Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coventry City v Brighton & Hove Albion U21/23/40s Checkatrade Trophy Tuesday 10th Jan

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Why? I think it gives our Academy players excellent experience of playing against the senior teams from lower divisions. Long may it continue in my opinion.

Because lower league teams get £5K fines for doing exactly the same thing. See Luton.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Because lower league teams get £5K fines for doing exactly the same thing. See Luton.
Well it would be pretty pointless if we played our academy players against a team of league 2 academy players. That'll be why the rule is there I imagine.

We have to abide by different rules for overage players and would probably be kicked out of the competition rather than fined if we broke them.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

Yeah but the whole point is that the Cat 1 academies get to play against senior players from League 1/2 clubs first teams. Otherwise it would just be an U23 cup.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Well it would be pretty pointless if we played our academy players against a team of league 2 academy players. That'll be why the rule is there I imagine.

We have to abide by different rules for overage players and would probably be kicked out of the competition rather than fined if we broke them.

Which is why the competition is a nonsense. It used to be for lower league teams to be able to earn extra money and get a chance to go to Wembley.
Let's face it, we moaned about in when we were in Leagues One and Two. The attendances were rubbish.

Now some bright spark has decided that the Prem and Championship can also join in (as a prelude to trying out League 3, although that seems to have been shelved now). It devalues the competition even more imo.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Which is why the competition is a nonsense. It used to be for lower league teams to be able to earn extra money and get a chance to go to Wembley.
Let's face it, we moaned about in when we were in Leagues One and Two. The attendances were rubbish.

Now some bright spark has decided that the Prem and Championship can also join in (as a prelude to trying out League 3, although that seems to have been shelved now). It devalues the competition even more imo.

Which is why I'm sure they'll have a re-think next season after this 1 year trial.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You think that a young midfielder who has played 75 games in the Championship, and was a starter in a side that finished sixth in this league, would 'possibly be a success' at the arse end of League One?

Which is why a club that can match his wages with us would consider him a good signing but Imho his days and opportunity with us is very limited especislly if we achieve promotion.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
fraid not. Will be blocked online.

Struggling with the logic for this. Who would really be put off going by the fact it was online, despite being on local radio anyway? Or is it to preserve the Player revenue stream? Care to shed any light Mr BBC?

PG

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Struggling with the logic for this. Who would really be put off going by the fact it was online, despite being on local radio anyway? Or is it to preserve the Player revenue stream? Care to shed any light Mr BBC?

It's a contractual thing for league games (but FA Cup matches are freely available on-line). This is an EFL competition, not an FA one, isn't it? So perhaps the contract thing covers this too.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'd predict something like:

Ankergren
Rosenior - Hall - Dallison - Adekugbe
Ince
Bjordal - Towell - Hutchinson - Starkey
Ward

Starkey went off with an injury (possibly a hamstring) in the last round against Wimbledon, I'm not sure he'll be back yet.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'd predict something like:

Ankergren
Rosenior - Hall - Dallison - Adekugbe
Ince
Bjordal - Towell - Hutchinson - Starkey
Ward

last game in the competition v Wimbledon:

ALBION:
Maenpaa;
Collar, Ince, Hall, Hunt;
Hutchinson Starkey (Molumby 59), Towell;
Bjordal (Ward 74), Manu (Tilley 77), LuaLua.

Subs not used: McGill (GK), Barnett, Tighe, Harper.
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...fc-wimbledon-3454956.aspx#CDORTGwSL7TJwqjT.99

I would expect Dallison to play now he has come back from his loan.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

PG

Ask the FA or the EFL - they own the rights and decide who can broadcast what and where.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Wonder why we're not playing the likes of Ince, Towell etc. Can't see us beating Coventry with that team

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here