Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Left Back for Next Season

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Sundays papers were saying that Standard Liege are hoping to take Pocognoli back in the summer. I think that Bong would be good cover as indeed would Rosenior but not sure about who would be first choice at left or right back. Logically right back should be Bruno but is his age going to tell on him. As a left back what about Kieran Gibbs who doesnt make the Arsenal team now?

I wasn't going to mention Bruno as everyone is still on cloud 9, but as you have I agree, sorry, legend and all that but not good enough I am afraid.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
I'm happy with Poc 1st Bong 2nd choice. If we don't have one of them next season then I'd like Friend from Boro or Daniels from Bmuff

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Worth mentioning Bong has only played 39 games in 2 seasons for us.... injury prone ?......

Be happy to have him in my squad still, CH is clearly a fan.

In fairness, the lack of games over 2 seasons is primarily because the fella broke his leg. That's not being injury prone, that's just rank bad luck.

I like Bong. He's a good athlete, gets up and down and supports the attack, stays on his feet, and is capable of whipping in some EVIL crosses. I'd have no concerns with him next season.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I think Bruno with Rosenior as back up for right back would be fine as they are both very experienced.

Left back is slightly trickier though as Hughton clearly rates Bong so may keep him, but I fear for him up against some of the Prem wingers... and although I think Pocognoli would be okay for us who know's where he's going to end up. If we really want to improve then we should try to sign Pocognoli as back up & then sign a new first choice left back, releasing Bong.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Kieran Gibbs would be a tremendous signing but I expect there would be better offers for him than us (Liverpool in dire need of a left back). George Friend would be a much more realistic target. A few people have mentioned the Villa left back Jordan Amavi but again I think he would be getting attention from better suitors than BHA.

Both full back positions in my humble opinion need upgrading unfortunately. Glenn Johnson available on a free I understand. Kyle Naughton from Swansea wouldn't be a bad shout either.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
With Gaetan out of contract here, and Poco out at West Brom; what direction do you think we'll go in?

I can see Bong being released and Poco offered a contract, albeit maybe with another first choice coming in.
Interested to learn how you rate Poco over bong. Apart from the splendid goal Poco scored, how has Poco out performed Bong when both have played. On what basis do you believe Bong should be released?

Sent by WEI Device

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think Bruno with Rosenior as back up for right back would be fine as they are both very experienced.

Left back is slightly trickier though as Hughton clearly rates Bong so may keep him, but I fear for him up against some of the Prem wingers... and although I think Pocognoli would be okay for us who know's where he's going to end up. If we really want to improve then we should try to sign Pocognoli as back up & then sign a new first choice left back, releasing Bong.

I would sooner keep Bong as back up and let Pocognoli go back to West Brom or wherever.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
In fairness, the lack of games over 2 seasons is primarily because the fella broke his leg. That's not being injury prone, that's just rank bad luck.

I like Bong. He's a good athlete, gets up and down and supports the attack, stays on his feet, and is capable of whipping in some EVIL crosses. I'd have no concerns with him next season.

Agreed, was just suprised he had played so few games for us. Would be pleased if he signed a new deal, I would be looking for another though i suspect POC wont sign.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Was just thinking him. Would be superb but sadly i don't see him as a realistic signing.

He is a valued member of their 25 man squad for euro and cup games so I doubt they would let him go unless of course they signed a better player. What is the young welsh left back we signed from Wrexham like?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Bruno certainly isn't entirely over the hill yet. Without him, we struggle to control games, so, as our governor, it's important to have him there as a key player for now. We'd have to see how he fares of course, but he's no worry to me. With age, the brainier players develop themselves in the way that they play, so that positionally they're correct at the right time, rather than needing to constantly gallivant. Liam is perfectly good for right-back too, so it'd be left-back we'd mainly think of. The Poc is class, so it could be a pinged-in-cross battle-off for who to keep or have as first choice. Good balls into the box might well be vital, so such an ability will be to our benefit. Look at the likes to Trippier with his crossing technique. It can bring you goals.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
I think we'll definitely keep one of Bong or Poc, if we choose to bring in another left back then Taylor from Leeds if they don't go up, or Friend from Borough would be good signings for us. If Hull go down Robertson would be great but he won't go to us, more likely a mid table team like Stoke.

I think I'd like us to upgrade in this position, keeping Poc if he wants a contract but would be ok with both for next year.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Bong seems to suffer in fans eyes from the fact that he isn't the most pretty on the eye going forward.

In reality he is our best left back defensivly. Watch the games where Poc was in and look out for goals down his side. He's a good player and has one HELL of a delivery on him...but he does like to go for a stroll and leave the opposing winger to slip in. Bong ALWAYS puts defence first and for that reason I'd be stunned if he wasn't here next season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bruno certainly isn't entirely over the hill yet. Without him, we struggle to control games, so, as our governor, it's important to have him there as a key player for now. We'd have to see how he fares of course, but he's no worry to me. With age, the brainier players develop themselves in the way that they play, so that positionally they're correct at the right time, rather than needing to constantly gallivant.

Couldn't agree with you more. People get a bit obsessed with age, but the guy is in fantastic shape, has had few injuries, and is still bombing up and down the wing. I think he is also essential for a Knockeart in top form. Bruno first choice RB for next season is nailed on for me. 37 in October, but that is fine for someone who has looked after themselves as well as he has.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Bong seems to suffer in fans eyes from the fact that he isn't the most pretty on the eye going forward.

In reality he is our best left back defensivly. Watch the games where Poc was in and look out for goals down his side. He's a good player and has one HELL of a delivery on him...but he does like to go for a stroll and leave the opposing winger to slip in. Bong ALWAYS puts defence first and for that reason I'd be stunned if he wasn't here next season.
Spot on.

Sent by WEI Device

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Couldn't agree with you more. People get a bit obsessed with age, but the guy is in fantastic shape, has had few injuries, and is still bombing up and down the wing. I think he is also essential for a Knockeart in top form. Bruno first choice RB for next season is nailed on for me. 37 in October, but that is fine for someone who has looked after themselves as well as he has.

The only thing I would ask the Broons to change would be his low-hanging shorts. In every photo it seems as if his mythological beard is the only hair on any part of him. He's streamlined, but I think that a tad eerie.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Bong could be ok as back up but need someone who can cross, with the pace of the prem, Bruno is just too old(he will always be a legend though), maybe back up RB.

I would take Pocognoli on a free, but Bong isn't good enough for the Premier League. He's been excellent for us for two years, and he'll have his choice of Championship clubs to join.

I'm confused, sometimes it seems like our own fans don't know our own players' strengths.

Bong has an excellent cross, is most certainly not off the pace and his defensive work i'd say is a league above - which is no doubt why Chris brought him in. His weakness is being pressed in possession without an immediate pass on. He'll be offered a new contract above Poco in my opinion. If he doesn't it will probably be down to his injury problems over ability.

As for another poster that I couldn't be arsed to quote, suggesting Bruno 'not being good enough' - words fail me. Yes, he may be exposed with his pace, but we utterly control games with him in possession and has great understanding and synergy on the overlap with AK.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here