Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liam Moore

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Interestingly no one has mentioned the loan market. Last season we were linked to Joe Gomez but he chose to stay and fight for his place and had a pretty good season until he got injured and I think he may find it tough to get back in the team with the arrival of VVD and the emergence of Trent Arnold.

And now that Dejan Lovren has reinvented himself as the best centre back in the WORLD!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Apart from the keepers, this summers singings have been bought to compete to start, so doubt we're just going to buy some clodhopper centre half who wont even make the bench.

There is absolutely no point signing a short term option anyway. Why would we? We are in the promised land now, and have serious money to spend.

In any case, who in their right mind, if they have any ambition and any talent, would want to sign for a club where it was confirmed that they would only ever be 3rd or 4th choice?

Ok, so occasionally in the past, more than occasionally probably, we have taken that route, sometimes it has worked out for a short length of time, but more often than not it hasn't.

I'm sure that everyone who signs for the club, and is assigned a first team squad number, gets told that they are here to fight for a starting place and that's just the way it should be.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
There is a lot to be said for BG's train of thought.

Look at the fees we are paying for our forwards They are all around the £15m - £18m price range. Historically defenders sell for less than forwards, so I can't see us paying the same for a defender as we are paying for a forward.

If this guy is on our radar, I honestly can't see him being on our radar at that sort of price.

If you look at the top 20 transfers in the PL so far only two are forwards - Richarlison and Mahrez, seven are defenders and the top fee was paid for a goalie! The world has changed, people are paying big money for defenders.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Baloigun is the obvious competition for Dunk and Duffy so are you saying we need competition for him plus Dunk & Duffy or just cover. I think it is the latter

maybe CH would like the flexability to experiment with 3 at the back like he did last season?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
My fear is that the club are preparing for that deadline day 'offer that can't be refused' for one of our star defenders.

Not only will we have a replacement available but we'll avoid the Saints/Van Dyke situation where clubs knew they had money so upped the selling price.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Interestingly no one has mentioned the loan market. Last season we were linked to Joe Gomez but he chose to stay and fight for his place and had a pretty good season until he got injured and I think he may find it tough to get back in the team with the arrival of VVD and the emergence of Trent Arnold.
The problem with this is that the loaner club will want a reasonable expectation he will play. "Instead of being Liverpool's 4th choice CB/RB come and be Brighton's" probably isn't the easiest sell.

I can, however, see us selling Baldock + Hemed and getting a young #10 in to compete with Gross...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My fear is that the club are preparing for that deadline day 'offer that can't be refused' for one of our star defenders.

Not only will we have a replacement available but we'll avoid the Saints/Van Dyke situation where clubs knew they had money so upped the selling price.

I've been thinking this as well - it's all gone too well so far in terms of the 'ins', with virtually no recent noise in terms of offers being made for any of our first-choice players. Wouldn't be surprised if we get late attempts at prising the likes of Dunk, Ryan, Stephens or Gross away towards the end of the window. I suspect there have been enquiries already, which the club have met with a very firm '**** off' but if a player's head gets turned it'll be more difficult. Hence getting the 4th CB is important - would judge Dunk the most likely to get poached.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

I was actually thinking the same. If Harry Maguire does move to Manchester United and Leicester came in with a blockbuster offer for Lewis Dunk, how much could we decline before we thought it was worth selling?
£50m/£60m/£70m/£80m?
If they offered to double his wages and Lewis decided he was happy to move, there must be a transfer fee that would trigger it.

After the Richarlison transfer I can't begin to imagine how much Maguire could go for. I would think we could agree to release Dunk for about £10m less than Maguire goes for. (my guess £60m for Dunk).

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
All this continued talk of Moore makes me worried for the future of Dunk. It is not hard to get a decent 3rd / 4th choice centre back at a value price for a club like us. At £15 mill Moore is the sort of player we might look to sign to replace Dunk.

Precisely my thoughts. Learn from him now and take over for him eventually.
But that's a good thing: Lewis will go sooner or later. Best to be prepared.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was actually thinking the same. If Harry Maguire does move to Manchester United and Leicester came in with a blockbuster offer for Lewis Dunk, how much could we decline before we thought it was worth selling?
£50m/£60m/£70m/£80m?
If they offered to double his wages and Lewis decided he was happy to move, there must be a transfer fee that would trigger it.

After the Richarlison transfer I can't begin to imagine how much Maguire could go for. I would think we could agree to release Dunk for about £10m less than Maguire goes for. (my guess £60m for Dunk).

That amount would cover every purchase we've made this window, and most of the last one as well.....................

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
There is absolutely no point signing a short term option anyway. Why would we? We are in the promised land now, and have serious money to spend.

In any case, who in their right mind, if they have any ambition and any talent, would want to sign for a club where it was confirmed that they would only ever be 3rd or 4th choice?

Ok, so occasionally in the past, more than occasionally probably, we have taken that route, sometimes it has worked out for a short length of time, but more often than not it hasn't.

I'm sure that everyone who signs for the club, and is assigned a first team squad number, gets told that they are here to fight for a starting place and that's just the way it should be.

Being a Premier League club is a hugely persuasive offer. It's where players want to be. Any prospective CB maybe 3rd or 4th choice but with significantly improved wages, a full, home stadium, opportunities to play at some famous old (and new) iconic grounds, plus huge global exposure, is really something to seriously contemplate, especially if you play for Reading.
Even if you're not going to start or sometimes not even sit on the bench, CH will ensure there'll be opportunities for game time in the cup competitions. Further, we were pretty lucky with injuries last season but may not be again. Duffy’s post-operative fitness is clearly a concern, and we haven’t even kicked a ball in anger yet.
The club will also know that if Dunk has another excellent season, at some point it’s likely that one of the big boys may well make them an offer us they can’t refuse. Albion have a policy of not standing in the way of players who want to move onto to bigger things so part of the thinking around this potential signing might be looking ahead to such a scenario.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You and I are obviously differing on our interpretation of what CH is saying. At no time has he said we NEED a 4th CB what he has said is that in an ideal world he would like one but if that is not possible he is happy with what we have as a squad. That to me indicates that he would like another at the right price but is not desperate to spend big money on such a player at this moment in time perhaps it will be a different situation in January.

Dear BG... the proof of the pudding is in the eating... we have made multiple multi-million-pound bids for Liam Moore, and are also rumored to be interested in JOC of Sheff U @ around £6M (see Argus story)... please also note that CH is very cautious in his recruitment pronouncements, and would NOT want to sound like he is in any way 'doing a Gus', and demanding more player budget of his superiors, which is to be lauded IMHO...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Serious question, do you believe what football managers say in interviews. CH is hardly likely to come out and say "We are desperate for a centre back. We'll pay whatever we need to". He is playing down what he needs both to not make it seem we are desperate to selling clubs and so he can say he is happy if we missed out.

However, we are very keen to sign a centre back and clearly will pay good money for one given the bids for Moore and apparently O'Connell.

Also, your quote from him was said before we signed a winger too and we just broke our club record on signing one of them.

Brillaint :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dear BG... the proof of the pudding is in the eating... we have made multiple multi-million-pound bids for Liam Moore, and are also rumored to be interested in JOC of Sheff U @ around £6M (see Argus story)... please also note that CH is very cautious in his recruitment pronouncements, and would NOT want to sound like he is in any way 'doing a Gus', and demanding more player budget of his superiors, which is to be lauded IMHO...

Where is it stated that we have put in multi million bids for Moore it may have been much the same as JOC of Sheff Utd of £6m hence the rejection by Reading.so the proof of the pudding isnt in the eating in this case.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Where is it stated that we have put in multi million bids for Moore it may have been much the same as JOC of Sheff Utd of £6m hence the rejection by Reading.so the proof of the pudding isnt in the eating in this case.

It is in the public domain BG... with offers made and turned down... please, please get your facts straight...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here