Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Pritchard

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
But if you can not get basic facts right, why would you trust a paper over anything else?

In simple terms:- One of those issues they can get sued for and the other they can't. I'll trust them on the one that they have to get right over someone getting some maths wrong

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
To be fair, if my company offered me a new job, I accepted but didn't sign and then someone offered me the same job but for double the money, I'm not sure I'd turn it down.

Yes, one has to be consistent and accept that what Pritchard seems to be doing, is what most of us would do given the same set of circumstances. Greed has always been part and parcel of the game, as with most walks of life, but perhaps the difference here and what might have happened decades ago, is the role of an agent, who presumably finds what one club is paying and then touts round for more. This is pure conjecture on my part, but do wonder what contact there might have been with Norwich during negotiations with us?? Albion had not said anything, and presumably Spurs too, so how did they know exactly when to pounce?

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
I think the irony that NAN was going for went totally right over your head didnt it?!? NAN is the last person to belittle teams who've hit the big time.

As for Norwich... historically yes but stadium size, fan base? It's all relative.

I can spot irony - OK he may have been taking the mick, but it didn't look like it. For his sake I hope he is, being a respectable journo etc etc..(apparently)

Regarding Norwich - yes I was talking historically, fair enough Brighton are getting to a similar level now but they haven't been in the past.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Kubler-Ross.jpg

I'd say some are still stage 2 (anti-Norwich snobbery), a few flitting around 4 (he couldn't even make West Brom's team), but most of us are a firm 3.

As Kubler-Ross says, time to move on.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Can we start slagging off a player who made a financial decision which most people would have done. As far as I am aware he had no affiliation/association with Brighton prior to our wanting to sign him so why do people feel he has betrayed us? All this discussion has devalued our appreciation of Oliver Norwood who has joined and on paper is a better player than Pritchard i.e. he has teh experience and ratings to show he will be good. APs claim to fame is he played 2 times for spurs and he was an England U21 player. Well we have let our England U21 player go out on loan and he had bags more championship experience.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
This is why we have to keep our transfer activity so tight. I'm sure* a signing will pop out of left field soon.

*based on nothing at all.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is why we have to keep our transfer activity so tight. I'm sure* a signing will pop out of left field soon.

*based on nothing at all.

Like yesterday do you mean?

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Had a conversation last night about this apparently Norwich only jumped in with their parachute payments to stop us strengthening. Makes sense as they are not desperate for a player in that position if this is the case then we will have little chance of securing top British talent.
8 million plus wages is a lot just to deny us a player when we can just look at alternatives, It may have factored in the decision but I cant see any well run club doing that as the sole reason.
[emoji38]ol:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I can spot irony - OK he may have been taking the mick, but it didn't look like it. For his sake I hope he is, being a respectable journo etc etc..(apparently)

Regarding Norwich - yes I was talking historically, fair enough Brighton are getting to a similar level now but they haven't been in the past.

:thumbsup: Hope you have another great season in the Premiership (and hope we see you there next year)

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Why not stipulate parachute payments can only be spent on existing players wages not to fund new players and wages? Simples - next problem.
That would push up wages as smaller clubs would only get the full benefit of parachute payments if massively overspending on wages.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Can we start slagging off a player who made a financial decision which most people would have done. As far as I am aware he had no affiliation/association with Brighton prior to our wanting to sign him so why do people feel he has betrayed us? All this discussion has devalued our appreciation of Oliver Norwood who has joined and on paper is a better player than Pritchard i.e. he has teh experience and ratings to show he will be good. APs claim to fame is he played 2 times for spurs and he was an England U21 player. Well we have let our England U21 player go out on loan and he had bags more championship experience.

Way I see it and its pure conjecture but he wanted a move for his profile and of course wages . He's been probably paid vast sums by spurs and had all the trappings of being a Prem player so wanted one of the prem clubs mentioned or a Newcastle / Norwich type to not feel like has fallen so far from grace ie Certainly not a Brighton who are not deemed fashionable or big in this division much like a Wigan or Huddersfield wouldn't be. Him and his agent been waiting for a few weeks for someone to make there move. In my opinion they've both used us to lure out the attractive offers elsewhere. Its been a clever game of greed and unfortunately we've been used. All conjecture but I'm happy to think that and now make him a comical villain ...... its football after all.

As for the comparisons to Norwood, different players. Pritchard has been in team of the year for this division so isn't lesser to Norwood and what hurts is he would of been exactly the player we needed. Almost the final part of a jig saw.

All opinions and its gone now.

Happy with Norwood who bolsters our CM options.

What we really need is a pacey striker to compete with Baldock . . . hopefully we have equally good targets who will want to come here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here