Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bong

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Ahhh the old blame Bong.

Please do tell me what he did wrong? Already put one person in their place at the station blaming him for the goal when in fact it was Dunk who was caught miles out of position.

Look I like Bong and I don't want to slate any player but since you ask.....there was a horrendous moment in the second half when he let the ball bounce in our area and nearly let them in for a second. His decision-making and passing generally weren't good today. Of course he wasn't the only one to have an off day but personally I think Poc is a better left-back.

That said - I'm happy to let CH decide who is, or isn't, good enough for the Premier League.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I had a couple of bafflingly foolish moanoids behind me today commentating on who should be taken off from early on for being "just plain rubbish". Whilst it wasn't a performance to rejoice over, it was no disgrace, and Bong oughtn't be selected as the incurably faulty one who some, such as the dunderheads behind me, proclaim. I find it, mostly, just unpleasant.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bong was no worse than Knocky, Murray, Hemed or Skalak today. Too many of them didn't perform......and I think their goal was mostly Dunk's fault.

Bong has certainly become a target for some of our fans judging by the reaction where I sit. I've been a big fan of his but he did not come back the same player after his injury, alas. Had a ragged game today where a lot of his passing was off - was he helped by a lot of awful performances around him, of course not. He still might come again if he stays injury free

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Simply put, anyone who thinks Bong is capable of playing in the Premier League for anything other than a bottom 3 team is wrong. He is nowhere near the standard, Hughton will know that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Tut Tut.

Bong seldom made a wayward pass today.

Blimey. I think you and I were watching different games. I thought Bong had a terrible game today, one of his worst. i really don't know if he's PL quality because his consistency worries me. Sometimes he can play sublimely, in complete control and other times he plays like he's a League One standard. If we can get the Bong that used to work so well with KLL then he deserves a chance. As others have said though, that injury seems to have affected part of his game.

Last edited:

theboybilly

When we were really, really good - earlier in the season-Bong was pivotal in our defence. Nobody (except Stephens again) was on their game.
And still I would argue we have yet to put out our best Xl yet we've got promoted. I'll take that

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Forget Bong. Yes, he was disappointing today but bigger players should carry the can more. The biggest single culprit is Knockaert who hasn't performed since Wolves away. All you get from fans is....Knocky was below par....when in fact he was woeful and let his teammates down. He mentally switched off after the Wolves game and hasn't switched on since. Overplaying over and over again and almost becoming a liability. Fans keep finding excuses for Murray....he worked hard etc....when in fact he has been dreadful. He had a straightforward chance, early today and scuffed it horribly. A game changer. He won little in the air and his touch was dreadful. The least said about the ponderous Hemed the better. They don't read each other, don't compliment each other, can't play together.
In one of our biggest games for years seven players decided not to show up. They should be hanging their heads in shame.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Ridiculous blaming Bong when the the front four where utter Shi'ite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't argue with that. To a man they were dreadful. March made little or no difference, wasting ball after ball with poor delivery. Murray, Hemed, Knockaert, Skalak and March should all be having a look at themselves today. I'd struggle to give any of them 5/10.
Funny how Knockaert gets player of the season and fails to perform in about a third of our games and yet Dunk is heroic and consistent, game after game and is taken for granted

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Forget Bong. Yes, he was disappointing today but bigger players should carry the can more. The biggest single culprit is Knockaert who hasn't performed since Wolves away. All you get from fans is....Knocky was below par....when in fact he was woeful and let his teammates down. He mentally switched off after the Wolves game and hasn't switched on since. Overplaying over and over again and almost becoming a liability. Fans keep finding excuses for Murray....he worked hard etc....when in fact he has been dreadful. He had a straightforward chance, early today and scuffed it horribly. A game changer. He won little in the air and his touch was dreadful. The least said about the ponderous Hemed the better. They don't read each other, don't compliment each other, can't play together.
In one of our biggest games for years seven players decided not to show up. They should be hanging their heads in shame.

Agree with every word of that esp. re Knockaert and Murray today. I do wonder if this dramatic drop in form might well be a blessing in disguise for our prospects of staying up next season. It's up to players to prove to Chris Hughton that they deserve their chance next season but rather than perhaps painting a false picture of how much quality we have throughout the team, they are exposing their own frailties and a clear inability from some that you mentioned to stay focused. I hope it's also gets rid of a little bit of arrogance that has, IMO, started to creep in.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I had a couple of bafflingly foolish moanoids behind me today commentating on who should be taken off from early on for being "just plain rubbish". Whilst it wasn't a performance to rejoice over, it was no disgrace, and Bong oughtn't be selected as the incurably faulty one who some, such as the dunderheads behind me, proclaim. I find it, mostly, just unpleasant.

I agree that Bong doesn't deserve to be singled out but I have to disagree about the overall performance. I thought it was a disgrace that seven players failed to show up in one of the most important matches in years. Inexplicable, inexcusable and unacceptable. They let themselves down and they let down 30,000 fans.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Agree with every word of that esp. re Knockaert and Murray today. I do wonder if this dramatic drop in form might well be a blessing in disguise for our prospects of staying up next season. It's up to players to prove to Chris Hughton that they deserve their chance next season but rather than perhaps painting a false picture of how much quality we have throughout the team, they are exposing their own frailties and a clear inability from some that you mentioned to stay focused. I hope it's also gets rid of a little bit of arrogance that has, IMO, started to creep in.

Agree with that Buzzer.
I feel saddened and frustrated that certain key players have allowed their level to drop and as you rightly say, lose focus. Feel that more analysis is needed of players like Knocky, to examine, deep down, their character, their motivation. Sure he has been inspirational and almost talismanic at times this season but he will be exposed more in the PL, where there is no hiding place. Knocky is either right on his game or right off it. He has only really played in about 25 -30 games this season. Certain players ( Hemed in particular ) resorted to diving and histrionics v Bristol, which was embarrassing to watch and clearly demonstrated shortcomings.
Our ' muck and bullet ' players have kept going. Our feted players have decided to lose focus.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So we have two bad games and all of a sudden we are shit? This is what I am reading from this thread.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We need an upgrade at leftback.

Along with either Bong or Pocognoli signed for next season as well. Not both.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
[MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] and [MENTION=17103]Mo Gosfield[/MENTION] have called this one for me.

AK was utterly ineffective today and as a team we lumped balls into the box as if we were aiming for lurch at Bristol city CB to head them out. Hemed went missing as he often does against physical centre halfs and Solly's final ball was invariably dreadful. Why the thread singling Bong out? I'm not convinced he will be here next year or is PL standard but we didn't lose because of him yesterday.

If Murray sticks the one away we had in the opening 10 minutes it's a different game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here