Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cooking Ingredients You Were Introduced To

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I've tried that but just don't get it, Why not just eat cauliflower florets with your dinner rather than going to all that hassle?
See I thought that until the missus started her diet and made me some. I'm converted

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wouldn't bother BG. I have just had a look at the hairy bikers recipe and they do it all wrong I'm afraid.

My sister in law did one recently for us and I had never eaten moussaka but my wife loves it. She said this one was comparable with the best she has had in Cyprus. I really enjoyed it, as we visited my brother and sister in law and had agreed on a Chinese Take away from Jasmine Kitchen in Rowlands Rd Worthing but my sister in law surprised us by cooking the dinner herself. She is a very good cook but used that recipe. Do you know of a better one to use?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don't suppose you are prepared to post a recipe given that your background sounds pretty appropriate ?

A basic one... chicken thighs or any part of chicken, or beef or anything really.

Chicken thighs skinned
1 White onion
Bunch of fresh Coriander (cilantro)
2 Tomatoes
Pinch of Salt
Plenty of black pepper
Chillies - optional (Scotchies or whatever you like)
1 tin Coconut milk
2 tablespoons of Thai Fish sauce
4 Potatoes
Chilli powder optional
2 tablespoons Jeera powder
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon ginger paste
1 dollop Pataks Madras (or to your choice) paste

For the massala
1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
2 teaspoons Coriander seeds
2 teaspoons Mustard seeds
1 tablespoon Cumin seeds
4 Cardamon pods
2 star anise

For the rice
Tilda
6 Cardamon pods
Small handful of Cumin seeds
6 Cloves
Cinnamon stick broken into three pieces
Colouring optional - if you do, orange, red and green

Chop onion into fine pieces and fry til golden and soft.
Chop toms roughly and add to the onions.
Chop chillies (or if scotchies and too hot for your pallet just puncture) and add to the fry.
I don't use cilantro as a garnish, it gets finely chopped and added into the fry.
For the massala, put into a grinder and grind to a powder.
Add the massala, garlic, ginger, chilli and jeera powder and paste and mix til it becomes a paste.
Add the chicken.

In the meantime chop the skinned potatoes into bite size chunks and par boil, add a teaspoon of turmeric to the water, adding some cilantro is optional.

Add the coconut milk and a few teaspoons of fish sauce to the paste you are cooking. Allow it to simmer.
When the potatoes are par boiled add them to the curry and some of the water it was boiled in to get a full gravy, depending how thick or runny you want it.

I cheat on rice and use a rice boiler or whatever they're called.

4 cups of Tilda and four cups of water. Add the cloves, cardamon, cumin seeds and cinnamon sticks and leave it to cook. If you want to tri-colour it add the tiniest amount of all three colours. Don't mix it up until the rice is done.

I think that's about it off the top of my head.

Edit: This will do for six and one sitting. I usually do it for just me and the girlie and it lasts three days, and the more it marinades in it's own sauce the better it tastes the next day.

Last edited:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Mung Beans, Husband is a piscatorial, and I only have meat a couple times a week. Stick them in with soya mince and it tones down the somewhat "sweet" flavour and also makes for a meaty texture. Have made various fake mince dishes with them (lasagne, shepherds pie, chilli, bolognaise etc) and even our meat eating friends really like them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A basic one... chicken thighs.

Chicken thighs skinned
1 White onion
Bunch of fresh Coriander (cilantro)
2 Tomatoes
Pinch of Salt
Plenty of black pepper
Chillies - optional (Scotchies or whatever you like)
1 tin Coconut milk
2 tablespoons of Thai Fish sauce
4 Potatoes
Chilli powder optional
2 tablespoons Jeera powder
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon ginger paste
1 dollop Pataks Madras (or to your choice) paste

For the massala
1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
2 teaspoons Coriander seeds
2 teaspoons Mustard seeds
1 tablespoon Cumin seeds
4 Cardamon pods

For the rice
Tilda
6 Cardamon pods
Small handful of Cumin seeds
6 Cloves
Cinnamon stick broken into three pieces
Colouring optional - if you do, orange, red and green

Chop onion into fine pieces and fry til golden and soft.
Chop toms roughly and add to the onions.
Chop chillies (or if scotchies and too hot for your pallet just puncture) and add to the fry.
I don't use cilantro as a garnish, it gets finely chopped and added into the fry.
For the massala, put into a grinder and grind to a powder.
Add the massala, garlic, ginger, chilli and jeera powder and paste and mix til it becomes a paste.
Add the chicken.

In the meantime chop the skinned potatoes into bite size chunks and par boil, add a teaspoon of turmeric to the water, adding some cilantro is optional.

Add the coconut milk and a few teaspoons of fish sauce to the paste you are cooking. Allow it to simmer.
When the potatoes are par boiled add them to the curry and some of the water it was boiled in to get a full gravy, depending how thick or runny you want it.

I cheat on rice and use a rice boiler or whatever they're called.

4 cups of Tilda and four cups of water. Add the cloves, cardamon, cumin seeds and cinnamon sticks and leave it to cook. If you want to tri-colour it add the tiniest amount of all three colours. Don't mix it up until the rice is done.

I think that's about it off the top of my head.

How many is that intended to serve?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So the answer basically is 6 meals. I once worked for a man whose wife came from Singapore and she lefta curry cooking all day Sunday then left it and they ate it on Wednesday to allow for it to marinate to enhance the flavour, Is this similar?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Fair play to you but it wasn't for me, now cauliflower with a bit of cheese over the top I do like.
Bit of cheese?
BIT of cheese?
LOTS of cheese, must have mustard in the cheese sauce though :drool:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So the answer basically is 6 meals. I once worked for a man whose wife came from Singapore and she lefta curry cooking all day Sunday then left it and they ate it on Wednesday to allow for it to marinate to enhance the flavour, Is this similar?

Very much so, the longer left the better it tastes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Slightly OT my wife made a chilli for a party at my sons that included BBQ and jacket potatoes and had some left. My son put it in the freezer some 8 months ago. He took it out this week and put it in the microwave for his dinner and he said it had got so hot he couldnt eat it not even by adding yoghurt to bring it down. How did it get hotter being frozen?

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I'm no Masterchef contestant but I believe you marinate raw meat. As you say though a curry left a day or two definitely gets more flavour. Not sure what the word for that process is though.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Larks Tongues, makes a great snack at games.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Slightly OT my wife made a chilli for a party at my sons that included BBQ and jacket potatoes and had some left. My son put it in the freezer some 8 months ago. He took it out this week and put it in the microwave for his dinner and he said it had got so hot he couldnt eat it not even by adding yoghurt to bring it down. How did it get hotter being frozen?

I'm not sure how it got hotter BG but keeping mince in a freezer for 8 months isn't the best idea. It'll be harmless enough (if reheated properly) but the quality of the meat would deteriorate after 2 or 3 months. In fact, that might help explain it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm not sure how it got hotter BG but keeping mince in a freezer for 8 months isn't the best idea. It'll be harmless enough (if reheated properly) but the quality of the meat would deteriorate after 2 or 3 months. In fact, that might help explain it.

Son forgot it was in there and when he saw it he used it. I wonder how many people have food in the bottom of the freezer that they have forgotten that they had frozen or bought.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Maybe putting it in the freezer made it chilli-ier?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here