Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin Samuel in The Mail today - Brighton Beware

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
That reply (about the events in the Palace dressing room that night) is still there if you look.

I've seen it now after spending far too long on the Mail website-I need a shower now!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Absolute cobblers, that's not what he's "attempting to debunk" at all. A classic example of deciding exactly what you want to think about the piece before you've even read it, because you don't like the journo. And then slagging it off accordingly. No its not Pulitzer Prize-winning stuff, its just a general observation piece on a recently promoted club, which doesn't tell us Albion fans an awful lot we don't already know, but might be of some interest to a wider audience.

Signed,

A. Simpleton.

Yeah I will admit to not being a fan of his work (because it's utter guff) but I did at least give him the courtesy of reading it through before commenting before making my mind up. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree as to how interesting this piece actually is.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Decent indeed - for me at least, relegation next season would do nothing whatsoever to dent my appreciation for what Tony Bloom has done for this football club to even the tiniest degree.

I'm pretty sure that's also the case for anyone with half a brain among our support.

I have half a brain and can confirm your hypothesis. Also, regarding the 'who can have imagined . . . Ranieri' bit from the article, those at the club were clearly not in shock or even, as Private Eye used to put it, 'taking out a small onion' (to simulate fake emotion at his passing). I can't see the same happening in any way with Hughton. If we go on a catestrophic run, the man has so much class he'd submit his resignation. And unless Tony and the team were convinced that Hughton was clearly the weak link, they would politely reject his offer. Anyway . . . you have to feel good about the club we all love, right now.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
From 8th to 18th is all very close. When one of those sides beats another they jump several places in the league.

We have to remember that beating such teams at home and not losing to them away will be enough to stay up. The other 7 sides are just for fun and won't be the defining fixtures to our survival

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Well, I think the article is 10 times better than the one everyone fawned over from the Guardian after the wigan game which made the point over and over again that Hughton was black and little else. At least there is a cautionary tale here.

It's not Tolstoy but tomorrows chip paper rarely is.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Better get used to being talked about as relegation certainties, and I, for one, don't appreciate my club being compared to those wankers from Middlesborough.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
What he said was reasonable but not ground breaking.

By the way TB has now spent £300 million on the Albion if my calcs are correct.

£300 million? I'm sure it was 'only' £250 mill last week..did he lose big time in LV last night, or have you recalculated Dale Spephen's contract into the revised figure?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
£300 million? I'm sure it was 'only' £250 mill last week..did he lose big time in LV last night, or have you recalculated Dale Spephen's contract into the revised figure?

Here's the spending under TB. He has recouped some of this via player sales (about £24m). Need to factor in the losses made 2016/17 (I'm estimating a minimum of £40m after paying out bonuses) and £5m upgrade costs during the summer.

Add those into the equation and we are through the £300m barrier.

Albion Spending Under TB.JPG

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This for me would be doing it our way. Give CH a mandate to win a cup

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

No - That's the last thing which would happen. Too much money and effort has gone into getting to the Premier, so staying there and stabilising the club financially has to be the priority.

A good thing about being in the PL is that you come into cups at a later points so if you get lucky draws in the early rounds where fringe players can get you through and suddenly you find yourselves in the quarter final. Then MAYBE, just MAYBE, depending on injury and suspension positions and league position at that point. Thats when you look at the cups but you don't target cups early on.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I used to fall asleep watching Karanka being interviewed, he was a coma inducing bore who basically gets along on the coat tails of Mourinho, another bore.
We have CH, he knows the score; our recruitment was one of the main reasons for our recent success, & we have a head start on the play off winners where that is concerned.
Give me 4th from bottom now & I'll bite your hand off. If we do go down, TB is still the best thing that's ever happened to this club & also CH should stay!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Boro made a right mess of things, if you watched the Chelsea game they played like kids in playground eight players out of position chasing the ball can't imagine us ever playing like that under CH.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Depressing that various versions of this myth are still out there with the ignorant. An enduring legacy of Palace's utterly snide classlessness at the time. I suppose we shouldn't have expected any better of that club though. Riddled from top to bottom with spivs, liars and thieves.

...and as it turned out, a coach driver with suspect bowel control. Just shows how people remember what they want to remember - classless twats

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
What he said was reasonable but not ground breaking.

By the way TB has now spent £300 million on the Albion if my calcs are correct.

Financial Fair play at its best?

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
The majority being on Stadia and corresponding facilities.

That's a shed load of cladding.

I just don't get the 'holier than thou' attitude about Palace being shafted into two administrations by poor owners when you lads are positively crowing about £300M being spent by your owner. The only difference being that Tony Bloom had considerably deeper pockets than Goldberg or Jordan.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here