Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grammar quiz!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It has nothing to do with grammar but it is true. :kiss:

I have learned many strange things in my lifetime - and I'm still learning. One of the things I've learned is when to decide what needs to go into my memory bank and what needs to be filed under wtf,why would I need that.
But OK, I'm in a good mood - humour me. Jesus Morales - wtf?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I have learned many strange things in my lifetime - and I'm still learning. One of the things I've learned is when to decide what needs to go into my memory bank and what needs to be filed under wtf,why would I need that.
But OK, I'm in a good mood - humour me. Jesus Morales - wtf?

Cursing for the Mexicans. Another form of Jesus Christ.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Cursing for the Mexicans. Another form of Jesus Christ.

Thank you - but I think that will be one I file under wtf, why would I bother!

PS. Would his dog then be Jesus Morales' dog or Jesus Morales's dog? His first name is biblical, but his second (unless I'm very much mistaken) is not! Best not let him have a dog, I guess...............................

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
5/10

Gutted, I alway's thought I put my apostrophe's in the right place's.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Thank you - but I think that will be one I file under wtf, why would I bother!

PS. Would his dog then be Jesus Morales' dog or Jesus Morales's dog? His first name is biblical, but his second (unless I'm very much mistaken) is not! Best not let him have a dog, I guess...............................

Morales was the 13th son of Abraham. He ended up doing almost all the handy work as most husbands do.

El perro de los Morales

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
In 60 odd years I have never heard about that differential between biblical proper nouns and other proper nouns before - so I went to the bible for these things, Fowler's Use of English.
It appears that the s' form was the correct way for all (singular) proper nouns ending in s (and that's what I'd have been taught at school from an early age right up to my English Language GCE, many years ago) but that in recent years the s's format has come to be the accepted correct format, with the exception of biblical and poetic examples.
So, change is taking/has taken place - and I now confidently expect that what I said earlier, that in a few years s's will be the proper format in all cases, will come to pass sooner rather than later.

OK, I'll count my 9/10 as 9.5/10 !

I too was 9.5 for the same reason:thumbsup:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
9/10 - but the BBC have got it wrong, or inconsistent at least. Questions 2 and 6 should have the same answer.
If Jesus' is correct for something belonging to Jesus, then Harris' is correct for something belonging to Harris (although due to common usage, Jesus's and Harris's may well become the 'proper' answers in a few years). BBC claim Jesus' is right, but Harris' is wrong - can't have it both ways!

I agree. And they undermine their own case by talking about 'most style guides' - but many style guides say that if the syllable is pronounced then you need the s.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I got Qs 6 and 10 wrong, but the answers are wrong. It is Qs 6 and 10, not Q's 6 and 10. FFS.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
9/10 - but the BBC have got it wrong, or inconsistent at least. Questions 2 and 6 should have the same answer.
If Jesus' is correct for something belonging to Jesus, then Harris' is correct for something belonging to Harris (although due to common usage, Jesus's and Harris's may well become the 'proper' answers in a few years). BBC claim Jesus' is right, but Harris' is wrong - can't have it both ways!

I agree, other wise St James's Street would be bad grammar, which it isn't.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

I got 9 out of 10 for exactly this reason

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think much of this quiz so far. How many godfathers do I have?

I'm not sure they're correct about Jesus' vs Jesus's. It says "Most style guides recommended a single apostrophe to form the possessive of Biblical or classical names." What? Style guides? A 'guide' doesn't sound like a 'rule' to me. And who said the Jesus they spoke of was the biblical one?

I agree, other wise St James's Street would be bad grammar, which it isn't.
I think the rule is different for place names.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here