We're On Our Way...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We are, aren't we?

The problem is, as we sing, "How do we get there? I don't know."

If we had been provided with an itinerary before the journey started, and that had indicated that we'd need to take in a gut-wrenching loss on a Tuesday night, followed by a rather calamitous 3-0 defeat away at strugglers a few days later, then we'd be OK with that.

We'd be OK because we'd look at the itinerary and allow our eyes to move down to the end, where it showed that Brighton & Hove Albion were taking a place in the Premier League for the 2017-18 season.

We love football because no such itinerary exists. We sometimes win when we least expect it, and lose when we think we only need to turn up.

We're on our way. To the Premier League.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are, aren't we?

If we had been provided with an itinerary before the journey started, and that had indicated that we'd need to take in a gut-wrenching loss on a Tuesday night, followed by a rather calamitous 3-0 defeat away at strugglers a few days later, then we'd be OK with that.

We'd be OK because we'd look at the itinerary and allow our eyes to move down to the end, where it showed that Brighton & Hove Albion were taking a place in the Premier League for the 2017-18 season.

We love football because no such itinerary exists. We sometimes win when we least expect it, and lose when we think we only need to turn up.

When was the last time we won when didn't expect it? Birmingham? Fulham? It was quite a few games ago, recently we have lost more games than we have expected against average but pumped up sides. (Newcastle being the exception obviously)

Sorry if this is supposed to be an upbeat thread but we seem to have taken a wrong turning on this route to the Premier League

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
We are, aren't we?

Crivens. All night session?

Good post, hope you're right.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Its not a song to take too literally I dont think, at Sunderland we have been singing it for at least a couple of decades and when we are in the Championship we sing about getting to the Prem and then when we are in it we sing about winning the Prem - given how good (or in fact bad) we have been in the league then its hopeful at best.

That said this is Brighton's best year in my view and a couple of wobbles should be nothing to worry about as long as you turn the tide soon enough

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Just let me know when we get there.
Don't think I can handle much more of this stress. It's taking over my life.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Crivens. All night session?

Good post, hope you're right.

Not at all. A few select craft beers between 3 and 6 and then I was done for the day.

Maybe I'm just trying to offset the angst from [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] I have to put up with.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
We're on our way........

I had the last four as draws (to play safe). We got six instead of four points so ahead of schedule. Leeds away defeat may even put us third and Derby home draw. Win the rest.

We're on our way......

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I know for sure we're on our way........:albion2:

But on the flip side..........

They're on their way,
They're on their way,
Down to the football league,
They're on their way,
How they get there I don't know,
How they get there I don't care
All I know that Palarse is on the way... :rolleyes:

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
When was the last time we won when didn't expect it? Birmingham? Fulham? It was quite a few games ago, recently we have lost more games than we have expected against average but pumped up sides. (Newcastle being the exception obviously)

Ummm, Reading last Saturday? We won 3-0 in case you missed it.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ummm, Reading last Saturday? We won 3-0 in case you missed it.

Given our home form. I did think we might win at home against them. Was it a surprise to you?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I am still feeling very confident as we have some very winnable home games and our form at the Amex is incredible. We need to be more solid on the road and go back to the side that was hard to beat but had the knack of grabbing a goal and shutting up shop.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When was the last time we won when didn't expect it?

I would imagine that amongst the 30,000 or so of us, there are different expectations for different games.

However as a broad generalisation, I'd say that when you're one of the top teams in the division there aren't many games where a win isn't expected to some degree.

Without giving it much thought, I'd say that only the most optimistic of fans saw us breaking our Hillsborough jinx though. A lot of people "would have taken a point" at Barnsley too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
6 points this week and I may start believing again although Naylor rightly points out that Huddersfield to get to 91 points needs 8 wins 2 draws and 2 defeats which is a big ask and of course teams below them need even better

Indeed. We are better off now than we were this time yesterday. Huddersfield are no closer and they have one less game to overhaul us.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Given our home form. I did think we might win at home against them. Was it a surprise to you?

A little bit yes. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was a draw.

Were you only talking about away games which you expected the team to win?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I would imagine that amongst the 30,000 or so of us, there are different expectations for different games.

However as a broad generalisation, I'd say that when you're one of the top teams in the division there aren't many games where a win isn't expected to some degree.

Without giving it much thought, I'd say that only the most optimistic of fans saw us breaking our Hillsborough jinx though. A lot of people "would have taken a point" at Barnsley too.

I think I'd take a point at Rotherham right now

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A little bit yes. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was a draw.

Were you only talking about away games which you expected the team to win?

I guess so, I don't expect to win at Rotherham so that would be unexpected FOR ME :smile:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm really not sure about the "on our way" song, seems we've been less on our way since it's started being sung (Reading being the exception).

it's probably just me though, I'm in an appalling mood today.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here