Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Massive in meltdown

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Tom Lees? 27 years old. Better than Burn in my opinion, and probably as good as O'Connell (who is massively overhyped and overvalued from what I've seen of him).

Good shout.

As has been said, this all just emphasises how important it was to get promoted when we did. It's bandit country out there in the EFL ...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'll be honest, I'm struggling here.

Should I be laughing at Massive, ***** Boro or the Toon first?
Boro first, then it's a toss-up.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Quote from Owlstalk

Get the maximum 5 loans in, 2 replacements for those guys then a LB, RB and CB and I think we'd be fine.

So that is 5+2+3=10... I think they'll be fine :lolol:

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
Tom Lees? 27 years old. Better than Burn in my opinion, and probably as good as O'Connell (who is massively overhyped and overvalued from what I've seen of him).

Don’t rate him at all from performances against us in 16/17. If he was ever going to be Premier League quality, he’d already be there at age 27.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Will never forget the pre-season after they beat us in the Playoffs. Their forum had a thread dedicated to which BHA players they should cherry pick from us, since we were obviously just a flash in the pan/one season wonder. They even had the cheek to say certain players of ours would not be good enough for them (Bruno if I remember correctly).

Seeing them capitulate now is beyond funny.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I see that Meire says that it's impossible to be competitive as they're up against teams with £90m parachute payments - it's funny that four of the last six teams to get promoted from the Championship didn't have any parachute payments. That's a really lame excuse

I'd actually forgotten she'd gone there. Therefore, Sheffield Wednesday's decline is as funny as it is tragically predictable.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This could rule Wednesday out of contention for the Prem for a decade. If they are lucky they'll tread water like Ipswich and Forest, but with Wigan and Blackburn coming up and looking capable of survival then Massive could be faced with a relegation dogfight alongside neighbours Rotherham.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Tom Lees is a very average Championship defender. Rather like Dan Burn in fact.
Neither are remotely good enough to challenge for us.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
Will never forget the pre-season after they beat us in the Playoffs. Their forum had a thread dedicated to which BHA players they should cherry pick from us, since we were obviously just a flash in the pan/one season wonder. They even had the cheek to say certain players of ours would not be good enough for them (Bruno if I remember correctly).

The owner certainly poured a lot of money into the kitty in that transfer window, so I'm not surprised they thought they could have the pick of the Championship's best. Unfortunately for them, he's just a rich daddy's boy with little business or football knowledge, and they ended up buying a load of overpaid crap in the summer window and then threw good money after bad by buying Rhodes in January. This is what happens when you get an outsider in who thinks that promotion is acheived simply by throwing money around. They could've done some serious damage if they had someone in charge of recruitment with even half the nous of Winstanley. As it is, they've now got a crippling wage bill from a squad of aging players with no re-sale value, which will probably see them with FFP problems.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The owner certainly poured a lot of money into the kitty in that transfer window, so I'm not surprised they thought they could have the pick of the Championship's best. Unfortunately for them, he's just a rich daddy's boy with little business or football knowledge, and they ended up buying a load of overpaid crap in the summer window and then threw good money after bad by buying Rhodes in January. This is what happens when you get an outsider in who thinks that promotion is acheived simply by throwing money around. They could've done some serious damage if they had someone in charge of recruitment with even half the nous of Winstanley. As it is, they've now got a crippling wage bill from a squad of aging players with no re-sale value, which will probably see them with FFP problems.
Spot on. They are paying HUGE wages as well. A blueprint of how not to run a football club. That playoff final they lost to Hull was one of the most stressful games I've watched as I would never have heard the last of it if they'd got promoted.

As it is, happy days.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
Spot on. They are paying HUGE wages as well. A blueprint of how not to run a football club. That playoff final they lost to Hull was one of the most stressful games I've watched as I would never have heard the last of it if they'd got promoted.

As it is, happy days.
My memory of that final was that there was never any danger of them winning. Hull probably couldn't believe their luck that we'd not made it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
My memory of that final was that there was never any danger of them winning. Hull probably couldn't believe their luck that we'd not made it.
They were shocking but all the time it was 0-0 it was still worrying!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

As it is, happy days.

Their 2016/17 accounts:
Income £23m

Payroll costs £29m
Other costs £15m

= Loss of £21m

(A squad cost of £25m).

Chansiri rolled the die, but lacking TB's football business acumen, bought a pile of expensive dross and blew it. :lolol::lolol:

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
They were shocking but all the time it was 0-0 it was still worrying!

True, and with the MASSIVE luck they had against us playing against 10 men in the first leg and with our top 4 scorers out injured or suspended for both legs of the semi, not to mention the equaliser at the Amex that should've been dissallowed, you wouldn't have ruled out a dodgy penalty or flukey deflection getting them promoted.

Getting to that final may well have done them more harm than good, as the owner possibly didn't realise how much luck they'd needed to beat a team they finished 15 points behind in the league.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Threads like this make lovely reading a couple of years on :)

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/243858-brighton-though/

and this one

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/241770-brighton-fans/?tab=comments#comment-6738922

Sample quotes :

They will struggle next season. Very confident we will finish higher.

The most tinpot of tinpot teams
They are the reason the word tinpot was invented
No matter how much they expand their sea world shamu stadium
Or how many plastic flags they force fans to wave pre match
They will always be little Brighton
A championship club at best

Won't be an issue next year they will be no where near same end of table as us. They have blew their opportunity and they know it hence the synchronised flounce

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think after the play-off disappointment I avoided most footy talk over the summer and missed their arrogance.

Agreed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here