Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How different is your NSC persona from you in real life?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Why is it so difficult for you people to understand? (I've had the same exchange with the man himself in the past - I'm sure he appreciates one of his gophers covering it for him this time.)

I neither know nor care what anyone on here is 'really' like. Any comments I make are with regard to the person in question's online persona.

I'm not sure if his posts are attention seeking or merely click bait to generate ad income, but the apparent disconnect between this great, humble guy and the way he portrays himself via the keyboard is hilarious.

You struggle with life, don't you.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Why is it so difficult for you people to understand? (I've had the same exchange with the man himself in the past - I'm sure he appreciates one of his gophers covering it for him this time.)

I neither know nor care what anyone on here is 'really' like. Any comments I make are with regard to the person in question's online persona.

I'm not sure if his posts are attention seeking or merely click bait to generate ad income, but the apparent disconnect between this great, humble guy and the way he portrays himself via the keyboard is hilarious.
Thanks.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I am fairly care free on here don't get drawn into arguments if i can help it and respect other views even if i don't agree in totality,very much like i am in real life really..

The downsides are of occasion i can go off on tangent's or miss the obvious and misinterpret, again just as in real life,but on the whole i am fairly normal,laid back and chilled.

Just don't get me talking about God..

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I am fairly care free on here don't get drawn into arguments if i can help it and respect other views even if i don't agree in totality,very much like i am in real life really..

The downsides are of occasion i can go off on tangent's or miss the obvious and misinterpret, again just as in real life,but on the whole i am fairly normal,laid back and chilled.

Just don't get me talking about God..

Whats your views on God?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'm a dickhead in real life.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I think I'm right in saying that we've never met or, if we have, you don't know me very well if at all.

As such you're in no position to judge what I'm like away from the keyboard I'm bashing away on right now. And, as I said in my earlier post, I believe my online persona here (which largely exists to keep NSC ticking along, direct traffic here and stimulate debate) is somewhat different to the physical me.

I'm not great, I'm not particularly humble but I do hate attention and the limelight.

But you don't care, so it doesn't matter.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm Patrick Bateman from American Psycho in real life and only ever one tailgating car inches from my rear bumper away from slaughtering the entire human race. On here I try (and often fail) to keep the psychosis hidden.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'm fairly friendly irl. If i was in a similar debate off the board i would express the same opinions. I do not use the ##### or really insult posters that have a different opinion to me on here.....and i do not use them when i am debating off the board.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have actually told a UK rail worker "this wouldn't happen in Germany" :lolol:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I'm not sure I give the best impression of myself when armed with a keyboard - I think I come across as a bit snappier on here than I'd like to think ...blah, blah, blah.

Really...? Do you think so ?

This is, in no way meant as criticism of yourself or any of your moderators.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just like the Brad Paisley song "I'm so much cooler online"

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What a completely fascinating set of responses, with most seemingly being prepared to engage with the question, a few posting amusing (to different degrees) one-liners, and a couple taking another opportunity to have a pop at someone, without engaging with the question posed by the thread at all.

In addition to learning about Guy's posting being modified by him feeling he represents an entire nation which I've previously commented on, I've also learnt that another reason why someone's postings may vary in tone is because they're depressed and their mood has swung significantly. This, of course, isn't rocket science, but it is interesting that in my list of possible reasons why people's posts may sometimes be atypical (for them), I hadn't listed a possible health condition as a cause. I'm somewhat ashamed that such a cause wasn't on my list.

Two or three people have picked up on existentialism (and post-modernism) - a thread on NSC about philosophy would be an absolute hoot. We should do it.

To those who have exposed a tiny bit about themselves - very many thanks! To those that think they haven't exposed anything at all - you have, you know! :wink:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Two or three people have picked up on existentialism (and post-modernism) - a thread on NSC about philosophy would be an absolute hoot. We should do it.

Ha, now you're talking. I nearly became a philosophy lecturer, I was actually offered a part-time teaching post but turned it down to strike off in another direction. Sadly, I don't think threads on Frege's mathematics, Tarski's truth theory and modal logic would find many takers.

FWIW, my NSC persona is pretty much the same as my everyday one: pedantic, nit-picking and sarcastic :)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Tarski's truth theory.... would find many takers

"Henkin pointed out that in both cases one could give a natural semantics in terms of Skolem functions. For example the second sentence can be paraphrased as

∃f∃g ∀v1 ∀v3R(v1,f(v1),v 3,g(v3)),

which has a straightforward Tarski truth condition in second order logic."

My emphasis.

I think you might be right!

Ethics might be a better starting point?

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Heaven forfend if IRL I were a hammock-dwelling, mai tai drinking, sandal-wearing habitué of the Hawaiian islands. it is merely a front as I hardly ever wear sandals and especially not after Labor Day (sic) or August Bank Holiday in old money.

That nice Mr. Nylon was here once and he will vouch for dicing with death as we careened around the island's more rural byways in my red Ford truck. Fortunately, the mai tais we shared a while later did not disappoint.

:unclesam:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think some of what I write on here comes across as aggressive but if you were to talk to me I would say the same things but you would hear that I am not an aggressive person at all. The intonation doesn't come across on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here