Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I doubt it. But they might not be necessarily expecting to turn a profit for the first few years. [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] seems well connected to the local scene, do you know who is financially backing this and what are their longer term plans?

I hope it continues as Brighton needs a festival.

Whilst I don't know anything of the financials the two insiders I know have independently confirmed its 99% likely to happen next year, which is good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whilst I don't know anything of the financials the two insiders I know have independently confirmed its 99% likely to happen next year, which is good.

Good news! Thanks.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Anyone heading to Alvvays tonight? Enjoyed them supporting Real Estate last year and have listened to the album a lot since. Expecting this to be a fairly low key gig - they certainly don't look to be a particularly exciting live prospect but maybe proved wrong. Looking forward to a gig at Concorde that isn't sold out as well - great venue when you're not hanging out the back doors into the bar.

Jul 7, 2003
With Jessie-J. That's a Hickstead festival for you. :shrug:

Was thinking more about the outside gig experience. Anyway, Simple Minds have The Proclaimers and The Shires supporting - Jessie J is on Sunday.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I saw Wand at the Green door Store on Tuesday night. I had bought 5 tickets for myself and some chums back in June and was very much looking forward to this. The band was OKAY live, not great but it's not a great venue so I can forgive the sound quality etc. However the organisation of the evening was a total piss take. Lots of little niggling things that are forgivable at a fairly relaxed venue but the two lads on the door/curtain to the performance area were overwhelmed with walk ups and just started letting anyone in without showing/purchasing tickets. Great for the walk ups but I had 60 quid worth of tickets on me and they we're letting so many chancers in that there was no room by the time we decided to try and go through. I really think priority should be given to ticket holders. Was not best pleased. I shall be seeking a full refund.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Anthrax at the concorde in December! Still some resale left at Lout but they are going fast. This should be amazing, the day after the Brixton show with Slayer, I shall be broken!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I saw Wand at the Green door Store on Tuesday night. I had bought 5 tickets for myself and some chums back in June and was very much looking forward to this. The band was OKAY live, not great but it's not a great venue so I can forgive the sound quality etc. However the organisation of the evening was a total piss take. Lots of little niggling things that are forgivable at a fairly relaxed venue but the two lads on the door/curtain to the performance area were overwhelmed with walk ups and just started letting anyone in without showing/purchasing tickets. Great for the walk ups but I had 60 quid worth of tickets on me and they we're letting so many chancers in that there was no room by the time we decided to try and go through. I really think priority should be given to ticket holders. Was not best pleased. I shall be seeking a full refund.

Do so. I've always thought the sound was fine in GDS. Perhaps it's because it's well suited to the racket I tend to listen to there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anthrax at the concorde in December! Still some resale left at Lout but they are going fast. This should be amazing, the day after the Brixton show with Slayer, I shall be broken!

Quite a coup for the Concorde.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Do so. I've always thought the sound was fine in GDS. Perhaps it's because it's well suited to the racket I tend to listen to there.

I like the GDS too, my favourite Brighton venue in fact. I find the sound surprisingly good considering how basic it it, and I enjoy the relaxed feel to it.

However if they were letting in non-ticket holders for free then a refund should be sought.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I like the GDS too, my favourite Brighton venue in fact. I find the sound surprisingly good considering how basic it it, and I enjoy the relaxed feel to it.

However if they were letting in non-ticket holders for free then a refund should be sought.

Agree. I wouldn't bother seeking a refund if I'd actually been able to get in. Bit of a piss take when you can't even enter the performance area for a band you've got tickets for.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree. I wouldn't bother seeking a refund if I'd actually been able to get in. Bit of a piss take when you can't even enter the performance area for a band you've got tickets for.

Sounds a bit shit and seems to have ruined a good gig.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lollapalooza Berlin tomorrow. The 2 Bears, Hot Chip, Franz Ferdinand/Sparks and our very own Fatboy Slim for me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Report back from first night of the Brighton Alternative Jazz Festival:

Woven Entity and Julie Kjaer -- WE are a London-based percussion quartet, who play subtle but complex rhythms, and have an extraordinary multi-instrumentalist who must have played over 50 different instruments during their set. It provided a platform for Kjaer's sax and flute, and was highly impressive. Will check both out in future.

Sarah Gail Brand Sextet -- very much reflects the personality of the band leader, who is full-on, expressive and bold. Big sound, with some great moments, but not my style, and I'd question the extent to which it was alternative.

Kiermyer-Birchall Transcension -- first performance of this drums-double bass-piano-sax quartet. Truly extraordinary musicianship, and a creative noise that was one part racket, another part haunting. Privileged to see this.

I was really pleased that it was well attended, with 200-250, which might mean that there might be a follow-up. We'll see another three bands tonight, all for £30.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Went to see Jacco Gardner at Sticky Mike's last night (bad fan), superb gig. £7, you cannot knock that. Support were very good as well 'Younghusband', never heard of them but would happily pay £7 to see them as headliners.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Saturday night at Brighton Alternative Jazz Festival:

Missed first two acts (West Hill Blast Quartet and Yana) due to the match. The final three were all awesome:

Mette Rasmussen & Steve Noble -- Unbeknownst to me, I'd seen Mette before in Fire Orchestra (there are 28 of them), but she was amazing, really creative with an amazing range of sounds from her sax, and worked really well with Noble.

Rachel Musson Quartet -- another fantastic female sax player, really expressive. Backed up by a vibes player, double bass and drums. Awesome sonic assault.

William Parker, Hamid Drake & John Dikeman -- Parker and Drake have apparently been legends of the jazz scene since the 70s, and there were simply inspiring, making sounds from their rhythm instruments that you -- or I at least -- just couldn't believe could be eked out. Dikeman was a bit of a noise merchant of a sax player, which is no bad thing in my book, but I found him a tad one-dimensional, and preferred the earlier performances from Rachel Musson and Mette Rasmussen.

All in all, I can't praise this event more highly. Fantastic DJs, decent beer in a great venue. There were eight acts, of which I saw six, and loved five of them. I hadn't seen any of them before, so have been exposed to a whole new thread of musicians. It sold out, and the crowd were adoring. Really hope this becomes a regular fixture in Brighton's calendar.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Saturday night at Brighton Alternative Jazz Festival:

Missed first two acts (West Hill Blast Quartet and Yana) due to the match. The final three were all awesome:

Mette Rasmussen & Steve Noble -- Unbeknownst to me, I'd seen Mette before in Fire Orchestra (there are 28 of them), but she was amazing, really creative with an amazing range of sounds from her sax, and worked really well with Noble.

Rachel Musson Quartet -- another fantastic female sax player, really expressive. Backed up by a vibes player, double bass and drums. Awesome sonic assault.

William Parker, Hamid Drake & John Dikeman -- Parker and Drake have apparently been legends of the jazz scene since the 70s, and there were simply inspiring, making sounds from their rhythm instruments that you -- or I at least -- just couldn't believe could be eked out. Dikeman was a bit of a noise merchant of a sax player, which is no bad thing in my book, but I found him a tad one-dimensional, and preferred the earlier performances from Rachel Musson and Mette Rasmussen.

All in all, I can't praise this event more highly. Fantastic DJs, decent beer in a great venue. There were eight acts, of which I saw six, and loved five of them. I hadn't seen any of them before, so have been exposed to a whole new thread of musicians. It sold out, and the crowd were adoring. Really hope this becomes a regular fixture in Brighton's calendar.

Sounds great.

In the end I couldn't go due to unforeseen circumstances (!) - next time. I was really looking forward to it too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here