Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The next forward

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Second striker role.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4197254.stm

This used to be occupied by Ashley Barnes in a hard working role. No reflection on Barnes, but I have always preferred the trickier play with guile rather than outright pace. The wide man should have pace. Instead of the second striker coming back to defend corners against advancing central defenders I prefer one of the midfielders to do this job.

Winger with pace: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4197228.stm

Although he never really well against the Albion, David Nugent well for Leicester in this role.

Second striker can play in 4-4-1-1 and 4-3-3 (with a winger). Does not fit so neatly in 4-2-3-1 (no licence to roam in a rigid system).

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I prefer a small quick man to be left up or 2 if you have them thus the opponents will leave 3 back so less up front against us, less congestion in the box and more chance to clar the ball. Bring your big man back for set pieces. In our case leave Baldock and Lue Lua or March up in the centre circle as neither wiould win a header any way.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
If we get Zamora (not convinced we will) he'll know that he's only back up to Hemed, will he be happy with that?

If he does sign then COG will be allowed to go back north. We'll then need to get another nippy striker to replace Colunga. Unless there's a change of heart by CH then he's as good as gone.

So either someone permanent or what makes more sense to get a hungry young Prem striker in to compete with Baldock.

So ideally I'd go with Hemed, Zamora, Baldock and a young prem striker.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I prefer a small quick man to be left up or 2 if you have them thus the opponents will leave 3 back so less up front against us, less congestion in the box and more chance to clar the ball. Bring your big man back for set pieces. In our case leave Baldock and Lue Lua or March up in the centre circle as neither wiould win a header any way.

I wouldn't underestimate the height that Lua Lua can jump. A couple of seasons back from a static position his boots from ground clearance was the best in the club.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can't see Hemed and BZ playing together. Can't see BZ agreeing to come and warm the bench. Can't imagine that we've signed Hemed to warm the bench.

Put that all together and I don't think BZ will come to us, much as he is loved by us Albion fans.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Well if Clunge & COG are off, that's a minimum of two strikers needed. I haven't seen another 'Fenelon' ready to make the step up from our young boys. So, those who are advocating a Premier League future star are of the right view. But it would be amazing to add some real experience up top too. [MENTION=7321]casbom[/MENTION] has the perfect solution I believe.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Is there a 26 year old second striker with extensive Premiership experience (like Nugent) when he signed for Leicester? Like on the fringes (in and out of the side) of first team football with a lower PL side or relegated team? Doubtful. (PS: I would prefer Zaha to Dwight Gale!)

Sammy Ameobi might qualify? Not really the type player envisaged.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I wouldn't underestimate the height that Lua Lua can jump. A couple of seasons back from a static position his boots from ground clearance was the best in the club.

I always thought that Lualua had the potential to play the role of second striker, but he does not do much running off the ball. I don't think he can run to the near post for an option that has never been on for since I can remember.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Vydra please, assuming Watford don't make the move permenant (unlikely, but one can dream). The Pozzo family shouldn't have a problem letting us have him now that we are no longer in the same division as them.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Is there a 26 year old second striker with extensive Premiership experience (like Nugent) when he signed for Leicester? Like on the fringes (in and out of the side) of first team football with a lower PL side or relegated team? Doubtful. (PS: I would prefer Zaha to Dwight Gale!)

Sammy Ameobi might qualify? Not really the type player envisaged.

Marvin Emnes? Both Victor Anichebe and Yannick Sagbo match most also, but again probably not the type envisaged.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Kazenga-LuaLua-008.jpg

You're not wrong.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
BZ is now well past his best he WAS class but not for long enough periods now. Nicky Maynard is quicker , younger, less injury prone and an established Championship player.and IMHO offers a better option. People want BZ purely for nostalgia nd expectation of repeating his previous spell with us not based on his current ability.
Zamora is a game changer at this level can hold the ball up well and bring others into play plus score a few himself. Of course we are not getting a 19 year old Bobby back we would be signing his vast experience he has gained since he was last with us.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
given the signings so far and the clubs apparent pleasure at keeping its targets under wraps, i think it will be someone from left field that we haven't speculated about - not that there is much speculation - except Zamora. woeful lack of decent rumours in this window,

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
This guy is available FOR FREE...

Kamil Wilczek, 27 years old, Polish Ekstraklasa top goalscorer last season (20 goals), got the Player of the Season and Striker of the Season awards a couple of weeks ago...

... currently available on free transfer--I hope people responsible for transfers in Albion are reading this thread :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamil_Wilczek

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
This guy is available FOR FREE...

Kamil Wilczek, 27 years old, Polish Ekstraklasa top goalscorer last season (20 goals), got the Player of the Season and Striker of the Season awards a couple of weeks ago...

... currently available on free transfer--I hope people responsible for transfers in Albion are reading this thread :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamil_Wilczek

Worth a look. Very one footed, he looks to come on his left side continually. Decent in the air though.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Worth a look. Very one footed, he looks to come on his left side continually. Decent in the air though.

Wilczek (pron. Veel-check) said on number of occasions that he would love to play in England, and that he is best suited for the fast, dynamic playing style of English football. He was tested by Bolton Wanderers in January (he had 9 goals in Polish top division back then) and was very dissappointed when his hopes of moving to Championship failed. As you said, worth a look (still out of contract and looking for a club, so his wages expectations wouldn't be exorbitant).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here