Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Izzy Brown Go Home

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
But alternatively Icy, are you saying that a 25 minute cameo on Saturday at the start of the second half, should be enough to say he’s a ‘world beater’?

I was underwhelmed when we got him on loan, and after 45 mins Saturday still wondered why he was blocking the progress of Tilley or why March/Izquierdo wasn’t playing.

However, he was brilliant at the start of the second half, so hopefully if he’s given more opportunities he’ll continue to shine.

I remain on the fence.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure Icy was saying he was/is a world beater ..wouldn’t be with us if he were :)
But neither should he have been judged on small cameo roles either...it’s interesting that when he’s finally given a chance to start and shown promise after a mixed start to the game ..people want him dropped for the next

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not sure Icy was saying he was/is a world beater ..wouldn’t be with us if he were :)
But neither should he have been judged on small cameo roles either

Sure, that is fair, I should have used a different phrase.

Yes and quite agree re the 10 mins here and there, but it does work both ways, he was shocking at Arsenal (though out of position).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But alternatively Icy, are you saying that a 25 minute cameo on Saturday at the start of the second half, should be enough to say he’s a ‘world beater’?

I was underwhelmed when we got him on loan, and after 45 mins Saturday still wondered why he was blocking the progress of Tilley or why March/Izquierdo wasn’t playing.

However, he was brilliant at the start of the second half, so hopefully if he’s given more opportunities he’ll continue to shine.

I was surprised by the grief he was getting at half time on the Official Match Thread, TBH I put that down to posters having already made up their minds.

Sure defensively he was pretty much nonexistent at the start, although he was receiving plenty of in game 'coaching' from Bong.
But going forward, what little the Albion did, he seemed to me to be part of it.

I thought Murray's performance was crucial to Izzy.
Now there was a player who I felt in the first half phoned it in (on a land line) but seemed to come out for the second half like a scalded cat, giving Izzy an actual target man to aim at.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Based on that 2nd half, he's the the player who I have the most confidence in beating his man.

He doesn't seem to have the pace nor the work ethic for running the channels though. I'd like to see him played behind Murray for one of our more winnable games since Gross has been out of sorts lately.

Has he had any starts behind the striker? Can only remember:-

Man City (H) - Left side
Arsenal (A) - Striker
Liverpool (H) - Left side

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
he was shocking at Arsenal (though out of position).
Listening to a recent interview with Graeme Le Saux, he was specifically talking about signing for Blackburn, while throughout the entire interview the subtext was the various positions he played in during his career.

Dalglish said to him:-

'I'm signing you as a left back, if I play you in any other position that's on me, and me alone'.

As we know Le Saux signed and gave the impression it was pretty much on the basis of that statement (and hero worship).

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I go along with all that.

In the second half he appeared to get forward more and was a much better prospect. So much so, I was sad to see him leave the pitch.

More of that please.

HTFC rated him last season, and I think there is potential there. Saying ‘Go Home’ is just plain silly. He hasn’t set the world on fire yet, but then again he hasn’t had the starts he might have had and was injured in game one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I too had my doubts but didn’t express them on here because the guy hadn’t been given a decent amount of game time. I was really impressed with him second half. His defending left Bong exposed but going forward he looked promising. CH will ensure he defends better if he gets a decent run, I’m sure.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Based on that 2nd half, he's the the player who I have the most confidence in beating his man.

He doesn't seem to have the pace nor the work ethic for running the channels though. I'd like to see him played behind Murray for one of our more winnable games since Gross has been out of sorts lately.

Has he had any starts behind the striker? Can only remember:-

Man City (H) - Left side
Arsenal (A) - Striker
Liverpool (H) - Left side

Interesting point.

I’ve stated on this thread rest Gross and replace him with Brown.

Brown has a trick, so does Solly, Knockaert, KLL (fwiw) and arguably Murphy, but Skalak doesn’t but does Izquierdo?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I too had my doubts but didn’t express them on here because the guy hadn’t been given a decent amount of game time. I was really impressed with him second half. His defending left Bong exposed but going forward he looked promising. CH will ensure he defends better if he gets a decent run, I’m sure.

Yes, reckon he got a rollicking at half-time, because he was better as well defensively in the second half.

Bong also gave him an earful after 10 mins, but he just didn’t track enough, hence I wonder if he may better deployed elsewhere.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Interesting point.

Brown has a trick, so does Solly, Knockaert, KLL (fwiw) and arguably Murphy, but Skalak doesn’t but does Izquierdo?

Until Saturday I thought he's rapid and strong with low centre of grav very similar to Knockaert but without the tricks, then he went on that run after being brought on so I hope to see more of that. He's at his most dangerous when running onto switches of play and forward balls obviously but he does seem excellent at getting on the outside of his man which is a shame as he always wants to cut back inside. Teams are well prepared and know our two wide players are very one-footed so unfortunately show them onto their weaker sides.

In that regard inside forwards are quite frustrating, if they get it to the byline the best you can hope for is them taking the full back on by running into the box or winning a corner. The overlap from the full back needs to happen before that.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/

Double post

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting point.

Izquierdo is the one forward player with real pace. I am surprised we don’t play more balls over the top as we did against Stoke for him to run on to. He also has trickery and a quick change of direction. That run that he almost scored from opened them right up.

I’m a big fan unlike one of the people I go with who doesn’t rate him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What the fudge is wrong with people. :angry:

Judging by NSC since Saturday, our captain could be holding the 'Champions of the Universe Nebula Time and Space' trophy aloft and people will still be moaning. FFS ******* the lot of 'em :rant:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Izquierdo is the one forward player with real pace. I am surprised we don’t play more balls over the top as we did against Stoke for him to run on to. He also has trickery and a quick change of direction. That run that he almost scored from opened them right up.

See, I rate him, but really not sure on the trickery front. I think his gift is pure pace.

I was staggered that given Brown’s success against the right back, we didn’t hit Izquierdo every time.

As you say, the one time he did go on a run, he nearly scored.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What the fudge is wrong with people. :angry:

Judging by NSC since Saturday, our captain could be holding the 'Champions of the Universe Nebula Time and Space' trophy aloft and people will still be moaning. FFS ******* the lot of 'em :rant:

Come on [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] we were very poor Tuesday and Saturday let’s not mask it [emoji2].

They are not suddenly bad players, but equally they all need to step up vs Huddersfield, as for me Bong apart nobody played to the same level as they had vs Utd.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] we were very poor Tuesday and Saturday let’s not mask it [emoji2].

They are not suddenly bad players, but equally they all need to step up vs Huddersfield, as for me Bong apart nobody played to the same level as they had vs Utd.
I thought Tuesday was the oddest game of 'cancel each other out' football I have ever seen.
The match ups (sorry about that phrase) across the entire pitch generated nothing, they could be out there now and it would still be 0-0. It is easy for me to chalk that up as one of those games.

I certainly didn't see the Albion's performance v Liverpool as poor, either.
As said before ball retention was off, and a striker is desperately needed (nothing new there) not exactly time to throw the baby out as well.

My only criticism is hypothetical, I'd have liked to see a bit more squad rotation from Stoke through to Liverpool as I think that might have generated a couple more points.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I thought Tuesday was the oddest game of 'cancel each other out' football I have ever seen.
The match ups (sorry about that phrase) across the entire pitch generated nothing, they could be out there now and it would still be 0-0. It is easy for me to chalk that up as one of those games.

As said before ball retention was off, and a striker is desperately needed (nothing new there) not exactly time to throw the baby out as well.

My only criticism is hypothetical, I'd have liked to see a bit more squad rotation from Stoke through to Liverpool as I think that might have generated a couple more points.

I wouldn’t say poor either ..but I can see where Teddy is coming from and CH himself said we weren’t up to our recent standards and if you aren’t u get done ..simple as that

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am continually surprised that our midfield do not hit balls for Iziquierdo to the area between the right back and the corner flag to give him the opportunity to run the full back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Two points:

You are not permitted to say the same as me about the two teams being scared of each other and cancelling each other out as neither was prepared to take a chance.

We do not have the players of comparable quality to rotate many of our squad. The only position is possibly out wide with 2 from 3 of AK SM and JI. Other than that we have to change the formation slightly to bring in IB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here