leave the EU. I don't see why that is so hard to grasp. :facepalm:

I think you, and others, do grasp it though. You just like to pertain a faux high horse stance that you can only be democratic if you agree that we should leave the EU at all costs, and use that as a platform to beat down the dirty remainers who even suggest something different. Which is obviously a big steaming pile of dog turd of an argument :tosser:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If you want to play this card....I’ll point out it wasn’t a legally binding and was merely guidance to the government at the time. That government is long gone....no one has any legal obligation to it now.
Hilarious that these people feel so strongly about Democracy and insist it must be " Honoured " despite the fact we are driving headlong in to a brick wall.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You make an offer on a house, and it is accepted. You then do a search and have surveys done, and realise there is massive subsidence, the drains are blocked, it has rising damp and dry rot.
You honour the deal?

No, of course not. Ministers are resigning, and cannot even agree amongst themselves what they want.
Article 50 should not have been activated until the government had decided what plan they were going for.
Then they have the stupidity and cheek to blame the EU.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You make an offer on a house, and it is accepted. You then do a search and have surveys done, and realise there is massive subsidence, the drains are blocked, it has rising damp and dry rot.
You honour the deal?

No, of course not. Ministers are resigning, and cannot even agree amongst themselves what they want.
Article 50 should not have been activated until the government had decided what plan they were going for.
Then they have the stupidity and cheek to blame the EU.

But you've got to exchange of contracts ( like the Wothdrawl Agreement ) and then you decide to back out ...... so you lose your deposit.

Regardless, it's a crap analogy as you don't have millions of people agreeing to the original plan to buy the house.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Aaaaand Jo Johnson quits as Transport Minister.

This whole ****ing mess has paralysed this country. ****ing Tories.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Aaaaand Jo Johnson quits as Transport Minister.

This whole ****ing mess has paralysed this country. ****ing Tories.

[tweet]1060921616937443328[/tweet]

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
But you've got to exchange of contracts ( like the Wothdrawl Agreement ) and then you decide to back out ...... so you lose your deposit.

Regardless, it's a crap analogy as you don't have millions of people agreeing to the original plan to buy the house.

or many many millions voting against it either????

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It is. The democratic process is also still ongoing, it never stops, it wouldn't be democratic if it did. The democratic process may play out whereby it is democratically found that the democratic and moral obligation is that we don't leave the EU. I don't see why that is so hard to grasp. :facepalm:

I think you, and others, do grasp it though. You just like to pertain a faux high horse stance that you can only be democratic if you agree that we should leave the EU at all costs, and use that as a platform to beat down the dirty remainers who even suggest something different. Which is obviously a big steaming pile of dog turd of an argument :tosser:

Democratic results are enacted in this country (for very good reasons) ... only a very special type of precious :wanker: would argue this long standing UK tradition should suddenly stop because they didn't get their way.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Democratic results are enacted in this country (for very good reasons) ... only a very special type of precious :wanker: would argue this long standing UK tradition should suddenly stop because they didn't get their way.

How many cases have there been where the time between the vote and the actual implementation have been so great? How many instances where what was voted for and what will happen are so different? How many cases where most probably the population would vote the opposite given a new vote based on both the political and demographic changes?

What tradition deals with that?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

"Is it more democratic to rely on a three year old vote based on what an idealised Brexit might offer, or to have a vote based on what we know it does actually entail?"

Not my words footy genius, but Jo Johnson - https://medium.com/@JoJohnsonUK/why...governments-proposed-brexit-deal-3d289f95f2bc

'To present the nation with a choice between two deeply unattractive outcomes, vassalage and chaos, is a failure of British statecraft on a scale unseen since the Suez crisis.'

'Certainly, I know from my own work at the Department of Transport the potential chaos that will follow a “no deal” Brexit. It will cause disruption, delay and deep damage to our economy. There are real questions about how we will be able to guarantee access to fresh food and medicine if the crucial Dover-Calais trade route is clogged up. The government may have to take control of prioritising which lorries and which goods are allowed in and out of the country, an extraordinary and surely unworkable intervention for a government in an advanced capitalist economy. The prospect of Kent becoming the Lorry Park of England is very real in a no deal scenario.'

"Britain stands on the brink of the greatest crisis since the Second World War. My loyalty to my party is undimmed. I have never rebelled on any issue before now. But my duty to my constituents and our great nation has forced me to act."

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Hilarious that these people feel so strongly about Democracy and insist it must be " Honoured " despite the fact we are driving headlong in to a brick wall.

Fortunately, many people believe honouring the outcome of democratic elections and commitments made in manifestos is no laughing matter including large numbers of remainers. Remoaners/ undemocratic loons obviously have little respect for these democratic norms which is probably why they are such big fans of the EU.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here