Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jose Izquierdo, Don’t You Dare!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes but our performance was similar IMO.
Well it's easier to perform against a weaker side. I can't remember it that well, but I don't have fond memories of the game against Egypt.

Colombia looked second best yesterday, except for the first half of extra time.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
How comes you've not quoted my post on that same thread where I stated I'd still be happy for England to win the WC?

With your repeated negative comments about England on here, I would presume that was a joke (or at best a back covering exercise if we do win it), a bit like your ramblings straight after the match last night.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
With your repeated negative comments about England on here, I would presume that was a joke (or at best a back covering exercise if we do win it), a bit like your ramblings straight after the match last night.

Look. The only England game I've ever been to was England vs Iceland at the Goldstone. A women's match. I'm not a super passionate England fan. But if I criticise Englands performance drawing with Colombia and narrowly going through on pens, you shouldn't need to take that so far out of context.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well it's easier to perform against a weaker side. I can't remember it that well, but I don't have fond memories of the game against Egypt.

Colombia looked second best yesterday, except for the first half of extra time.

Nor do I.

Thought Colombia took over when Dier came on (?70 mins). Then we reasserted ourselves in the second period of ET.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Sorry, I’m obviously not making my point very well [emoji2].

I thought England were poor and Colombia were worse from a performance perspective, this is nothing to do with rankings or how I rate Colombia, I thought they would be much better offensively, but seemed more intent on being niggly than using their ability.

If you wanted me to rate them, I would say similar to ourselves somewhere between 8 and 15. As per my earlier post the rankings are nonsense, which you appeared to agree with.

All I have said is I would not expect England to lose or struggle against Tunisia and Panama. Did you?

Good teams can cancel each other out, doesn't make them poor. (In the England v Colombia match, both defences cancelled out the attacking games of the other side, however, over the 120 minutes, England were the better side imo.)

How many times do Sky build up a clash of the big teams in the Premier League (say Man U vs Man City or alike) only for it to be a rubbish game with few chances, it doesn't mean that they are poor sides but just on the day they fail to impress yet if either then went onto thrash another team in the league, you can guarantee that they would be criticised because the opposition is deemed to be so inferior and they wouldn't get the credit for their performance that may be deserved (England expected to beat Panama, etc...)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good teams can cancel each other out, doesn't make them poor. (In the England v Colombia match, both defences cancelled out the attacking games of the other side, however, over the 120 minutes, England were the better side imo.)

How many times do Sky build up a clash of the big teams in the Premier League (say Man U vs Man City or alike) only for it to be a rubbish game with few chances, it doesn't mean that they are poor sides but just on the day they fail to impress yet if either then went onto thrash another team in the league, you can guarantee that they would be criticised because the opposition is deemed to be so inferior and they wouldn't get the credit for their performance that may be deserved (England expected to beat Panama, etc...)

Yes I think England were better, and I’ve not said either are a poor side, just poor performance [emoji2].

I do wonder whether Loftus-Cheek would have had more success as he just looks stronger than Alli.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The Swiss have manipulated their ranking by being very selective in their opposition for friendlies, picking teams they know they should beat so that they can collect ranking points and have a false position as a result. We could have done the same thing to give ourselves a higher ranking but chose not to, just as most other countries haven't engineered their ranking position either. Had Colombia done the same thing to give them a false position? - no, they are up there on merit, they play competitive matches against teams like Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru and Uruguay (all decent sides) in order to try to qualify for World Cups, The Swiss had Hungary, Faroe Island, Latvia and Andorra to beat to 2nd (behind Portugal)

They therefore have less chance, because of the qualifying format, to engineer their results to give them the false position in the rankings as a result than the Swiss could (The Swiss have also played friendlies against Belarus, Moldova and Bosnia in the last couple of years to help boost their position)

Their performances this World Cup also suggest that they (Colombia) are a decent team, even against Japan where they were down to 10 men after 3 minutes but where still the better side and deserved something from the game.

I therefore think that their current ranking is a truer reflection of their ability (I don't agree that the Swiss and their ranking are accurate and the same with Tunisia and their ranking)

I would like to know where you actually would place Colombia in the World rankings and how far they would be behind England if you were to decide it for yourself rather than use the FIFA ranking (also where would you put England if the FIFA ones are so worthless?
I don’t know of anyone who takes the rankings too seriously. I was pointing out that Switzerland were in a false position. I think Belgium ,France, Germany and Brazil are the best 4 in the world. I can’t explain what happened to the World champions before you ask.
If we got to the final I still wouldn’t rank England above any of those 4 or a few others either. Hope to be proved wrong of course if we can step up a couple of levels.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Double post

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm in my 30's. I think it's fair to say I've seen England enough times to be allowed an opinion

Again, of course you're allowed an opinion. However I'm baffled as to why you have no sense of perspective when it comes to competitive English performances - especially in knockout football. (Even 'One Teddy Maybank' above can only think of two performances in the last 50 years where we've played well. You can't use those as yardsticks).

Given how shit we've always been traditionally against Sweden that Colombia performance could well be the highlight of our World Cup.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Why do people tag analysing a 1-1 draw critically, over 120 mins, against a poor Colombia side as hate?

We narrowly won on penalties. If we're going to win the WC (which many believe), we're going to need to play better. That's not hate, just avoiding jumping on the 'We're going to win the WC' bandwagon. We've yet to show anything other than beating a terrible Panama team, to suggest we're winning the WC. Last nights performance had many concerns. Let's not forget the majority of this country, at one point last night, thought England were on their way home.

When are we ever going to learn?

Did you not see Portugal win the Euros. Or Greece win the Euros. We don't necessarily have to play better at all.

Besides that , we were very good anyway

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Again, of course you're allowed an opinion. However I'm baffled as to why you have no sense of perspective when it comes to competitive English performances - especially in knockout football. (Even 'One Teddy Maybank' above can only think of two performances in the last 50 years where we've played well. You can't use those as yardsticks).

In my life time, off the top of my head, I can remember us playing well against Scotland (96) Holland (96) Spain (96) Germany (96) Argentina (98) Columbia (98) and Germany (2001)

Not much since though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I dunno why some people are grizzling at Englands performances so far in this World Cup. None of the Quarter-Finalists have been brilliant, IMO.

France plodded through the group looking nothing special whatsoever, but then managed to turn it on against a shambolic Argentina. Croatia have looked good in spells but couldn't beat a bang-average Denmark without going to pens. Brazil look decent enough but couldn't beat a dull Swiss team. Belgium laboured against the Panama pub team and had the fright of their lives against Japan. Russia are just an average team running on adrenaline (or something else). Sweden have bored the tits off me most times I've seen them, as usual they are just solid and well organised but not much else. I do think Uruguay look dangerous because they're solid and also have two superb strikers, if they get past France they will be genuine contenders and have probably been the most consistant performers of the last 8, but even they only scraped past Saudi 1-0.

My point is, NOBODY has ripped up this World Cup to get to this stage. England have done what they needed to do so far, just like everyone else who is left, so making out its some kind of fluke we're in the last 8 is totally wide of the mark IMO. Every team has been good, bad and indifferent at some stage, you rarely get anyone who cruises all the way through to the Final being great in every game. We're no different.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In my life time, off the top of my head, I can remember us playing well against Scotland (96) Holland (96) Spain (96) Germany (96) Argentina (98) Columbia (98) and Germany (2001)

Not much since though.

Given the high standards by which you measure England performances I'm surprised you included the Spain (96) and Germany (2001) games!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Not much since though.

You mean in major tournos - obviously haven’t watched a lot of qualifying games. Also feel you’re missing a fair few like Denmark 2002 etc but never mind. Why are you saying ‘us’ when you’ve said you wanted other countries to beat us and also that you prefer Ireland? I’m confused at your obsession with posting negatively about a team you claim you don’t care about - all very odd. We’ve been a breath of fresh air this tournement - far from perfect but also very very good at the same time for our expectations. The team have connected with a huge majority of the public again and we’ve had a good tourno even if we go out on sat - as many said before 1/4s would be seen as a successs... Just accept we’ve done well at a tourno for once and enjoy it rather than criticising EVERYTHING you can think of. It’s almost like you don’t like the fact we’re doing well?!
Ps - it’s Colombia

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Christ, what a pissy thread. Some proper miserable ******** on here today. Exciting game coming up on Saturday. Who knows? We might even win.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I dunno why some people are grizzling at Englands performances so far in this World Cup. None of the Quarter-Finalists have been brilliant, IMO.

France plodded through the group looking nothing special whatsoever, but then managed to turn it on against a shambolic Argentina. Croatia have looked good in spells but couldn't beat a bang-average Denmark without going to pens. Brazil look decent enough but couldn't beat a dull Swiss team. Belgium laboured against the Panama pub team and had the fright of their lives against Japan. Russia are just an average team running on adrenaline (or something else). Sweden have bored the tits off me most times I've seen them, as usual they are just solid and well organised but not much else. I do think Uruguay look dangerous because they're solid and also have two superb strikers, if they get past France they will be genuine contenders and have probably been the most consistant performers of the last 8, but even they only scraped past Saudi 1-0.

My point is, NOBODY has ripped up this World Cup to get to this stage. England have done what they needed to do so far, just like everyone else who is left, so making out its some kind of fluke we're in the last 8 is totally wide of the mark IMO. Every team has been good, bad and indifferent at some stage, you rarely get anyone who cruises all the way through to the Final being great in every game. We're no different.

Think you are missing the point. Look at the opponents we've beaten. In two of those we made hard work of it. I can see Sweden knocking us out unless we really step it up. Not convinced we can though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Indeed.

Not sure Uruguay STILL have two great strikers though. Cavani is a major doubt for their QF tomorrow, and likely to be replaced with ex-Boro donkey Stuani.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Think you are missing the point. Look at the opponents we've beaten. In two of those we made hard work of it. I can see Sweden knocking us out unless we really step it up. Not convinced we can though.

No, you're missing my point.

Uruguay made very hard work of narrowly beating Saudi Arabia.
Brazil couldn't beat the Swiss, and had to score in injury time to beat Costa Rica
France only just scraped past Australia (thanks to VARS) and bored the whole world shitless against Denmark

I could go on (but I won't). You're making out England are the ONLY team to (apparently) have been poor and laboured against lesser opposition, when we're most certainly not. We've got the job done, something we don't usually see from us in WC's. Everyones had their struggles to get here at some point, we've been no worse IMO. There's more to come from this team though, and hopefully we'll see it on Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here