Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inigo's appreciation thread

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I sincerely hope somebody has had a quiet word with him about future coaching possibilities at the academy. By all means play on Ingi but come back when you're done, eh?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think he outweighs Vicente. His contribution and commitment were immense and a big part of the 'team'.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Calde won us over instantly with the enthusiasm and effort he plays with, and he would be a fan favourite if this was all he gave us. But Calde is not just a wholehearted player, he is a wholehearted man, and gave much of his spare time to help others, and did it all with such obvious joy.
I doubt we will ever see a player at our club with a bigger heart than Calde, and I feel very proud and privileged to have had him represent us, on and off the pitch.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There's an open letter from Calde in the Argus today. If you can read it and not weep buckets then you're made of stone.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
There's an open letter from Calde in the Argus today. If you can read it and not weep buckets then you're made of stone.

This. Wiping the last few remaining tears from my eye as I type this. I think this is testament enough to the great man that his whole hearted devotion, skill and basic human decency can reduce a 37 year old man, who has never met him, to tears. Come back soon Calde!

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants

And I thought I was the only softie on here.

I am absolutely gutted that I will not see him in the stripes again, or even just on the side line roaring the team on.

Thank you Calde for the pleasure you have given us thousands of fans over the past 6 years.

We will be following your remaining years in football.

Adios Amigo.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Bloody hell, I knew I'd find reading this sad, but not THAT sad :tantrum:

How cool is it that his son's first word was Seagulls?

Inigo Calderon paid tribute to everyone at the club following his departure.

Inigo Calderon has written the following open letter to all associated with Brighton & Hove Albion, including the fans, staff and all his teammates during seven seasons at the club.

Simply, thank you all!

Hola, It’s been a difficult month for the BHAFC family, but just in terms of results. I’ll explain that later.

Last Tuesday, after the defeat in the play-offs, I was told that my career as a Brighton & Hove Albion had reached the end.

Firstly I felt devastated, then sad, followed by a lot emotions, none of them positive. But I am person who always tries to be positive and in this case I had to do the same.

I started to think about the time when I made my debut, fighting to escape relegation from League One, when we trained in a training ground that wasn't even a training ground and playing games in a stadium that wasn’t a stadium either.

And then, when I was leaving the new 'proper' training ground, I said to myself, "Wow, I have played 231 games, scored 19 goals, now we play in a beautiful stadium, and we are disappointed because we should be in the Premier League. I thought I ought to be proud of having been part of all this."

So I stopped crying and I started enjoying all these memories. And then I realised that the most important were all those individuals whom I worked, lived, shared experiences with, and my gratitude to them, so...

Thanks first to my family, without them all this would not have been possible. It’s going to be difficult to explain to my four-year-old son that Daddy is not playing for Brighton & Hove Albion any more, his first English word was Seagulls, fact! My seven-month-old daughter was born in Brighton, we were sure about this decision.

My wife is now checking all the clubs around Brighton, she wants to live here, we love it: it’s not England, it’s just Brighton.

Obviously thanks to every single one working with and for Brighton & Hove Albion, to all the managers and staff I’ve worked with, AITC, people working at the training ground, academy managers and players… from the chefs, to the cleaners, to the chairman.

I cannot name everyone, because there are too many good people involved. But I want to highlight my teammates. I’ve been with some very good players but most importantly, good people, they have made me enjoy so much throughout these seven seasons.

Every single day I've enjoyed training and working with them; being so far from home, they have been my family and friends. As I said before I cannot name all of them, because I don't want to leave anyone out.

Finally, but trust me, is a very, very special part of this letter for the fans. I cannot thank the fans enough for all the support and love you have given me, since the very first day, you have made me feel unbelievably proud of being part of this club, too many times astonished and ashamed because I have never thought I deserved so much appreciation!

Fans are the real blood of football in general, and clubs in particular. Without you, nothing would be possible, and Brighton & Hove Albion has high-quality blood. You are amazing, and you have made me understand that the most important thing is not just winning games, but trying your best to do it.

And you are right, as I said at the beginning of this letter, maybe the results haven’t been the ones we all fairly deserved, but you are extremely proud of being Albion supporters, and that’s it.

For me, seeing fans waiting desperately for Saturday at 3pm, to enjoy with their team, no matter the result, that’s it. Seeing kids in the school or in the parks with Albion shirts instead of the big clubs and easy ones, that’s it. We have done it, and I do feel part of this.

So, just to end, like I said, I will try to remember all those memories, always with a smile in my face, because all of you have created a wonderful fairy tale, but as every tale it has to have an end.

So, many, many thanks and see you soon, because it’s not a goodbye, I know I will come back, I have to.

Thanks, gracias, eskerrik asko!

P.S. If they ask you... Yes, I did score with my face!

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/inigo-calderons-open-letter-3121129.aspx#8leZqsGp710ckiki.99

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
His every word and sentiment were miniature emotion-filled stabs to my ever dry tearducts. Finishing off with the fact that he has to come back sent my addled mind into thoughts of that day, of his beaming bearded face striding back into the stadium, even as a halftime guest, and letting us know that things are fine and well with him but that his heart remains with us, and that's near sending me over the edge with sadness and happiness and truly warm pride. I beg for the day of his return, and thank him for the feelings he's given all of u and I hope in small ways given him.

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
spanish_gracias_thank_you_card-r33dfff70009848128cc0b80806a412c9_xvua8_8byvr_512.jpg Inigo

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's been a fantastic journey since Calde arrived in Brighton. He WILL be missed. When we talk about legends he is right up there at the pinnacle. Adios, hasta la vista Inigo.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
First my wife read it and was in tears, then I read it and was in tears, & then i read it to my son and we were all in tears...
All my son could say was "But who's name do I have on my shirt next season now?"
Every time a new one has come out hes had a Calde #14 & had it signed by the man himself....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] wrote the following earlier this week...

About an hour after the final whistle at the Sheffield Wednesday match, while waiting to do some player interviews, I witnessed something extraordinary and moving.

The legend that is Inigo Calderon, still in his kit, came out of the dressing room, walked down the tunnel and out into the empty stadium.

He stood on the touchline for about ten minutes, facing the pitch. When he turned and came back up the tunnel, it was obvious he'd been crying his eyes out.

Whether it was the failure to get to Wembley or that he thought he might not wear the stripes at the Amex again, who knows? I might be a journalist, but there are some questions you don't ask.

Anyone who thinks players don't care should have seen that. But then Calde is far above being your average player, as we all know.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The thought of Calde turning out for anyone but the Albion just feels plain wrong.
He belongs on the training staff. If we want automatic promotion next season the club needs his motivational skills.

Love this man!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here