Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you consider eating human meat if it could be ethically sourced?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Perhaps something along the lines of a doner scheme. It would give a whole new meaning to the doner kebab, or should that be a doner doner kebab to distinguish it from the doner shish kebab.

You could also have a takeaway doner curry or doner chinese all of which would be ethically sourced and more importantly fully consensual, which isn't the case with the meat we currently eat.

The scheme might even attract some vegetarians back into the meat eating fray, at least those who abstain for reasons concerning animal welfare, as this would no longer be an issue providing they restricted their meat consumption to doner provided meat.

The advantages are it would reduce landfill, offering an alternative to burial. And compared to cremation it would leave a much smaller carbon footprint as cooking times would be significantly reduced. So the option of Consumption over Burial or Cremation would have significant environmental benefits. Added to which would be the reduced need for the slaughter of non consenting animals. The idea certainly has its benefits.

Are there any circumstances which would lead you to transgress the ultimate taboo. Would you if it was a question of survival similar to the Andes plane crash of flight 571 in 1972.

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
Corrr, this was not a question I was expecting to think about on a Tuesday morning.

If I was in a plane crash, akin to what you say, I think I'd have to evaluate the situation.

But in answer to your question, no I do not fancy a late night human leg kebab, you loon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just so long as they are vegans.

I hate it when my food repeats on me.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Whilst I imagine the ethical considerations would be insurmountable there are considerable health implications of eating meat from the same species that we would also need to overcome.

Eating beef, pork, lamb etc is relatively safe because if the slaughtered animal were ill the disease would have to impact both species (BSE being an example of where it can happen), eating human meat would mean we were susceptible to everything the donor had.

The risks would be too great for "natural" meat.
If however you could create synthetic meat based on the make up of human meat then it might be a goer.

Personally though... don't like pork, so I'll pass.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Perhaps something along the lines of a doner scheme. It would give a whole new meaning to the doner kebab, or should that be a doner doner kebab to distinguish it from the doner shish kebab.

You could also have a takeaway doner curry or doner chinese all of which would be ethically sourced and more importantly fully consensual, which isn't the case with the meat we currently eat.

The scheme might even attract some vegetarians back into the meat eating fray, at least those who abstain for reasons concerning animal welfare, as this would no longer be an issue providing they restricted their meat consumption to doner provided meat.

The advantages are it would reduce landfill, offering an alternative to burial. And compared to cremation it would leave a much smaller carbon footprint as cooking times would be significantly reduced. So the option of Consumption over Burial or Cremation would have significant environmental benefits. Added to which would be the reduced need for the slaughter of non consenting animals. The idea certainly has its benefits.

Are there any circumstances which would lead you to transgress the ultimate taboo. Would you if it was a question of survival similar to the Andes plane crash of flight 571 in 1972.

youre a weirdo

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

And compared to cremation it would leave a much smaller carbon footprint as cooking times would be significantly reduced.

Top thread!

If I was going to eat granny though, I'd want her well done, regardless of the carbon footprint.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Soylent Green. Fifty years from now we'll be eating that or grubs.

A meal substitute production company in America thought it was a good idea to call their company "Soylent". They produced a snack bar which made people ill (not intentionally) which they've since discontinued. The company are still going though. Their meal replacement drink was launched in the UK only last month.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-45546275

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/mashable.com/2017/04/26/soylent-green-soylent-recall.amp

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Donor doner kebab.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
question is poorly framed and illogical, the ethics of eating human has precedence over how it is sourced.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
As much as I enjoy eating human flesh, I think if it was ethically sourced it would take all the fun out of it. The screaming beforehand is the best bit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here