Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Air raid siren. Worthing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We’re all still living here in East Worthing.

Well, if you can call this living.
Can you tell whether or not it's been destroyed?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It was called WB1400, look it up.

I had a call at work one day “are you responsible for WB1400 repairs for Portsmouth area?”
“Yes” says I
“Can you get someone to Newport town hall ASAP, the siren's been going off since 6AM”

Mass panic on the island over that one.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That was the hospital dinner bell .

That’s just reminded me of something Tay. I worked at St Francis on a few contracts many years ago and although we only mixed with some of the less unfortunate patients it was a regular daily occurrence that 2 or 3 of them would scream hysterically when a bell went off around midday. I remember asking a nurse if that signalled some sort of horrible therapy time or maybe EST but no I was informed that it was only the lunch bell. Although we could, we declined dining in there.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I recall from my dim and distant youth in Worthing that there's an early warning system of some kind near Broadwater Green and there's a bunker underneath the Green. My guess is wherever it's coming from that the top secret Southwick Tunnel underground silos are involved.

I remember something about this, a large WW2 bunker under the green?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
That’s just reminded me of something Tay. I worked at St Francis on a few contracts many years ago and although we only mixed with some of the less unfortunate patients it was a regular daily occurrence that 2 or 3 of them would scream hysterically when a bell went off around midday. I remember asking a nurse if that signalled some sort of horrible therapy time or maybe EST but no I was informed that it was only the lunch bell. Although we could, we declined dining in there.

You Worthing boys are so fussy .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What is the point of an early warning system? Seems cruel telling people they've got 15 minutes before they are going to fry. Why not let people live their last few moments out blissfully unaware.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Used to go to school by Worcester porcelain and had a German exchange teacher. There was a big box of head phones in the class room. They had a siren go off for lunch (weird I know)

So when it went off we'd quickly all put on a pair of head phones and hide under the desks telling the teacher it was earthquake warning. She joined in 3 or 4 times bless her. She was crap with names too so we had to write them on a folded up bit of cardboard for her. I was Gary Lineker sitting next to Jon Bon Jovi sitting next to Axl Rose. Every lesson we would swap names with someone in the class. Poor lady

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
What is the point of an early warning system? Seems cruel telling people they've got 15 minutes before they are going to fry. Why not let people live their last few moments out blissfully unaware.

If you were given notice of 15 mins to live, would you do anything different or carry on as you were? Imagine being at work ....
And if you did get 15 mins notice, would you be thankful for the opportunity?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here