Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Stokes charged with affray

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm finding it bizarre that the two gay guys, who were at the scene and who Stokes claims to have been just having 'banter' with and later ended up defending, have not given testimony in this case. Can't get me 'ead round that. Were I on that jury, I'd be asking why.

I was thinking the same thing. Surely they are the only ones who could confirm or refute this claim? We know who they are...I've read their names.

Agreed. I was waiting all along for them to be called by either the defence or prosecution. Very, very odd.
Yes, me too. They must have given statements on the night too - did they get mentioned as evidence at all? All very strange.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I'm finding it bizarre that the two gay guys, who were at the scene and who Stokes claims to have been just having 'banter' with and later ended up defending, have not given testimony in this case. Can't get me 'ead round that. Were I on that jury, I'd be asking why.

Eh? Is that true? I haven't really been following the case that closely but I'd have though (obviously wrongly) that their evidence would have been, if not crucial then at least relevant. Also has Hales given evidence?.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I find it odd that both defendants were cleared - there obviously was a pretty nasty fight going on, and presumably somebody must have started it! Pure speculation, but I wonder if the jury were also puzzled by the fact that two of the obvious witnesses were not called to give evidence and decided 'there's something we're not being told here'. Just me, personally, wondering - that's all, nothing more.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
lucky man

It was pretty brutal....but then again I bet you get punch ups like that every week in every town centre and how many do time for it... ?

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
The only thing I can think of was that any statements made on the night to the plod differed widely to what was then said in the papers. Add to this, they were I assume pissed, and I guess both defence and prosecution feared any evidence they gave would be torn to shreds and of no benifit to either side. Does seem a bit odd though as the whole thing seemed to revolve around them.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Not guilty, and he was as short as 1/5 on the exchanges to be found guilty!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I find it odd that both defendants were cleared - there obviously was a pretty nasty fight going on, and presumably somebody must have started it! Pure speculation, but I wonder if the jury were also puzzled by the fact that two of the obvious witnesses were not called to give evidence and decided 'there's something we're not being told here'. Just me, personally, wondering - that's all, nothing more.

I'm guessing that both would be cleared on the basis that the 'self defence' argument cannot be proved either way. If it cannot be proved either way then I guess the affray charge falls down too.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Available Saturday then

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here