Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Right I've got the review for Side Ward now

Side Ward:
My Bloody Valentine - You Made Me Realise - I'll be honest, I would see MBV and avoid them normally, no idea why but just stupid preconceptions I guess. Actually, its a good track, kind of lazy spaced out rock - its good
HEALTH - Die Slow - Found this track a little bit weird and didn't like it all that much, I can't explain why (considering I seem to like other tracks that are similar to this, who knows)
Swans - Blind - Sorry, just not my kind of music - didn't like his voice either
Theo Parish - Sweet Sticky - This was cool - funky tune, but you have to really like it as it goes on for a while and there isn't much variation to it
Oneohtrix Point Never - Sleep Dealer - To be honest, I've never really heard anything much like this before - it's kinda cool in a very weird kind of way, I like that it doesn't follow normal convention in terms of breakdowns etc - what a weird name
Jessica Pratt - Mountain'r Lower - Bit surprised when I saw this was from 2012 - Country & Western style. Never listened to this genre much, but I don't dislike it, some nice harmonies and she has a good voice
Anais Mitchell - Why We Build The Wall - I would have maybe liked this song if it didn't have the male vocal in it, I just found it annoying
Chad Van Gaalen - Your Own Mind's End - Again, not a genre I listen to much, kind of folky but it's quite a cool song - i normally dislike folk but I've only really heard the more mainstream stuff - would look at more from Chad Van Gaalen I think
Can - Vitamin C - funky music from the 70s - guys got a great voice. i didnt love it, but i might check more out because his voice is really good and I've never really delved into the depths of music before when I was born. Says it was from 1972 but could easily see it released now and still be well received
Captain Beefheart - Moonlight on Vermont - This is from 1969, but I didnt really like it, couldn't tell you why though....
Burning Spear - Lion - Nice reggae track - don't really listen to anything like this outside of maybe some Bob Marley I would have heard. I didnt love it, but its good
Dr John - You Lie - Really didn't like this
Liars - The Other Side of Mt Heart Attack - I've heard this song before in a movie (500 days of summer maybe) without knowing who made it and I really love it - proper relaxing, emotional stuff, tears flowing
Emeralds - Double Helix - very sci-fi-esque track - quite relaxing, but not sure if i really like it, or just think its ok
Machinedrum - Door(s) - as said before I love Machinedrum, and this is one of my favourite tracks - amazing song and his style is definitely genre-splitting. Definitely give it a listen
Women - Heat Distraction - Quite like this - some cool guitar riffs, not sure about the vocals
Deerhunter - Spring Hall Convert - Listened to a bit of Deerhunter before but not this track - like it, kinda spacey folky music, very chilled, very nice
Black Lips - New Direction - Never really listened to Black Lips, I'm aware of them but normally just avoided it - but I liked this song, fun track and I like the tempo

Overall, this was far more varied than the other disc, which I liked. A lot more here that I would never have listened to, and I'm glad I did, definitely opened my eyes to some genres I had previously shunned for no reason other than I assume prejudice or the fact that it was before my time so I couldnt be bothered.

I have NO idea who this is, but I'd like to know, because their taste in music is very, very good. I used to have a mate I worked with, and we spent all day trading tracks and different music via spotify & soundcloud and it expanded my tastes immensely, I could imagine this person could do the same too (oh dear that sounds like a dating ad) - my wild guess is @<a href="http://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=4675" target="_blank">Frutos</a>

1. Ignoring MBV is silly. They are one of the greatest guitar groups of all time!
2. Extremely suprised, give your response to the other tracks you didn't get on with HEALTH
3. As it goes, that isn't one of my favourite Can tracks. It was just a time constraint issue. Pour yourself a nice glass of something and find some time to sit down and give this a listen, it may well be the best album I've ever heard.

4. That Black Lips track came from an album they recorded with Mark Ronson a couple of years back. Like all Black Lips records, there is some filler on there but my word there are some brilliant songs. Give the album a listen sometime if you can.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Glad you got something from it. I started to get worried after we had a little interaction in the electronic music thread (as you have a really forward thinking and pretty experimental taste in that area) thinking that I hadn't included enough experimental elcetronica. If you like that Joanna Gruesome track, you must give Sonic Youth a go. It reminds me of Kim and co in full flow.

haha - so i had already interacted with you about Machinedrum, and you had your name in one of the songs I received, and i still didnt get it - how embarrassing.......you could have been able to guess my cd then from the reviews out there then.....

going to have a look at some of these videos, thanks!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Having listened to his radio station yesterday it wasn't difficult! Good work both of you.

Thank you Albumen, I really enjoyed this whole thing. Has my Santa outed themselves yet? I literally have no idea who it was but very much enjoyed the CD as they will see from my review a few pages back.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Thank you Albumen, I really enjoyed this whole thing. Has my Santa outed themselves yet? I literally have no idea who it was but very much enjoyed the CD as they will see from my review a few pages back.

Whoever gets mine, you're just going to get what you get; a dozen or so of my favourite tracks. I think my tastes are quite varied so hopefully something will hit the spot. Just hope that whatever I get has something that I've not heard before and rather like.

I couldn't say . . . .

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Yeah, it was me. As you correctly guessed, I did used to go to a lot of gigs in Brighton between 1977 and 1987ish

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It has been confirmed that the CD I received was not my NSC disc :-(
So, I didn't receive one. Not heard anything from my recipient either.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I think you should start another thread for that kind of thing - let's keep this one clean.

Ha!

Got to be about time. Some santas are going to be named and shamed though!

Santa Recipient
1. Mowgli37 2. TotallyFreaked
2. TotallyFreaked 3. Razzoo
3. Razzoo 4. Hans Kraay Fan Club
4. Hans Kraay Fan Club 5. tinycowboy
5. tinycowboy 6. Jamesandthegianthead
6. Jamesandthegianthead 7. ees complicated, no?
7. ees complicated, no? 8. Carrot Cruncher
8. Carrot Cruncher 9. Herr Tubthumper
9. Herr Tubthumper 10. Yorkshire-Seagull
10. Yorkshire-Seagull 11. Flex Your Head
11. Flex Your Head 12. Red star Portslade
12. Red star Portslade 13. Buzzer
13. Buzzer 14. seagully
14. seagully 15. DavePage
15. DavePage 16. Mellotron
16. Mellotron 17. Albumen
17. Albumen 18. Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo
18. Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo 19. Frutos
19. Frutos 20. Catfish
20. Catfish 21. CorgiRegisteredFriend
21. CorgiRegisteredFriend 22. Pevenseagull
22. Pevenseagull 23. Staly
23. Staly 24. Happypig
24. Happypig 25. spring hall convert
25. spring hall convert 26. willyfantastic
26. willyfantastic 01. Mowgli37

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Thank you [MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION]

I didn't guess you, but I did review and generally enjoy your work. :thumbsup:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Cheers [MENTION=13422]willyfantastic[/MENTION] :) Enjoyed your CD and you've certainly broadened my tastes.

Thanks also to [MENTION=15579]Albumen[/MENTION] for all the time and effort you've put into this, was a great idea and would love to do it again next year :salute:

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Thanks also to [MENTION=15579]Albumen[/MENTION] for all the time and effort you've put into this, was a great idea and would love to do it again next year :salute:

This, all day long. Really enjoyed this thread, here's to many future incarnations of this sort of thing.

And I absolutely hate you, [MENTION=18963]ees complicated, no?[/MENTION] :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here